Via Gary, all United award tickets from Hong Kong (or roundtrips to Hong Kong) are pricing at four miles each way (one-ways, roundtrips, saver awards, standard awards etc.).

While the first page does indeed list the “normal” price, the following pages (including the e-receipts) reflect the 4-8 mile prices.

On one hand I can’t imagine the tickets will be honored, though at the same time here’s what the new DOT regulations say on a matter like this:

Section 399.88(a) states that it is an unfair and deceptive practice for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, or of a tour or tour component that includes scheduled air transportation within, to, or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation to a consumer after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of a government-imposed tax or fee and only if the passenger is advised of a possible increase before purchasing a ticket. A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.”

A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above. The Enforcement Office would consider any contract of carriage provision that attempts to relieve a carrier of the prohibition against post-purchase price increase to be an unfair and deceptive practice in violation of 49 U.S.C. § 41712.

So how can they not honor it?

1. July 15th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Peter_Ng said,

DOT new regulations. Yes, let see how UA will play this :-)

2. July 15th, 2012 at 11:01 am

riverchica said,

Crazy! Just checked and two award tix for 8 miles. Wish I could get in on this to see what happens.

3. July 15th, 2012 at 11:02 am

Gary said,

Seems to me they’ll have to offer refunds and not just within 24 hours of ticketing, even if they pull the proper amount of miles (as they seem to be doing at least for some people who have the right amount of miles). Take a screen shot.

Some folks have reported getting ticketed at the lower price, though I haven’t independently verified that they actually got tickets issued and only 4 miles pulled apiece.

But I don’t think the DOT rules are that they have to honor, rather that they have to cover any expenses incurred by consumers in reliance on the idea that they would honor — in order words if you book non-refundable hotel based on their issuing tickets at 4 miles, if they want to cancel they’d have to cover whatever else you’re out of pocket. But I haven’t paid too close attention to these rules or how they’re applied in practice.

4. July 15th, 2012 at 11:03 am

@ Gary — Just copy and pasted the new rules above. Seems to suggest they have to honor, no?

5. July 15th, 2012 at 11:07 am

adam said,

What dates were you looking at. I just tried and it priced normally.

6. July 15th, 2012 at 11:08 am

BBD said,

Booked 2 F tixs and received eticket #’s
    Total Price 8 Miles and $144.80
    HKG-NRT
    NRT-DFW
    DFW-ORD
    ORD-SIN

7. July 15th, 2012 at 11:08 am

@ adam — Just about any date. Are you looking at either a roundtrip to Hong Kong OR a trip originating in Hong Kong?

8. July 15th, 2012 at 11:14 am

AdamH said,

The way I read the rules they can still cancel the ticket. It seems to not allow the airline to go back into your account and just take out the difference from the miles you should have been charged vs the miles that you were actually charged.

9. July 15th, 2012 at 11:16 am

Ansh said,

My united account is 120k miles less instead of 4 miles, but my e-mail confirmation shows 4 miles. Anyone else notice this?

10. July 15th, 2012 at 11:16 am

JS said,

Got 2 over Thanksgiving in First, EWR-HKG for 8 miles + $77 fees.

11. July 15th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Gary said,

Now looks gone to me.

Not sure whether the DOT rules apply to award travel (whether that counts as ‘sold’ and whether an increased mileage requirement counts as raising price) but will be interesting to find out.

12. July 15th, 2012 at 11:17 am

AdamH said,

Not to be a buzz kill, but the way I read the rules they can still cancel a ticket. What they can’t do is just pull the mileage difference from your account

13. July 15th, 2012 at 11:20 am

Gary said,

I take it back, it’s still working, United.com was just being glitchy (shocker i know)

14. July 15th, 2012 at 11:26 am

Tao said,

It shows 4 miles in the itinerary, but my account was deducted 60k miles. the activities are not available at the moment though.

15. July 15th, 2012 at 11:29 am

Blaine said,

I booked it though it hasnt confirmed I only have 7k miles in my account so we’ll see what it does.

