As I posted earlier this week, IHG Rewards is bringing back their Big Win Promotion for the first quarter of 2014.  The promotion will run from January 1, 2014 – April 30, 2014.  IHG Rewards is currently finishing up a very similar Big Win promotion where the number of bonus points you can earn is based on an individualized offer, but everyone had a minimum of 50,000 points on the line (though that doesn’t seem the case this time).

IHG Rewards Big Win

Today I was able to see what my personalized offer will be for the next Big Win promotion, and here are the details.  Remember, this is just my offer.  Yours may be different, and I would love to hear about the details in the comments section!

• Stay a total of 4 nights and earn 8,000 points
  • Stay at 2 different IHG brands and earn 16,000 points
  • Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points
  • Book 2 separate stays through an IHG® hotel website or mobile device to get our Best Price Guarantee and earn 3,200 points
  • Complete a simple survey and earn 100 points
  • Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 8,000 points
  • Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 8,000 points
  • Complete 7 of your offers and earn 45,000 points

IHG Rewards Big Win Offer

I have a total of 90,300 bonus points on the line if I complete all seven steps of my Big Win offer.  It seems that I could complete all of this in four nights, at two different brands, with two of the stays at Holiday Inn hotels, and two of the stays on a Saturday.  Of course, I’d have to make sure to hit all seven of the offers, but the “hardest” point will be hitting four nights.  This is likely one of the “easier” offers.  I didn’t participate in the 2013 Big Win, and don’t think I have had a paid IHG Reward stay in a couple years, so they may be trying to “win back” my business.

Honestly, this seems pretty easy if you have any level of travel that can be done at a IHG Rewards hotel in the first four months of 2014.  If I wanted to just do stays for the sole purpose of this promotion, I bet I could use local Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express hotels at about $70 per night for a total of around $280 for about 90,000 bonus points (on top of all the other points you would normally earn).  That comes to about 1/3 of a cent per point, which cheap even for IHG Rewards points.  To give some context, IHG Reward night redemptions can range from 5,000 points per night (via PointBreaks) – 50,000 points per night.

If my early morning math is correct, I may actually have to pay attention to this promo.  What was your offer and will it change your early 2014 travel patterns?

Big Win Terms:

Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at InterContinental®, Crowne Plaza®, Hotel Indigo®, Holiday Inn®, Holiday Inn Express®, Staybridge Suites®, Candlewood Suites®, Even® or Hualuxe® hotels worldwide. A stay is defined as one night or consecutive nights at the same hotel, regardless of frequency of check-in/out. A stay constitutes a “qualifying stay” when paying qualifying rates, which include most business and leisure rates. Points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (Non-Qualifying Room Rates; Non-Qualifying Stay): net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, IHG® Rewards Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate. Only one room per member per stay will be awarded the applicable bonus points or miles. No retroactive points or miles will be awarded for stays prior to registration. You must be a miles collector with a preferred alliance in order to collect miles. Frequency/ partner credits may be issued in credits other than miles. Click here for a list of all participating airlines. All airline program terms and conditions apply. Please allow up to 4 to 6 weeks for points or miles to be credited after checkout. This offer is subject to standard IHG Rewards Club terms and conditions and earning structure, which can be obtained by visiting www.ihgrewardsclub.com. This exclusive offer is valid and applies to the original recipient only.

56 Responses to “See Your New IHG Rewards Big Win Offer – Mine is 90,300 Points!”

1. Jay says:

31,000 for me–I rarely stay at IHG hotels and am not a very “active” member

2. DaveS says:

Mine is 106,200 points, but I need to stay two Intercontinentals to get the maximum. I don’t think this would be cost effective. I will certainly keep an eye on the promo in case my travels make it logical to pick up some of the other bonuses.

3. Carl says:

Same as Jay, only 30k or so, just not lucrative enough. But your 90k offer is good, that would get you 20 nights of Points Breaks at 4500 points/night if you have their branded credit card.

4. Zhuo says:

Mine is 174K!

