Anyone reading this site likely knows that one of the best ways to get a big shot of miles and points in a hurry is via rewards credit card sign-up bonuses.  One of the keys to credit card sign-up bonuses is to try and strike when the iron is hottest and get the biggest sign-up offer you can for the card.  However, unless you live, breathe, and eat miles (and they do taste good), then it can be a little tricky to intuitively know when a sign-up offer is higher than normal.  So, to take out the guess-work here are a few limited time increased credit card offers that I know of.  Some of these have advertized end dates, and some don’t, but all are higher than normal.

Chase Freedom®

Note: This offer is not currently available.  To see other offers, please visit the “Top Credit Cards” page.

This card has no annual fee, and earns points that can be used as cash back at a rate of one point = one cent, or the smarter play (in my view) is to transfer them to hotel or airline partners such as United, Hyatt, British Airways, and more if you also have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold® Business Card, or Ink Plus® Business Card.  The Chase Freedom offers rotating 5x bonus categories each quarter, with gas stations, movie theaters and Starbucks stores coming up as 5x categories in the first quarter of 2014.  Given the lack of an annual fee, and the valuable 5x bonus categories, this is a card that I think should be in every point collector’s wallet.  The normal sign-up bonus has been stuck at $100/10,000 points for at least 18 months, so this temporary increase is twice as good as normal.  An exact end date for this offer isn’t known.

Chase Sapphire Preferred – My offer is for 40,000 bonus Ultimate Reward points after spending $3,000 in the first three months + a bonus 5,000 bonus for adding an authorized user and having them make a purchase in the first three months, but…

Last month the Chase Sapphire Preferred offer improved for the first time in over a year by adding 5,000 additional Ultimate Reward points if you add an authorized user and have that user make a purchase using their card in the first three months.  It was great to see that improvement, but at the same time an even better off became available directly on chase.com for 50,000 points + 5,000 additional points for the authorized user!  Both offers have a $0 introductory fee the first year, but the 50k offer has a $125 annual fee in subsequent years where the 40k offer has a $95 annual fee in subsequent years.  I honestly don’t know how long the 50k offer may be around, but I recommend that you do some googling to find a link to that improved 50k offer if you are interested!

Premier Miles & More World MasterCard®Earn 20,000 miles after first purchase and additional 30,000 miles when you spend $5,000 in first 90 days

Update:  The offer is now 20,000 after first purchase and 15,000 after transfer balance within 30 days.

This is a good card if you want to use the miles to fly Lufthansa, but it is also good if you want to fly other Star Alliance partners like United.  The price for a domestic round trip ticket in the US (other than Hawaii) is 25,000 miles for economy or just 35,000 for business class – which equates to domestic first on United.  This is a pretty great deal since it normally would cost 50,000 United miles for that same ticket.  There is a $79 annual fee (though it is waived for waived for Senator and HON Circle Members).  Be aware that Barclays sometimes will automatically consider you for a lesser product in the event you are not approved for the product you apply for.  In this case, the terms indicate that both the Premier World or Platinum MasterCard versions of this card will get the full sign-up bonus, provided the spending requirement is met.  The terms indicate that this offer ends December 15, 2013, but may be canceled at any time without notice.

Update: Offer details have now changed as of December 16, 2013.  Now you can earn up to 35,000 award miles with qualifying transactions.

• Earn 20,000 award miles after your first purchase
  • 15,000 award miles with balance transfers (1 miles per $1 transferred) within 30 days of account opening
  • Complimentary companion ticket after first purchase, then annually thereafter.
  • Enjoy 2 award miles per $1 on Miles & More integrated airline ticket purchases and 1 award mile per $1 spent everywhere else
  • No foreign transaction fees

British Airways Visa – 50,000 bonus Avios after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening, 25,000 additional bonus Avios after $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening,and a final 25,000 bonus Avios after you make an additional $10,000 in purchases also within the first year of account opening.

I personally got this offer that can result in up to 100,000 bonus Avios last year, and it is a very good offer if you can meet the spending requirement.  I love my Avios to fly on partners American and Alaska Airlines instead of BA due to their heavy fuel surcharges.  This offer is advertized to be available through 12/31/13.  Find more info and the link in this Flyertalk thread.