16. July 15th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Ben said,

Booked, awaiting eticket # I only have 1k miles in my acct.

17. July 15th, 2012 at 11:32 am

beachfan said,

The correct miles are showing right above the incorrect miles.

I think it would be treated like an incorrect credit card charge being trued up. If you are notified each step of the way it’s 160k, how can one successfully argue they thought it should be 4k.

18. July 15th, 2012 at 11:33 am

Adam said,

I booked a couple of trips. Both gave me confirmations followed by ticket #’s in about 5 min. However, no miles deducted from my account.

Hope these stick!

19. July 15th, 2012 at 11:33 am

@ beachfan — The only page on which it shows the higher cost is the first page. All the subsequent pages show the lower cost based on what I’ve seen.

20. July 15th, 2012 at 11:36 am

Rick D said,

I’m in for 5 first class. Unlikely to stick, but worth a shot.

21. July 15th, 2012 at 11:38 am

Ripper3785 said,

Yes, but on the summary page you pasted it shows 70K AND 4.

22. July 15th, 2012 at 11:38 am

JD said,

I just tried it and it wouldn’t process my credit card. I don’t have enough miles to cover a normal award so maybe that’s why.

23. July 15th, 2012 at 11:40 am

AdamH said,

Just got my four mile ticket ticketed…. for 140K miles.

24. July 15th, 2012 at 11:41 am

AdamH said,

i.e. that is what they pulled from my account. If I click on the itin on UA.com it still shows it priced at four miles. Don’t think it is going to be honored but I am not going to cancel quite yet.

25. July 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am

Coby said,

It works for standard awards on UA metal too… Just booked 3, already received etickets for two of them. I didn’t have enough (640k miles) in my account to cover the “non-sale” price, so I assume that’s why I haven’t seen any miles yet deducted from my account yet.

26. July 15th, 2012 at 11:42 am

PanAm said,

I think the fact that the correct, higher amount shows above the incorrect “total”, and the correct amounts are shown where one selects the flights in the previous step, is going to make this easy for UA to get out of.

OTOH, businesses do often set up sales/specials where the discount isn’t shown until the final step, in the grand total. So it wouldn’t be unprecedented by any means.

I went in for 3 J tickets in December (only 900 miles in my account right now!). No real expectation that it will stick, but what the hell.

27. July 15th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Kyle Dunst said,

Just booked it for 4 miles. I only had 4000 in my account. I’ll let you know what happens.

28. July 15th, 2012 at 11:44 am

AdamH said,

FInally, just to add, even on the e-receipt it shows 4 miles as the cost. Again though, 140K were pulled from my account (yesterday’s cost).

29. July 15th, 2012 at 11:47 am

Tao said,

if you click view the itinerary after you completed the booking, it’ll show 1 award 4 miles, total 4 miles

30. July 15th, 2012 at 11:48 am

Mike said,

Booked a EWR>HKG ticket, got a confirmation number, no miles deducted, but my e-ticket shows the total price as 4 miles.

I paid the remainder of my ticket with my Chase PresidentialPlus card which has a trip protection service. I have read into the TOS of the “Chase Enhancement Services” and trip protection covers Money & Miles trips, and Award Tickets. Therefore if they do raise the fair, I am theoretically covered up to 5k per segment. A lot of “ifs” on this ticket, but I think with enough follow through it will stand.

31. July 15th, 2012 at 11:49 am

Ben said,

Two etickets received, no miles deducted yet.

32. July 15th, 2012 at 11:51 am

JD said,

I tried it again with a different credit card and it worked. Of course, the receipt says it’s processing so I don’t think it will actually be ticketed.

33. July 15th, 2012 at 11:54 am

adam said,

Lucky…ticketed and confirmed! Thanks.

34. July 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am

Tao said,

it seems if you only have a few thousand miles in the account, they are not letting you enter passenger info. the page has been loading forever

35. July 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am

AdamH said,

Got a trip to SGN to price at four miles too…

36. July 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am

@ Tao — I suggest trying a different browser.