5. mulbry says:

31,000!!!
    wow. thanks IHG! no doubt you dont want me to participate! great marketing!

6. Mr. Cool says:

8k for me.. woohoo

7. Alram says:

My offer is the same as yours Mommy Points and that’s with participating in the 2013 program. My 2013 offer was 103,500 and with stackable promo codes I will have earned an additional 90,000 points. Not bad for less than $500 out of pocket (and two stays were actually needed). The 2014 version is way easier for me with no specific cities to stay in. Good luck all!

8. Ted says:

8k for me

9. Girl says:

88000, but they want three different brands and multiple stays. I won’t be going out of my way.

10. Steve says:

31000 points with 3 saturday stays. No thanks!

11. Susan says:

Only 11,500 for me in the 2014 Big Win. I completed the 2013 Big Win offer for 70,000 points.

12. Kate says:

I just registered but it only shows the promotion that expires end of the year. Anyone else having this problem?

13. weever says:

31,000, kidding me, pass

14. Amanda s says:

I got 94k this time around with very doable goals. I will finish the 2013 big win for 80k. I didn’t think I’d get the 2013 goal but came within just one night, so I reserved a room at the hotel just down the street from my office last week.

15. Michael says:

84,100
    – 8,400 – total of 5 nights
    – 8,000 – stay 2 Saturday nights
    – 8,000 – Stay at 2 Holiday Inn hotels [note: not entirely clear if this is 2 nights at a Holiday Inn or 2 nights at 2 different Holiday Inn’s – T&C not clear)
    – 100 – Survey
    – 42,000 – complete all 5 offers.

16. Robert Hanson says:

Like Kate, I only see the 2013 offer, not the upcoming one.

17. Jonathan says:

150k!!
    4 nights will do it.

18. steve says:

166,300 total possible pts.

19. Matt says:

31k. Pointless. Granted I signed up just in case, but I’m thinking to myself that not only will this not win them any business, it may not even be enough to win them direct bookings at their own properties over better promos from Orbitz, etc…

It would kind of be nice if they let you pick or customize your offer because while these targeted promos are nice in theory, it doesn’t seem like IHG understands me as a customer *at all*.

20. steve says:

Does “Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels” mean it has to be at HI? Or does HI Express or HI & Suites count?

21. Cal P says:

Same as Mommy Points except 10 nights and only 82,300. All except 2 Saturday stays will be normal business use.

I called for clarication on 2 HI nights, the rep said they didn’t know details yet. They would call back to 48 to 72 hours. I hope HIE is OK.

22. Nick says:

@steve: That would be Holiday Inn, just like it says. Not HI Express.

My offer is:

Stay a total of 8 nights and earn 9,600 points. I’m not sure if I will complete this one.

Stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 11,200 points. Easy, I will probably do this one.

Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points. Easy, I will do this one.

Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 8,000 points. Possible.

Book and pay for 1 stay with your IHG® Rewards Club credit card and receive 1,500 points. Easy, I will do this one.

Stay at 4 Holiday Inn hotels and earn 6,400 points. Not sure on this one.

Stay at 3 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 5,600 points. Not sure on this one.

Complete 7 of your offers and earn 44,000 points. Don’t think it is going to happen. But I should score maybe between 14700 – 22700. I think this is just an “OK” promo, similar to the one going on now.

23. Jonathan says:

There is a conflict between the press release and terms and conditions on the Big Win Website. Press release/terms in this Blog says nights stayed between Jan. 1 and April 30 qualify for promotion. Terms and conditions on Big Win website say nights must be BOOKED between those days. Which is it?

24. Frank says:

only 10,000 – a bit of an insult.

25. Nick B. says:

Mine is for 135k total, that can be done in 5 nights, 2 at a Holiday Inn, 2 at a HIX, for around a total cash value of $325 in spend. Not too bad a value, especially when combined with some of the other bonuses

26. Carl P says:

@nick – What is the source for your HI info to Steve? You say “just like it says”, but somebody could say it’s HIE just like the T&C say.

