Since I know lots of us drained our Chase Ultimate Reward accounts making Hyatt and United reservations before their respective award chart changes (United is coming up on February 1st), I wanted to offer a small reminder about some good news that should be on the horizon for Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Chase Freedom cardholders.

7% Annual Points Bonus on Chase Sapphire Preferred Card:

As you may already know, the Chase Sapphire Preferred card gives a 7% bonus on all Ultimate Reward points earned in a calendar year.  This is regardless of whether or not you already redeemed those points, and is on top of the 2x you earn on travel and dining charges, bonus points earned via the Ultimate Rewards online shopping portal, and 1x you earn on most all other charges.  For example, this is why you sometimes see people refer to the card earning 2.14 points on dining as that number includes the 2x + the 7% annual points dividend.  You should expect a 7% bonus on all points earned on the Sapphire Preferred card other than the sign-up bonus (that did count until roughly a year ago) and points transferred into the account from other Ultimate Rewards earning cards.

In simple math, if you earned 50,000 points on your Chase Sapphire Preferred in 2013, that means you should expect a 3,500 point bonus some time next month.  Obviously if you earned more points in 2013, then you will be getting even more bonus points.  Once these points post, you will be able to transfer them 1:1 to Ultimate Reward partners United, Hyatt, British Airways, IHG Rewards, Marriott, and more.  Every little bit helps when you are building an account balance back up!

10% Annual Points Bonus on Chase Freedom With Chase Checking Account:

I think the 7% points dividend is a really good feature of the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, but do keep in mind that for some people the Chase Freedom can be even better in this regard as it gives a 10% bonus on points earned in a calendar year if you also have a Chase checking account.  This means that you will be earning an extra 10% on all the points earned on that card (including the rotating quarterly 5x bonuses).  I actually do all of my Ultimate Reward portal shopping through the Freedom card to earn the 10% point bonus each year instead of the 7% bonus earned on the Sapphire Preferred since I also have a Chase checking account.

Whether you are awaiting one or both of these annual bonuses, keep an eye on your February statements as that is when the Sapphire Preferred bonuses started to appear last year!

Disclosure: I do receive a commission if you are approved for a credit card using one of my affiliate links.  As always, thanks for your support.

11 Responses to “Chase Sapphire Preferred + Chase Freedom Annual Point Bonuses Coming Soon”

1. Andrew says:

So, in theory, you can have a chase Checking account with only $25 in it or the minimum and not use the account at all and still get the 10% bonus?

2. Jin says:

For the Chase freedom 10%, is that 10% based on the period from after the rewards program changed? Everyone had different program conversion dates. Do you know if that 10% will be based on that calendar year or from when your program changed to end of 2013?

Andrew, I put the minimum in that will avoid a monthly fee, which here is $1,500. I just let it sit there. That may not be practical for everyone.
    Jin, I would guess it would be based on whatever date you got switched from the old program, though time will tell.

4. jhona says:

I have Chase checking acct. but how can I connect it with my credit card so I can get the extra 10%?

5. JakePB says:

Great reminder about the checking benefit with the Freedom card!

6. Bill says:

Not doing any more transfers to United!

7. Bgiagg says:

My 10% bonus from freedom is posted every month/transaction, unlike the 7% from sapphire that is posted as an annual bonus at the end of the year.

8. Bgiagg says:

Also, at least in my case, the 10% is based on dollars spent, I.e. I am not getting the 10% from category bonus, shopping mall bonus etc., while the 7% of sapphire counts all points earned. So buying with sapphire card at UR mall is much better choice. Do you get it for all points earned annually?

9. Maxwell says:

If I transfer points from my Chase Ink card to my Chase Sapphire – Will I receive a bonus on the combined balance?

10. BMATT says:

Excellent reminder on the Chase Freedom with 10% for checking account. We have Freedom card and I am going to go open a military checking account (no fee and no minimum balance) to bonus!

Thanks!!

11. Amy Leigh says:

Do you earn the 10% on all points that you accrued during the year, even if you redeemed them for a statement credit?