37. July 15th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Ben said,

@Tao, I only have one thousand miles and I got ticketed.

38. July 15th, 2012 at 11:58 am

Kyle Dunst said,

Ticketed and confirmed!!! That pretty much means it worked right?

39. July 15th, 2012 at 11:58 am

@ Kyle — Yep, it means it worked, but there’s no guarantee they’ll honor it. We can hope, though!

40. July 15th, 2012 at 11:59 am

Jon said,

@tao I had that issue in Chrome but it worked fine in IE9

41. July 15th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Tao said,

@Ben @Lucky I tried safari and chrome, neither is working, but when I logged in with my other account that has over 200k miles, it goes right through. I did make one booking using that account, however 60k were deducted even when the receipt and itinerary both say 4 miles total.

42. July 15th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

If they were to not honor it, when would I find out? At check in?

43. July 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

@ Kyle — Give it 48 hours tops to unfold.

44. July 15th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Mordy said,

I booked 4 first class on United Metal. All 4 have been ticketed.

45. July 15th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Mike said,

They deducted 70k amount from my account. What’s the award ticket cancellation policy if they don’t honor the published amount? Can someone call Jeff?

46. July 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

@ Mike — Given that the e-ticket receipt should state the lower amount, at the very least I think it goes without saying that you can get a free refund after all of this unfolds.

47. July 15th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Tao said,

Tried firefox, finally went through. Awesome! BTW, I can cancel my previous booking within 24 hrs without paying redeposit fee, right?

48. July 15th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

@ Tao — That’s correct.

49. July 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

OG said,

I booked a few awards, with the final price showing taxes +4 miles, but they have withdrew over 700k, what are people doing in this case? refunding?

50. July 15th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

David said,

Only UA metal or UA and *A?

51. July 15th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

@ OG — I’d wait 24 hours for the dust to settle. You have the confirmation that indicates the price, so hold off.

52. July 15th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Nate said,

Lucky –

If I just book SFO-HKG but then later decide to change dates and/or change my start say from IAD-SFO-HKG, will they reprice the reward?

Meaning should I try to make the tickets I’m booking now as accurate to my real plans as possible or just get a few ones on the books and then later worry about specific dates and routings?

I’m worried by later changing or updating my reservation, the award will be ‘re-priced’ and I’ll be charged a ton of miles.

53. July 15th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

@ David — Star Alliance metal works as well.

54. July 15th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

JS said,

Is anyone trying to book a flight for today, then checking in…?

55. July 15th, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Ernie said,

Well I also jumped on this and made two reservations on global first for labor day and thanksgiving at 8 miles and 80 dollars in fees.

56. July 15th, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Rich said,

Looks like it’s dead :( SFO-HKG inventory is pulled on multiple days on the UA metal, *A metal is pricing properly now.

57. July 15th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Ed said,

holy crap this is epic… im gonna be based in HK in two weeks time… but i have 0 miles in my united account! what can i do?!?!??!!

58. July 15th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Ed said,

still alive still alive

59. July 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Antonio said,

Darn, boarding a flight to HKG in 2 hours, I was hoping to get a quick last minute upgrade. :-P

60. July 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Rich said,

What are you finding that works?

61. July 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Ed said,

question- im willing to take a gamble… however

1. United says in order to buy 2000 miles, it takes 48 hours to post the miles- does anyone have experience with how long it takes to post the miles?

2. I’ve got no issues with going the SPG route to buy 1000 miles (empty on SPG too) and do a transfer to United…. is this transfer instant?

thanks!!! nervously pacing about ready to book about 30 flights

62. July 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Ed said,

hkg-bkk in TG first class works

63. July 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

@ Rich — ORD-HKG for most dates.

64. July 15th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

@ Ed — Neither is instant. The only instant transfer is Ultimate Rewards. Truthfully the change of them honoring is very small, so I’m not sure I’d bother unless you’re doing it purely for entertainment.

