I have spent much of the last week firming up travel plans for the next year in part because I like having things planned out well in advance, and in part because some of my miles and points are about to be worth less thanks to some impending devaluations.  I don’t like seeing how much my point balances have dropped due to my recent booking frenzy, but I do like knowing that I am milking the points for all they are worth before it will take more of them to get where I want to be.  The next devaluation to kick in is Hyatt Gold Passport as their award chart changes are effective tomorrow, January 7th.

Andaz Maui will go from 22k to 25k points

Andaz Maui will go from 22k to 25k points

I covered all the details about the devaluation first here with the important bad news, then here with some of the positive changes they are making.  I’ll recap the stuff you need to act on ASAP here, but read the linked posts for full details.

• There are no changes for standard reward night redemptions for Categories 1 – 4.

• Category 5 awards are increasing from 18,000 to 20,000 points per night.

• Category 6 awards are increasing from 22,000 to 25,000 points per night.

• Category 7 is being introduced and will include Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome, Park Hyatt Milan, Park Hyatt Zurich, and Park Hyatt Sydney for 30,000 points per night.
  • Suite and Club awards are getting more expensive in all categories except Category 1.
  • Upgrades to a club room increase from 3,000 points for a four night stay to 3,000 points per night.

• Upgrades to a suite increase from 6,000 points for a four night stay to 6,000 points per night.

• There are a total of 38 hotels changing category, of which 21 are going to a higher category, and 17 are going to a lower category.  If you are looking to use the annual free co-branded credit card night that is good for a Cat 1-4 hotel, be aware that Andaz West Hollywood, Hyatt Chicago Mag Mile, Hyatt Place New York Midtown, and Park Hyatt Melbourne are all moving from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 so you won’t be able to use them to book rooms at those hotels past tomorrow.

Current Hyat Award Chart Mommy Points

New Hyatt Award Chart Mommy Points

20140105-180238.jpg

Hyatt Lost Pines goes from 18k to 20k

Make Bookings Now!

I highly recommend you do what I have been doing and make Hyatt award and suite bookings now.  Check the cancellation rules for each property, but you can usually cancel with no penalty until pretty close to the reservation date, so lock something in now even if you aren’t 100% on your plans.  Their calendar goes out one year, so you can make bookings through the beginning of 2015.  Just recently I have made reservations made for Park Hyatt Paris-Vendome that is going from 22k to 30k points, Grand Hyatt Kauai that is going from 22k to 25k points, Park Hyatt Beaver Creek that is going from 22k to 30k points, and am toying around with several others.  I will err on the side of booking by today, and back out of the ones I don’t need a little later down the line.  I am saving myself tens of thousands of Hyatt points by acting now instead of in a couple of months.

20140105-180211.jpg

Grand Hyatt Kauai goes from 22k to 25k

Transfer Points In:

If you are running short on Hyatt Gold Passport points remember you can transfer them in from the Chase Ultimate Rewards program and cards like the Ink Bold, Ink Plus, and Sapphire Preferred at a 1:1 ratio.  Transfers should happen almost immediately, but don’t wait until later in the day in case there is a slight delay for some reason.

20140105-180432.jpg

Andaz Liverpool goes from 18k to 25k

Adjust Reservations at Old Rates Until February 15th:

Hyatt will allow adjustments to existing award reservations at the old award chart rates through February 15th.  I have gotten confirmation from Hyatt that permissible modification include extending or shortening a stay, but I can’t say 100% if it means you can move the dates of your trip completely, though I am hopeful you can.  I know some are making reservations they are unsure of as a series of one night stays in case they end up needing just a portion of the stay.

Any modifications to Hyatt Credit Card Anniversary Award Night reservations that cause an award reissue cannot be redeemed for hotels that moved from a Category 1-4 to Category 5 or 6 as of January 7, 2014.

I’ll post more about the enhancements that also kick in tomorrow after I get some hands-on experience with them…especially the cash and points reservations.  Until then, book and book quickly!  What properties have you been locking in?

14 Responses to “Use Hyatt Points Today Before They’re Worth Less Tomorrow!”

1. Kadence says:

Just this morning I booked the Vendome for end of July… even pre-devaluation it’s painful to have to book 2 rooms (2 adults/2 kids). But husband and I just got our 2 free nights from the Hyatt cards so that helps.

2. The big question is whether I should book Andaz Maui with cash and points (pending availability). I don’t know if the taxes and fees will negate any benefits. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Kadence, indeed, but less painful today than tomorrow. Have a great trip!
    Heather, I say book on points today and then see how c+p availability is tomorrow.

4. Francisco C says:

MP, do you have any experience with the Hyatt Residence Clubs? Do the ski resort clubs offer any availability on points during ski season? Is this specific award chart changing? thanks

5. Ric Garrido says:

Sounds like you are dismissing the value of Hyatt Cash & Points awards that will be available after today.

I am saving my Hyatt points for Cash & Points bookings.

With most hotel loyalty programs the cash & points option generally offers the highest redemption value.

6. kelly says:

I am holding rooms at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai….but waiting till tomorrow to book Hyatt Maui since the hotel category is actually going down…..

7. Joe S says:

Is there any way to book Hyatt properties more than a year out? Would like to book something for the end of Jan 2015.

Francisco, I have a post on that topic here. Short story is I haven’t heard that award chart is changing, but availability at ski properties during ski season is not good.
    Ric, not at all. I love cash and points and use them frequently with SPG. However, we so far have no knowledge on how good availability will be with Hyatt, the value of C&P on the new chart compared to award bookings on the old chart for the categories that are changing isn’t that great (unless you are using suite upgrades, which I hope to do), and you can always cancel your old award bookings and rebook at the new cash and points rates, but the reverse isn’t true. In other words, I am hedging by bets here, and for properties like Beaver Creek, Zurich, etc. it is a no-brainer to book today. I hope I love Hyatt cash and points though and have some bookings I plan to make tomorrow via that route with suite upgrade certs.
    Kelly, indeed, though in theory they will automatically refund the points. Enjoy Hawaii!
    Joe, sadly no, though you can book now and potentially do a date change before 2/15 on the old chart, though I haven’t specifically seen date changes spelled out. Could be worth a shot though.

9. Santastico says:

How do you get to Kauai? Would love to take family to try the Hyatt there but $2k+ or 90k Skypesos per ticket for a family of 4 is a no go for me.

10. Valerie says:

MP, you said “permissible modification include extending or shortening a stay”. Does this mean if I only have points to book 3 nights at the sydney park Hyatt now, I can change it to 5 nights once I get enough points by feb 15th? If this is the case, then people can book one night stays in a bunch of places and see if c&p is available and a better deal. I had to cancel my Zurich park Hyatt suite to get Moscow and Sydney. FYI, Zurich standard redemption only allows 2 pp and with a child, you have to do a suite redemption with 3 nights min, which is not worth the time.

11. Valerie says:

Btw, can I use someone else’s suite upgrade on an award reservation booked with my points or c&p?

Santastico, lots of ways, but best way depends on where you are starting form. Here is a post to give you some ideas.

Valerie, yes to extending a stay and you are exactly on to my strategy. To answer your second question, technically no.

13. Santastico says:

Tks for the link to your Hawaii post. I fly out of MSP so Delta makes sure they charge an arm and a leg to fly anywhere. Looking for March/April tickets are around $2k or 90k miles in coach. :(