The Chase Freedom is my personal favorite annual fee free card.  It earns Chase Ultimate Reward points that can be used as cash back or toward gift cards, but if you also have a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Ink Plus Business Card then you can transfer the Ultimate Reward points the Freedom earns to hotel and airline partners like United, British Airways, Hyatt, and more.  This is how I use the Ultimate Reward points my Chase Freedom earns.

This card has valuable rotating 5x bonus categories that change each quarter and do require quarterly registration, but they will send a text to remind you, and I always post reminders here.

Application link: Chase Freedom

The big news for Freedom fans like myself is that the 2014 rotating bonus categories were just announced!

Chase Freedom – 2014 5% Cash Back Calendar

Q1 (January 1 – March 31, 2014): Gas stations, movie theaters and Starbucks stores

Q2 (April 1 – June 30, 2014): Restaurants and Lowe’s home improvement stores

Q3 (July 1 – September 30, 2014): Gas stations and Kohl’s

Q4 (October 1 – December 31, 2014): Amazon.com, Zappos.com and select department stores

The current Q4 categories for 2013 are Amazon.com and select department stores.  I think that the 2014 categories are pretty easy for most people to max out the $1,500 quarterly limit if they think hard enough.  I would have liked to see grocery stores or drug stores return to the list, but I think this list will work pretty well for many of us.  Assuming you can max out the $1,500 quarterly 5x limit, that is 30,000 Ultimate Reward points each year for just $6,000 in spending.

If you get the card now with the limited time 20,000 point (aka $200) sign-up bonus after spending $500 in the first three months, then your total will be as high as 50,000 Ultimate Reward points in the first year with just $6,000 in spending on an annual fee free card!

Note: This offer is not currently available.  To see other offers, please visit the “Top Credit Cards” page.

We haven’t seen the sign-up bonus be this high in quite a while, so if you think the 2014 bonus categories will work for your family then this really is a great time to get this annual fee free card.  It’s been in my wallet for years, and I don’t forsee it going anywhere any time soon.

What do you think of the 2014 bonus categories?

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links, as always thanks for your support!

10 Responses to “Chase Freedom 2014 5x Categories Announced!”

1. hdawg says:

if I refer a friend will they get the $200 bonus still or only $100?

hdawg, good question. The referral thing doesn’t work for my account for some reason, so I can’t try. If anyone knows, feel free to share!

3. Robert says:

Annoyingly, the Refer a Friend links for the Freedom still point to a $100 offer. I tweeted @ChaseSupport about this and they said they’d take it under advisement but I haven’t seen anything change yet.

Similarly, the Chase Sapphire Preferred Refer a Friend links point to the 40k offer instead of the 50k offer.

Now, I bet if a friend signed up through the 10k Freedom link they could get Chase to match the better 20k signup bonus. But with the Sapphire Preferred this approach wouldn’t work because the 50k offer comes with a different annual fee and I haven’t heard of any successful attempts to get them to match it (even if you volunteer to accept the higher annual fee).

All in all, a frustrating situation I’m sure many travel bloggers with (inferior) affiliate links can relate to! :) They should work harder to make sure affiliates (and referral deals) are always for the best current offers.

4. JohnnieD says:

Can I ‘trade’ my Sapphire card for A freedom card and get the bonus? (I have ink cards….)

Robert, thanks for that update. Sometimes they do only allow the best offers to be available in certain channels, and it can be a bit confusing and/or frustrating for sure.
    JohnnieD, you will only be eligible for a sign-up bonus for a new application and not a downgrade.

6. Robert Hanson says:

I referred my wife for the Freedom card, and was upset when the link they sent her was for the 10K offer. I called Chase and complained, and the CSR said when the card is activated, just ask and the offer will be extended to 20K. I asked her name just in case, and was told I didn’t need to document who I spoke to, since this is standard Chase policy to match best offers within (I think she said 90} days. We’ll see when she gets the card.

7. Robert Hanson says:

@JonnieD If you really want to trade your Sapphire for a Freedom, just apply for the Freedom. If you aren’t instantly approved, call Chase Recon and ask them to move the move your credit line from the Sapphire to the Freedom and close the Sapphire. The # to call, after you submit your Freedom application:
    (888) 245-0625

8. Glenn says:

The categories look good. Gas Stations in two quarters for manufactured spend on two cards = 30,000 miles. Plus Amazon for the Christmas quarter. Only snoozer is Q2.

9. Robert Hanson says:

Update: The Freedom card just came in the mail, and during the activation call she asked for the bonus to be upped to 20K. CSR said no problem, just meet the minimum spend and she will get the 20K.

10. Jayson says:

For Q1 Starbucks spend, does that include Starbucks.com?