65. July 15th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

thyeri said,

Have two bookings on hold but cannot ticket them because I don’t have any mile sitting in my account. I transferred miles from US Air via points.com but it can take a few days to process… Then tried to purchase 2000 miles but they don’t allow me to for security reasons.

66. July 15th, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Tenmoc said,

I am seeing the 8 for 2 ticket up until trying to apply payment then saying it is not working and to call UAL cust service which of course i’m not doing. Looking like it is dead or getting close to it.

67. July 15th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Ed said,

I’m really interested to see what will happen… I have a strange feeling that United wont pick up on this… but that’s just gut instinct… i’ve got no miles… so cant do anything…

68. July 15th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

David said,

Holy &*ap it works on LH F!

69. July 15th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

HoKo said,

@Lucky thoughts on booking a ticket departing tomorrow morning? I wonder how they would handle it if my trip has already commended, not a whole lot they can do unless they catch it before I step on that plane right? I suppose they could cancel the return legs and it could turn into a nightmare…

70. July 15th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

@ Ed — I’d say it’s unlikely they won’t pick up on it given that they’re deducting the full number of miles from accounts that have enough miles, and not deducting any miles for those without enough miles.

71. July 15th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

HoKo said,

Commenced*

72. July 15th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

@ HoKo — We’d love for you to be our guinea pig! Really am quite curious what would happen if you ticketed and then checked in right away. They’d have a pretty hard time canceling that, in my opinion, but it would be interesting to see!

73. July 15th, 2012 at 12:42 pm

HoKo said,

@Lucky, I’m seriously considering it. You got travel plans this week? How about we do dinner in SoHo tomorrow night (I’m half joking but half serious haha) Who’s joining us?!

74. July 15th, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Rich said,

@David: How are you routing for LH F?

The click-through to 8 miles is hard to predict it seems :/

75. July 15th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Antonio said,

Just booked 1 HKG-BKK on TG A380 F for 4 miles plus pocket change. Let’s hope it sticks! *fingers crossed*

76. July 15th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

JN said,

Booked and ticketed for flights this afternoon for YVR-FRA-HKG in LH F. I can’t see LH denying me.

77. July 15th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

janet said,

just booked first class for my parents dec 30-jan 13 ORD to HKG for 8 miles and $71.00. i guess United’s going to have to refund or honor, correct?

thanks lucky!!

78. July 15th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

@ JN — PLEASE let us know how it goes. You’re the ultimate guinea pig!

79. July 15th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Ed said,

Does anyone have 1000 Ultimate Rewards Points they’d want to trade? i’ll offer back 2000 AA miles… i really want to get in on this offer and see what happens.

edwardwong1@gmail.com

80. July 15th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

@ janet — It will definitely be honored OR they’d refund you, I’d say.

81. July 15th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Gary said,

@JN you’re our hero

82. July 15th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Ben said,

Is it dead? I’m getting this message on multiple tries:

83. July 15th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Brent said,

Have they stopped HKG award travel? Not seeing it going through.

84. July 15th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

DaveW said,

Just got two round trip tickets IAD-HKG, routing through SFO there and NRT back right after Christmas. Only 8 miles and about $114. Fingers crossed.

@Lucky – when/if these are cancelled, think it is worth it to call and ask for miles for the “inconvenience?”

85. July 15th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

@ DaveW — Let’s cross that bridge when we get there!

86. July 15th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

ucipass said,

I think it is dead as of 5 minutes ago…..darn it it priced out 4 miles and then died.

87. July 15th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

Looks like its dead now!

88. July 15th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Frequent Flyer University said,

Still working. Just did ORD-HKG in Nov. and ORD->HKG HKG->BOM in Dec. and it all went through and ticketed.

89. July 15th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Jon said,

ticketed a few of these, routing through YVR on air canada, went to book more and cant get anything to show up

90. July 15th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Mike said,

Why am I getting this message every time I search: “united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.”

91. July 15th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Erik said,

just missed it, appears dead with error message

92. July 15th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Joe Rybicki said,

Is anyone getting a “Ticket Issuance Delay” e-mail? I’m hoping it’s just because I screwed up and double-booked…

93. July 15th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Ariana said,

I just booked 2 flights SFO-HKG in December. I tried to book another flight for someone, but the deal seems to be dead. No award availability is appearing for HKG this year.