Alaska Airlines Visa – Up to 50,000 Miles after $1,000 in purchases in first 90 days

This is another limited time offer (end date not known) that awards 25,000 Bonus Miles upon approval and 25,000 Bonus Miles after $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of the account open date.  This is a very good offer for this card, and it is issued by Bank of America, which many of us don’t frequent too often for rewards cards.  This is advertized as by “invitation” and for those who live in Washington State, but it seems that anyone who can access the application can apply.  This is not an affiliate link, so I can’t guarantee anything other than reporting that it seems to be working for others.  Be aware the terms say the offer is not available for those who have applied for the card in the last 12 months, and if you are approved for a lesser version of the card then you will likely not get the full sign-up bonus.

Alaska Airlines Credit Card Offer

Some of these offers are my affiliate links and some aren’t, but all are better than the norm for these cards.  Of course, if you are going to rack up debt and interest charges as a direct result of getting an additional rewards credit card then none of these offers are likely a good idea for you.

Will you be going for any of these offers while they are around?  Let me know if you have another favorite limited time offer that I failed to mention here!

10 Responses to “Several Limited Time Increased Credit Card Offers Available”

1. Tyler says:

Yet another credit card push. You used to be one of my favorite bloggers! I haven’t seen unique content on your blog in so long now :(.

Tyler, credit card sign-up bonuses are still the main way that many families earn miles and points, so to not cover limited time increased offers would be doing those readers a disservice…at least in my view. Also half of these are offers that don’t pay me a dime, they just are good offers I think people should be aware of. That said, sorry to hear the post isn’t useful to you. Let me know what topics you would like to see more of and I’ll do my best to add them to the list.

3. Mark says:

There’s only so many credit cards one should get… I imagine alot of people reading these travel blogs get enticed by reading the offers and then keep signing up for more and more travel credit cards for the bonuses. However having too many cards is usually not a good thing for many different reasons. There’s not written much on the blogs about how people run into problems by getting too much credit and not controlling it well, but it does happen. I’d rather see posts about credit card sign up bonuses only when they are an extraordinary deal. (just my two cents :). I enjoy posts about alternative and creative ways to earn points and miles.

4. Tonei says:

The AS visa is very tempting, but I’ve had that card twice in the past and both times they’ve given me a lower version (which comes with a teeny-tiny signup bonus). You can only get the 50k offer if BofA approves you for a Visa Signature card (5k+ credit limit), and at this point it seems unlikely that they’re going to do that for me – the most credit I’ve ever had with them was a cumulative $1900. Hopefully this offer comes around again at a point where my income is a little higher…

5. smay says:

First of all Tyler (and others who complain) why is it a problem that bloggers receive compensation for their time and effort in gathering and disseminating information? Second of all I like to think of myself as a fairly informed player in this hobby and I had not read about the Alaska 50K offer so this was VERY valuable to me!
    Dear MP, do you know of BOA matching offers bc I just received a card with a 25K offer.

6. Lyssa says:

It should be pretty well known that you shouldn’t get the credit cards if you can’t control them. I pay mine off each month and never carry a balance. If you are carrying balances and paying the interest, it’s not worth it for the miles you are getting.

I think most people know that, but I think some of the bloggers do put like a one sentence general disclaimer on the site or post saying don’t get the cards if you are going to carry a balance.

Mark, I agree that having too much available credit can be a bad thing, but if a person is tempted to spend more because they have more available credit than even getting one additional card is a bad idea. I agree this isn’t for everyone. I think all of these cards offers are pretty good since they are all certainly higher than normal, but that may or may not rise to the level of “extraordinary”. I will continue to post other ways to earn points such as via big shopping portal bonuses, dining bonuses, category bonuses, etc. so hopefully there is a little bit of something for everyone. Thanks for sharing!
    Tonei, agree there is a risk with that one. Fingers crossed it comes back around for you!
    smay, BoA isn’t known for that the way that Chase is, but you could try…it may be even a tad harder since the offer is marketed for Washington residents. Let us know if you have success!
    Lyssa, agree that this is all by far the most rewarding if you pay off your balances each month. That said, I’m always happy to share that warning as often as possible, so have added another sentence to this post in case that is new info for someone stopping by for the first time.

8. Thomas says:

Please remind everyone that the chase sapphire and freedom cards still have a 5k referral offer so it may be stackable! Great for referring parents and other family members!

Thomas, true but the sad catch there is that I have yet to hear about anyone being able to send a referral for the 50k CSP or 20k Freedom offer, so that isn’t the route I would take. You still may be able to get Chase to match the better offer if your friend/family refers for the lesser offer, but I would not personally recommend trying that route since there is never a 100% guarantee.

10. tassojunior says:

Beware that Lufthansa miles MUST be used within 3 years, even with the credit card.