27. J.J. says:

My total: 94,300 derived from:

Stay a total of 6 nights and earn 8,800 points
    Stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 17,600 points
    Complete a simple survey and earn 100 points
    Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 8,000 points
    Book 2 separate stays through our IHG app and earn 8,000 points.
    Stay at 2 Holiday Inn hotels and earn 4,800 points
    Complete 6 of your offers and earn 47,000 points

It just seems like some of these numbers are random. 8,000 for two bookings on the app? Sure. Not totally out of reach, but will depend where travel takes me. This will at least make me consider HI brands a bit more for stays I was going to make anyway and perhaps split up an upcoming 4-day trip over two or 3 hotels.

28. Claire says:

I got 31,000, new member with no stays yet. Husband got 110,000, he has 5 Points Break nights in 2 years, no paid stays. Yay Points Break!

29. Different Claire says:

Mine looks totally do-able. 148k: stay total of 4 nights, 2 different brands, 2 HI, 2 HIE, and the usual givens (complete survey, book through app, use their credit card). If I’m correct to assume this promo stacks with all the other available IHG promos, I can’t imagine NOT doing this even if I must go out of my way (and by that I mean book an unplanned mini-getaway). Someone stop me if I’m missing something!

30. Brett says:

I only got 50K total

I’ll work on getting questions clarified about the terms on Monday. Very interesting reading about all the different versions of the offer!

32. Alan says:

Mine is for 95,700 but it will be totally impossible for me to get anywhere near it. It starts with requiring 11 nights in the hotels. For my current Big Win, which is 78,500, I only had to stay 7 nights. And I am happy to report that I am getting ALL 78,500 points.

33. Kathy says:

I was offered 112K and my husband was offer 99,100. Now we just need to plan some hotel stays. I have so many points to use right now, I just need somewhere to go :)

34. Jonathan says:

In your “stay smart” one, does it say stay at 2 Holiday Inn but the terms and conditions say Holiday Inn Express? That is what is showing for me.

35. Carl P. says:

@Jonathan – Yes. It’s probably really for Holiday Inn (NOT Express), but IHG will need to clarify.

36. BOShappyflyer says:

I had a really bad offer during the last promo, but they sweetened the pot for me on this one.

I got what the “other claire” got above for 110k: stay total of 4 nights, 2 different brands, 2 HI, 2 HIE, and the usual givens, Saturday night stay. It seems doable, so I have to give it some thought (since I don’t have any plans for early early year when I already have a big trip planned later in the year). I may not go out on my way to do it though.

37. Carl P says:

@BOS – 4 nights for $660 (if you play it right) is not bad, as I think $6 per 1K points is a fair valuation. If it’s all on your dime and you don’t want to go anywhere so be it. You can’t expect much more than that from any program

I get 82K for 10 nights and other stuff, and will do it.

38. Kevin says:

Mine is 127,500. 5 nights total, 2 of them being Saturday. Need to of them to be at Holiday Inn, and at least 2 of the other 3 to be at other brands.

39. Nick says:

Massive flaws and confusion with the new promo…please allow me to explain…
    Really strange with the “Stay Smart” terms. I would imagine that the terms are incorrect, as they show a Holiday Inn (and not an HIE) in the picture. Terms state,
    “Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn Express® hotels hotels [there is even a typo here, repeating the word HOTELS 2X] worldwide. A stay is defined as…”
    Also on the “Change your View” section of the promo it is showing an HIE in the picture, however on the terms it specifically is stating “Holiday Inn” and not HIE,
    “Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn® hotels hotels [again the typo, repeating the word HOTELS 2X] worldwide. A stay is defined as…”
    So to sum it all up, either the pics were placed incorrectly for the two sections entitled, “Stay Smart” and “Change your View” or the terms were. But IHG has screwed it up even further than that. I open up the section that says “Stay Smart” and the headline reads “Change your View”. Then I open up the section on “Change your View” and the headline reads, “Stay Smart.” And to reiterate what I said before, the terms seem switched. I’M SURPRISED THEY DID NOT PROOF THIS BETTER BEFORE THEY RELEASED IT TO THE PUBLIC!!!
    @ Carl – I’m not sure anymore, based on the above confusion. But normally HI would not include HIE. It would be one or the other. Maybe they will allow both, due to the confusion and the mistakes with the release.
    I’m wondering is it like this for everyone or just for me?