94. July 15th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Chris said,

Yup, me-thinks Hong Kong has finally gotten on United’s award-booking radar. let the real fun begin!…

95. July 15th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

I say all however-many of us argue if they try to cancel it!

96. July 15th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

hobo13 said,

So, if the deal is dead, is it inappropriate to start a discussion thread on FT or MP? We really need a consolidated place for the discussion and the ’7 steps of mistake fares’!

97. July 15th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

andrew said,

Booked 2 sets of two tickets each. 8 miles for each set… Had 12,000 miles in the account before the tickets were booked.

98. July 15th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

The Weekly Flyer said,

It looks dead for anything through HKG.

99. July 15th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ed said,

ARGH….. LOOKS DEAD

100. July 15th, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yichuan said,

Woohoo! Managed to book a trip before it’s dead. I should have booked earlier when it showed all BusinessFirst / First products. Now I only have NRT-SFO UA838 in First.

101. July 15th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Yichuan said,

I am going SFO-YVR-HKG-BKK-PEK ; PVG-NRT-SFO. late Aug and late Sep, round trip.

102. July 15th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The Weekly Flyer said,

I got my ticket #s already.

103. July 15th, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Antonio said,

Ticketed. Can’t wait to hear from JN

104. July 15th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Ed said,

Definitely dead… tried Routing SFO-BKK… all the stops are via Tokyo… seems as if Hong Kong as a city has been pulled off the reservations website

105. July 15th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Tao said,

I have another reservation with BA on YVR-HKG booked yesterday. Should I call to cancel? it’s free within 24hrs, right?

106. July 15th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Antonio said,

@Tao – Only if you have the award ticket already ticketed first.

107. July 15th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Steelsnow said,

Crazy timing since so many had emptied their accounts or at least mostly drained them in last week’s Singapore Swing and only had a few miles left at the moment….. Let the waiting begin (*lucky* ticket #’s in hand)!

108. July 15th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Antonio said,

@Tao – And even then, United might not honor these, so it’s a gamble.

109. July 15th, 2012 at 1:16 pm

AJ said,

Would suck for JN if they allowed JN to fly the first leg and then cancelled the ticket while in the air… :|

110. July 15th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Ari said,

1) Why – when every other day I check yours and Gary’s blogs first thing in the morning – did I start today off with cereal and Facebook?! I’m sooo mad I didn’t get on this :(

2) Why couldn’t this have come last week IN CONJUNCTION WITH the SQ Christmas-in-July? Haha – can you imagine? 8 miles for four long-haul 777-300 SQ F flights?? Haha

111. July 15th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

ZH said,

Anything dates to Hong Kong now show no availability :-(

112. July 15th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Zach said,

my segments between HKG and NRT were showing in first, then automatically booked into coach..

113. July 15th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

Has anyone heard from / contacted UAL?

114. July 15th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

thyeri said,

Anyone willing to help me with 1000 Ultimate Rewards Points?? I could send you a paypal transfer. I have two confirmed itineraries but can’t ticket it now. Waiting for the transfer from US Airways… :(

115. July 15th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

@ thyeri — The deal is dead.

116. July 15th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

@ Kyle — Patience, grasshopper! Give ‘em at least till tomorrow morning!

117. July 15th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Ari said,

3) Why do I live on the west coast?! Had I been up on the East coast, I would have had plenty of time for this!

118. July 15th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

@ Zach — You sure there wasn’t a “mixed cabin” warning when you booked? No Star Alliance airline even operates a first class product between Tokyo and Hong Kong.

119. July 15th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

hobo13 said,

There’s a report on Gary’s blog that other cities (CAN/SZX) are working. I can’t replicate that. Anybody have any luck?

120. July 15th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Anita said,

Booked and ticketed for my family of 5 around noon.

Just tried for my brother-in-law and his family and I’m getting no award availability for any routing.

121. July 15th, 2012 at 1:24 pm

thyeri said,

@lucky My itineraries are on hold and it still shows 4 mile + taxes. It should not be too late to confirm with payment.

122. July 15th, 2012 at 1:26 pm

@ thyeri — Best I can tell that doesn’t work either.

123. July 15th, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ed said,

SZX and CAN does not work for me

124. July 15th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Cmd said,

Damn too late I guess. Can’t get anything to work

125. July 15th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

eric m. said,

BY THE WAY– I think the SMART thing to do here is to NOT NOT NOT call United… assume everything is fine unless you hear otherwise. The last thing any of us wants is a bunch of folks calling United to “check” on these very special itineraries. Best case you could get your ticket cancelled… worst case you could jeopardize everyone who is on this deal. Not to be dramatic or anything. ;-)

126. July 15th, 2012 at 1:35 pm

eric m. said,

(Lucky, correct me if I’m wrong)

127. July 15th, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Paul said,

I got 3 tickets FC From vegas in March.

128. July 15th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

@ eric — Well said, and you are of course correct! Just give it 48 hours, folks, for this to unfold, before calling United about ANYTHING related to these itineraries.

129. July 15th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

PanAm said,

@eric m – the ship has sailed on that* – regardless of whether anyone calls. Once it hit the BA blogs and FT there are way too many bookings for this to skate by unnoticed. The first person, or few people, who discovered this may have had a shot at it flying under the radar.

*Though I agree it’s never a good idea to call, and I still wouldn’t in this case regardless…

130. July 15th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

Dont get my wrong, I am definitely NOT calling United. Was just wondering if anyone had heard from them. I agree with Eric M & Lucky.

131. July 15th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Tao said,

@eric should highlight this in the posts on MP and FT ASAP! I’m sure ppl are calling UA right now.

132. July 15th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

London Tim said,

So…is Lucky going to do 6 transpacs in 5 days again?!

133. July 15th, 2012 at 1:50 pm

AdamH said,

@zach @lucky I have noticed that ANA flights were not showing the mixed cabin notice for me when booking an F award. It showed it as fine with 3-cabin F though when I got to the page to price it booked in to Biz (I inventory).

134. July 15th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Will said,

is it still working? or it is too late?

135. July 15th, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Gary said,

@AdamH I saw the same thing, as we know the united website has LOTS of glitches.. :P

136. July 15th, 2012 at 1:55 pm

@ AdamH — Now that you mention it, I saw that as well!

@ Will — It’s dead, sorry.

137. July 15th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Ari said,

What about the SZX/CAN options. Any chance of turning that into something worthwhile??

138. July 15th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

es said,

Is this JN person for real? If so, can we follow your adventure on twitter or the like?

139. July 15th, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Joel said,

Had I thought about it sooner, I would have loved to be a guinea pig for this today or tomorrow!

140. July 15th, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Steelsnow said,

@ Lucky: Instead of moving to HK, now you could just go back and forth whenever you like for the next year (and just dumping the extra tix when other business comes up or you don’t feel like it).

If this does go through, United should sign a big deal with the China Tourism board and at least get a big bunch of advertising out of this!

141. July 15th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Susan said,

Booked:
    JFK-FRA/FRA-BKK/BKK-HKG/HKG-DOH/DOH-JFK Ticketed! Sweet!
    Lufthansa/Thai/Qatar A combination of business and first including the A-380 and 777.

142. July 15th, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Forest said,

I have no united miles. anyone who is nice enough to book one for me?I We can arrange some sort of exchange.

143. July 15th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

@Forest, the deal is already dead.

144. July 15th, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Tuppy said,

Well though it says 16 miles on my receipt, it deducted 130k miles though that is for four tix. Not as good as 16 but buy 1 get 3 free would be a good enough deal. JFK-ord-hkg round trip. Mix of biz and first.

145. July 15th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Joe Bloggs said,

The blogs kill another one. Congrats guys!

