Last week I posted that American Express Small Business Saturday would be returning this year. This is a program American Express launched last year whereby you can get a $25 statement credit for registering your American Express card and making at least a $25 purchase with it on the day after Black Friday. This year that day is Saturday, November 26.

To get the $25 statement credit you need to register your card here. Then simply make a minimum of a $25 purchase at a small business on the 26th, which American Express defines as follows:

Eligible small business merchants are independently owned small businesses located in the United States that accept the American Express Card. Purchases made at large or national chain stores, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible. Prepaid, Corporate Cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.

Each card can be registered once, so if you have multiple American Express cards they should all be eligible. To be on the safe side it can’t hurt to use different email addresses for each card, though.

This year registration is limited, so you’re going to want to sign up sooner rather than later.

I only have one issue with this promotion — I can’t think of a single small business in my area. The one restaurant I took advantage of this promotion at last year went out of business, so I think I’m pretty much hosed.

1. November 2nd, 2011 at 3:29 am

Ted said,

you can check using zip here: https://www.facebook.com/SmallBusinessSaturday

2. November 2nd, 2011 at 5:12 am

Acker said,

For once, living on Nantucket will benefit me. Although there are no hotel chains or major airlines (except for 2 mos in the summer) there are tons and tons of small businesses. Yesterday I ordered a bunch of additional cards just to take advantage of this promo.

Acker

3. November 2nd, 2011 at 5:23 am

Matthew said,

> The one restaurant I took advantage of this promotion at last year went out of business, so I think I’m pretty much hosed.

LOL!

4. November 2nd, 2011 at 5:56 am

J-dawg said,

I used my $25 small business credit at the liquor store last year … My father enjoyed the gift of wine for the holidays!

5. November 2nd, 2011 at 6:17 am

X said,

The facebook page is a mess. Can someone please guide me to the page where I can look up small businesses using zipcodes.

6. November 2nd, 2011 at 6:24 am

@ X — You’re absolutely right, the page is a huge mess. When you get to their Facebook page click on “Get Involved” in the left column, and then on the bottom half of the page it will let you enter your zip code to see some small businesses in your area.

7. November 2nd, 2011 at 6:54 am

beltway said,

The T&C are a little unclear on whether secondary cardholders can earn the bonus separate from the primary cardholder. Anyone have experience with this last year?

8. November 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 am

Ciaran said,

Where do you live – in a mall?

9. November 2nd, 2011 at 10:46 am

Rob S said,

@beltway – last year if you registered the secondary cardholder on the Amex SBS website and used the card – it also received a $25 statement credit. No idea if they fixed it to not allow that this year or not, but the T&C does state that it is only one $25 statement credit PER REGISTERED CARD and not per account – so my guess is it still should work again this year.

10. November 2nd, 2011 at 11:17 am

@ Jack — I agreed with @ Rob’s interpretation. I suspect each unique card number is eligible for this promotion, so if you have a secondary card it should be eligible for the promotion as well. At the very least American Express’ customer service is quite good (aside from the whole “bump the bonus” situation), so if you take a screenshot of the terms they should issue you the credit either way.

@ Ciaran — No, I live in America, land of Wal-Mart and the Olive Garden. Seriously, I don’t think there’s one small business within 10 miles of my house.

11. November 2nd, 2011 at 11:37 am

Katie said,

I am very excited about this promo! There is a small grocery store with a lot of organic, gluten-free, etc items (and homemade too) that I really like that I get to use this promo on.

12. November 2nd, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Ozaer N. said,

this is indeed a great deal and added the promo info to my blog…but I hope they extend it as I will be out of the country on that day. They did extend it last year, but it wasnt until like the day of…

13. November 2nd, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Brian said,

There are a lot of small businesses that do business by mail order. Order something online!

14. November 3rd, 2011 at 9:08 am

Paul said,

Does a small business need to register with AmExp in order for me to get the $25 statement credit?

15. November 3rd, 2011 at 9:51 am

Paul said,

Or do all small businesses that accept the AmExp card automatically qualify?

16. November 3rd, 2011 at 10:52 am

@ Paul — No, they just need to accept American Express and be categorized as a small business. ALL small business that accept America Express qualify.

17. November 26th, 2011 at 9:14 am

Rick Grossman said,

Last year, they started with a limit of 3,000. Businesses DID have to apply. We told our customers that. They kept allowing more and more customers. We looked foolish.

This year, we looked where we had to apply and couldn’t find it. We found no “rules” about who could apply–it was pretty specific last year. This year, they didn’t say anything about limits, and low and behold, on SBS, they say no more cards! We now look like scrooges.

On the find a business page (if you can find this in all the spagetti-organized pages), one can only view the first page in your zip code (typically those that start with AAA.

Oh, the help desk for businesses for SBS. They only work from M-F.

Stores get to face screaming customers asking where their $25 is. They take the day off, don’t have to pay their free offer, and laugh SCREWING the small business. Maybe that was their plan!