40. Nathan says:

I’m actually put off by my “offer”. 31k points for 3 saturday night stays, one 3 consecutive night stay, and a stay at three different brands. Guess they don’t want my business…

41. Carl P says:

@Nick – I agree it’s not clear and they probably meant Holiday Inn (and not Express). You seemed so sure orginally and I was wondering why, I’ll bet they’ll correct it Mondayto be just Holiday Inn and say “no harm – no foul” since it doesn’t start for a few weeks.

3 Saturdays, 2 night consecutive stays, or InterContenintals is too much to ask unless thats close to your past patterns.

42. Bill says:

31,000?!! for me. This promo is useless!

43. Vicky says:

My husband got the same offer as Nathan, 31k. Mine was marginally better at 39k. Needless to say IHG will get zero stays for both of us during this promotion. Not worth the effort for such low amounts.

44. Jenny says:

79,600 for me:

5 nights for 8,400
    3 brands for 17,600
    2 Sats for 4,800
    2 Hol Inn for 4,800
    1 Best Rate with Breakfast for 2,000
    2 stays booked through site for 1,900
    1 survey for 100
    Complete all 7 for 40,000

45. Shannon says:

I only see 2013 too (50k for)

46. HeavenlyJane says:

My challenges add up to a measly 10,000 pts. I am underwhelmed.

47. J.J. says:

If we get more then 60,000 from the promo, will that give platinum status?

48. KennyB says:

31K for me, 100K for the Misses. I was not previously signed up for their promo emails… bummer if that is a factor. Anyways we can get her 100K plus the points for the stays for $267. Works for me!

49. Keith C says:

I got a pretty easy 96k offer:
    - Stay more and earn: Stay a total of 4 nights and earn 8,000 points
    - Explore our brands: Stay at 2 different IHG brands and earn 16,000 points
    - Win in a weekend: Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 8,000 points
    - IHG mobile app booking: Book 2 separate stays through our IHG® app and earn 8,000 points.
    - Change your view: Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 8,000 points
    - Win big: Complete 5 of your offers and earn 48,000 points

50. Keith C says:

Woah! Just checked my wife’s account, and hers is even better — 150k total (for basically the same effort as mine above):

- Stay more and earn: Stay a total of 4 nights and earn 12,000 points
    - Explore our brands: Stay at 2 different IHG brands and earn 24,000 points
    - Start the day off right: Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 3,000 points.
    - Win in a weekend: Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 12,000 points
    - Change your view: Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 12,000 points
    - Stay smart: Stay at 2 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 12,000 points.
    - Win big: Complete 6 of your offers and earn 75,000 points

It seems too easy to finish this with just a total of 4 night (2 at HI and 2 at HIE, one of those with breakfast, two of them on Saturdays)!

51. G says:

85K, but 5 nights at 3 different brands; 2 nights at Holiday Inns; 1 night has to have breakfast. I was prepared for 4 nights, but 5 nights might push it out of my reach. However, it would be nice to have enough points for SEVENTEEN points breakers, just in case…maybe I’ll keep an eye out.

52. Wings says:

Out of 4 family accounts mine was the highest with 100K.
    if I was to book stay for my wife and add her as additional check-in person, will it fly with Holiday Inn or not? What do you guys think?

53. Lyssa says:

My total is 34,000 and I would need a total of four nights. I would have to stay at three different IHG brands and twice at Holiday Inn, so couldn’t be done in less than four. Three of the nights would have to be a Saturday and two of them would have to be booked through the IHG site or mobile app.

54. Lyssa says:

My husband got 91,600. I guess we need some stays under his account . . .

His is a total of 5 nights, across 3 brands, with 2 HI stays and two Saturdays. One need to be the best flex rate w/ breakfast.

55. Linda says: