Good evening from Singapore! I’m presently in transit on QF009 from Melbourne to London, and am in Singapore for about 60 minutes. I was hoping to post pictures of the phenomenal tasting menu I had aboard, but that will have to wait, since the internet here is far too slow.

I’ll share one quick lesson, though. The flight from Melbourne to Singapore took 7hr30min, and I was offered pajamas shortly after takeoff, which I changed into immediately, despite it being a day flight. As we approached Singapore the seatbelt sign wasn’t turned on until seven minutes before landing, and for whatever reason I made the decision not to change out of my pajamas. They were so comfortable and it was late at night, so I figured I’d stay in my pajamas, go to the first class lounge, take a quick shower, get back on the plane, and sleep.

What the hell was I thinking? You know those high school girls that fly with shorts that read “PINK” on their rear, wear bunny slippers, carry massive pillows, and pack about 10 pounds worth of snacks and 18 gossip magazines for a 52 minute flight? Well, I felt like one of them as I walked through the terminal in my Qantas pajamas.

The funny thing is, the reaction was actually the worst in the lounge. I got looks of pure horror from just about every person in the lounge.

There’s a simple lesson here — don’t friggin’ wear your pajamas in an airport, let alone in the lounge. No clue what I was thinking, but I certainly learned the hard way…

1. May 24th, 2011 at 8:34 am

Ralph said,

MEL to LHR in 7:30H? That is quick! ;)

2. May 24th, 2011 at 8:39 am

Nancy said,

ROFL!!! Live & learn!!

3. May 24th, 2011 at 8:48 am

hobo13 said,

For a minute, I thought you were gonna say it said Qantas across your rear…

4. May 24th, 2011 at 8:57 am

Despina said,

Can you please post a photo of the jammies as I need a visual to determine whether they are as “loud” as those shorts you mentioned. :)

5. May 24th, 2011 at 8:58 am

Patrick said,

Good travel advice!

6. May 24th, 2011 at 9:04 am

Simon said,

Brilliant – and good for you Ben for fessing up!!

7. May 24th, 2011 at 9:10 am

Uniter said,

Wow. Just wow.

8. May 24th, 2011 at 9:18 am

Katie said,

It is nice to hear even a veteran traveler like you has moments like these! It made me laugh.

9. May 24th, 2011 at 9:23 am

Chris said,

jpegs, or it didn’t happen

10. May 24th, 2011 at 9:27 am

qbrain said,

I thought you learned this last time you wore the CX F PJs through HKG?

11. May 24th, 2011 at 10:08 am

Sophie said,

Funny! Everybody loves surprises=)

12. May 24th, 2011 at 10:41 am

A. S. said,

When I first read the title of this post, I thought you were saying that anyone who doesn’t like you is a douche. :)

13. May 24th, 2011 at 10:44 am

TravelerMSY said,

It’s like wearing costumes down here in New Orleans. No holiday is required to wear them, as long as you exude confidence and act like you wear your pajamas to the airport every day!

14. May 24th, 2011 at 10:50 am

AS said,

Too funny! Although I feel this post would be much more entertaining with a photograph.

15. May 24th, 2011 at 10:53 am

Bill said,

Photo please

16. May 24th, 2011 at 11:09 am

Renata said,

hahah, that must’ve been such a priceless moment but you should’ve been like “whatever. haters gonna hate”

17. May 24th, 2011 at 11:11 am

rich (arizona) said,

Your brain is probably fried from all of the flying and can’t think clearly :)

I’m still shocked at how many people walk barefoot or just in socks into the bathrooms on airplanes.

18. May 24th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Adam said,

My brother did something similar. We were all flying home after a big trip via FRA and for some reason there was some scare recently that had made int’l travel much more of a hassle. So when we landed and got off the plane and through immigration more or less first, he was quickly pulled aside to do a TV interview for the local news crew… in his LH pjs.

19. May 24th, 2011 at 11:37 am

ric garrido said,

You made me smile with this amusing anecdote.

20. May 24th, 2011 at 11:44 am

GoAmtrak said,

Thanks for the hilarious mental image! Maybe there should be a Halloween FT DO in which we all dress as teenage kettles. Can you imagine all of us swarming priority lines and premium cabins in pop star t-shirts and Joe Boxer PJs?! =D

21. May 24th, 2011 at 12:16 pm

gobluetwo said,

@hobo13 and A.S. – lol :)

@GoAmtrak – maybe an international F PJ do would be more fun. Of course, anyone willing to hand over a set of F PJ’s?

22. May 24th, 2011 at 12:37 pm

caelus said,

Can we call you “pyjama boy” from now on?

23. May 24th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Glenn said,

were they as fashionable as the good ol’ purple TG jammies?

24. May 24th, 2011 at 2:39 pm

PanAm said,

Hope they weren’t as bad as the pink bunny PJs from “A Christmas Story”

25. May 24th, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Antonio said,

I think I speak for all of us when I say we expect a jammie photo in the full trip report.

26. May 24th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Carlos said,

Pics or it never happened Ben.

27. May 24th, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Mommy Points said,

I agree that a picture is in order, but that is freaking hysterical!!

28. May 24th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Nybanker said,

I connected from QF to AA at lhr a few years back. Was in first on both flights and kept the QF pj’s from the first flight. While I changed back to my street clothes for the connection, I put the pj’s back on during the AA flight. AA of course doesn’t provide this amenity, so I certainly stood out…and got a few looks. Despite that, I was very comfortable for the AA flight and enjoyed putting relatively fresh clothes on shortly before landing at JFK….before heading in to work after 20 hours of flying!

Felt a bit odd? Yes. Do it again – definitely!

29. May 24th, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Pegasus said,

Best post of the year, Ben. :)

30. May 24th, 2011 at 9:00 pm

James said,

@GoAmtrak, that sounds awesome…especially if it is in front of a bunch of low-tier elites.

31. May 24th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Shari said,

#1 -You OWE your fans a photo of you in your pj’s!!

#2 – I have never understood people that travel with a full size pillow. Don’t they realize all the germs that thing collects as it travels around?

#3 – I think the more often seen phrase on the rear of said teen travelers is “juicy”. How nice.

32. May 25th, 2011 at 12:56 am

Meg said,

Thanks for such a funny anecdote! I suppose if you had found a group of high school girls to walk with at the airport, you would have fit right in :)

33. May 25th, 2011 at 12:58 am

Meg said,

Note to Shari above: Juicy is a brand of clothing (Juicy Couture) – not sure if you were joking or not!

34. May 25th, 2011 at 1:15 am

JRL said,

Wear whatever the fuck you want.
    JewJetting 101.

JRL

35. May 25th, 2011 at 3:02 am

Andy Bluebear said,

Eh, First Class has become so dressed down anyway these days…I mean, you see people in shorts and flip-flops flying FC and in lounges now, why not pajamas?

36. May 25th, 2011 at 5:41 am

JP said,

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

37. May 26th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

ffi said,

I have used the top with collar given in LH F several times since then on other airlines in my long distance trips without even an eye brow being raised. They are VERY comfortable for long trips

38. June 7th, 2011 at 8:48 am

Cindy60 said,

Call me old-fashioned (thank you), but watching a doughy, middle-aged, male body slapping into a first-class seat all the way from the waiting lounge in flip-flops and pajama bottoms (which screamed “juicy” without actually saying it) was the LAST thing my husband and I wanted to see on our AA flight from NYC to LA last week.

39. January 28th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Ozaer N. said,

I just heard not too long ago a city here in the USA that was trying to ban the wearing of pajamas outside in public hehehe…

40. January 28th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

zbender said,

@ffi – I have to agree that the LH F long-sleeved top is pretty good, but the OZ F button-up with all the gold trim is the bling-bling-iest way I have had envious stares from others. :-)

41. August 7th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Anonymous said,

[...] in the pajamas, which means either I was very late or they wore them from a previous flight, Lucky-style. I sat down and soon a lovely FA named Julia offered a pre-departure beverage. I ordered scotch [...]

42. November 17th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Is wearing pajamas on airplanes weird? - One Mile at a Time - One Mile at a Time said,

[…] never given any thought to. I’ve never felt self conscious about wearing pajamas (well, except that one time), and perhaps that’s because I spend so much time in the air. I have no qualms putting on […]

43. November 17th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Roberto said,

There should be a nickname for those girls with the oversized pillows, Pink across the butt shorts and massive amounts of snacks and reads… Whatever name it comes to, gotta love watching them!

44. February 6th, 2014 at 11:27 am

Gemmy said,

I realise this is waaay old but I just had to say that your description of the high school girls made your point better than anything else. Sheer brilliance and lesson well learned.