On Friday I wrote about British Midland’s announcement that they’d be leaving the Star Alliance around April 20. This is sad news because British Midland really did have a very good frequent flyer program, both in terms of earning and redemption opportunities. If you have a stash of British Midland miles, chances are you’re trying to burn them before they’re devalued and turned into British Airways Avios points.

That being said, if you’ve never been a Diamond Club member, they are offering a 1,000 mile bonus for joining.

I assume sometime in the next few months British Midland Diamond Club miles will be converted into British Airways Avios points, so you might as well sign-up for a Diamond Club account now. Now, that’s an assumption, but since British Midland is leaving the Star Alliance, I don’t know what else they could possibly do with the program.

Keep in mind that British Airways allows household accounts, so you can pool the miles from up to seven accounts as long as they’re registered at the same address. So that’s potentially 7,000 free miles to add to your British Airways household account at some date in the future. Keep in mind you only need 4,500 miles for a one-way ticket of under 650 miles, so you could conceivably sign-up five people in your household, and then when the accounts are merged that will be more than enough miles for a one-way ticket.

1. April 9th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Nicole Simon said,

Thanks, I am not likely to be flying this year and this would help keeping my BA miles alive. :)

2. April 9th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

AK said,

Thanks Lucky. I signed up a couple family members and the 1000 miles posts immediately upon enrollment.

3. April 9th, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Gary said,

And of course BA allows family accounts, as does bmi, so you can sign up lots of people and pool the miles

4. April 9th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Laurent said,

Hi, Can I potentially register 7 names under the same address although we do not have 7 family members living under the same address? I am sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

5. April 9th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Corridor! said,

The link is no longer working as of 2/28, but there was a survey you could take that would earn an additional 1000 miles. This way you could earn 2000 miles per family member.

6. April 9th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

@ Laurent — You’re only supposed to register real people, but in practice they have no way of tracking that, so you should have no issues doing that. Of course ethically it’s a different story…

7. April 9th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Seymour said,

@ Corridor! – I was just able to sign up for an account using the link in the blog post. Do you have a link for the survey? I couldn’t find it anywhere on the BMI website.

8. April 9th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

@ Seymour — I don’t believe it’s active anymore, but this was the survey:

9. April 9th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Everett said,

@Gary How were you able to transfer the BMI points from family member to family member? When I create a family account and try to transfer, it tells me that the 1,000k points are “enrollment bonus miles”, and therefore non-transferable. Will I just have to wait till all 8 accounts shift over to BA?

10. April 9th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

RakSiam said,

Hopefully this works. I just tried to sign up. Got an email with no membership number. And when I try to login with the email address and password I selected it tells me I am not a member.

11. April 9th, 2012 at 5:27 pm

@ RakSiam — That sounds like the website just being its glitchy self.

12. April 9th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Seymour said,

@ lucky – You’re right. The survey is dead. Following the link you provided results in the following message: “This Survey was closed on 28.02.2012. Thank you for your interest.”

13. April 9th, 2012 at 8:08 pm

RakSiam said,

thanks. finally filtered through their system and the 1000 miles were there right away

14. April 9th, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Bryce said,

Ben-As a fellow blogger, I tried to authenticate for myself that you can combine household accounts.
    Is it anywhere on BMI’s website? I couldn’t find it anywhere on their Diamond Club Terms & Conditions page.

15. April 9th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

@ Bryce — You have to actually log into your account, and then on your membership page there’s a button on the left menu that reads “Family membership.” That being said, unless you intend to redeem Diamond Club miles I wouldn’t create a family account. Instead I’d wait till the miles are combined with Avios, and then create a household account.

16. April 9th, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Bryce said,

Thanks, Lucky:

FYI, It’s actually up to eight members:

17. April 9th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

@ Bryce — It’s British Airways that limits household accounts to seven members, and that’s what I was referring to. I really don’t think it’s worth creating a bmi household account before the merger with British Airways is complete since it could just screw up a household account sometime down the line.

18. April 9th, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Get in on 1,000 FREE British Midland Miles While You Still Can | Field Of Burch said,

[...] So theoretically earn up to 8,000 miles through this way.  Then, as As Ben of One Mile at a Time suggests, once they transfer over  to Avios you could then combine miles for a short-haul, one-way award [...]

19. April 10th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Bryce said,

Will correct, Lucky.

Thanks.

20. April 11th, 2012 at 1:08 am

PatMike said,

per #5 of the terms and conditions:
    “Enrolment bonus miles are non transferable; they cannot be transferred to other Diamond Club member accounts within a Family Membership”

I would just wait until they become Avios…

21. April 11th, 2012 at 7:46 am

RonMexico said,

Gone now, oh well

22. April 11th, 2012 at 8:38 am

zakon said,

Seems dead – the link takes you to the main page instead. I tried signing up someone else and after a few hours no points…

23. April 11th, 2012 at 4:37 pm

1000 free BMI miles maybe = 1000 free BA miles, or more if you combine with household accounts | Point Hacks said,

[...] April 12, 2012 by Keith. Average Reading Time: about a minute. « PreviousNext » via One Mile at a Time, here’s a quick, neat way to potentially earn a nice stash of British Airways Avios (maybe up [...]

24. April 12th, 2012 at 10:04 am

CG said,

I just registered with Diamond club using the link, but I do not see 1000 miles in my account. How much it takes for these points to posted?

25. April 12th, 2012 at 10:53 am

@ CG — It appears as if they’ve had a site redesign and no longer offer the bonus points. Sorry!

26. April 20th, 2012 at 12:00 pm