146. July 15th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Tao said,

shoot, some of the segments are automatically downgraded to economy. I only found out after they were ticketed. I don’t suppose there’s a way to change it back? lol

147. July 15th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

@ Joe — So you knew about the deal before it was written about on the Internet? Also angry about us sharing the Singapore deal?

148. July 15th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

1K said,

Blogs didn’t kill this, people. It’s not fucking happening, and you’re crazy if you think otherwise.

149. July 15th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

@ Tao — Hah, unfortunately I’d say you’re out of luck.

150. July 15th, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Joe Bloggs said,

No, I had no idea about it. Perhaps I would have stumbled upon it. Red herring much?

151. July 15th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Brent said,

My account just dropped 70k in the last 5 minutes. Two hours after booking the ticket for 4 miles.

152. July 15th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

UAPremierGuy said,

Although it appears that I was late to the game on this one, I appreciate it and all deals being posted here. I have gotten in on many a deal thanks to this blog, FT, etc., including, most recently, the SQ deal. So, I, for one, appreciate the effort and time spent posting and responding. Thanks, Lucky!

153. July 15th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

JohnnieD said,

Thanksgiving in HKG for 4 in C………..

154. July 15th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

John said,

There is ZERO chance of United honoring this. United clearly prints a chart of award travel mileage rates. This was just some sort of computer error.

Further there have been many mistake fares that U.S. carriers have not honored. This is not even a mistake fare, it is a computer error.

155. July 15th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

@ John — While I’m not convinced they’ll honor them, it’s not that straightforward. The CoC award chart doesn’t supersede DoT regulations, so I don’t think it’ll be quite as easy for them as you assume.

156. July 15th, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

Mine now says 4 miles in both the “1 Award” and “Total Price” sections of my reservation. Before it said 65,000 miles in “1 award”

157. July 15th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Bob said,

On the bright side, at least UA’s transportation law counsel will be billing some heavy hours over the next day or two.

158. July 15th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Lance said,

I was able to ticket two seats in May of 2013. Originally, my account was untouched now 140,000 miles have been debited. If I cancel the reservation, do I get my miles back?

159. July 15th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

@ Lance — Yes, though I would hold off for a bit and see how this plays out.

160. July 15th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Lance said,

What happens after 24 hrs? Can I still cancel and get my miles back then? I was under the assumption that the cancellation was only good for 24 hours

161. July 15th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Michael Mays said,

If you went to the store and the cashier punched in $1.99 instead of $1,990 , collected a $1.99 and gave you a receipt for $1.99, would that be right just because the cashier made a mistake?

162. July 15th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Rich said,

@Kyle Dunst– Upon checking, everyone should see the low miles posted in reviewing their reservation(s). Your “receipt” should show the same. United issued a lot of documentation showing only the 4 or 8 FF mile cost.

163. July 15th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

SapphireSwell said,

Well, someone is on a plane to HKG today: http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=18043.240

We can all stay tuned to see if he gets stuck…

164. July 15th, 2012 at 3:40 pm

@ Lance — Usually you only have 24 hours to cancel, but if you agreed to pay four miles but were charged 140,000, you could definitely get a refund at a later time.

165. July 15th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

@Rich. My receipt shows the higher amount (actually 97.500 not 65,000 – Sorry), but when I log in under my reservation it says 4.

166. July 15th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Rich said,

@ Michael Mays — Ah, but the airlines claim FF miles have NO cash value! That being the case, your comment isn’t comparing “apples to apples” —-

167. July 15th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Rich said,

@ Kyle Dunst – Under “Mileage Plus Miles Debited” in my e-mailed receipt, it shows 8.

168. July 15th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

@Rich – I’m not arguing with you. I’m talking about the “United.com reservation for Hong Kong” email

169. July 15th, 2012 at 3:59 pm

JN said,

Checked in and soon to board. Honored.

170. July 15th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

@JN That is awesome! You might be the only one

171. July 15th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Rich said,

@Klye Dunst– No problem. I was referring to my “MileagePlus eTicket Itinerary and Receipt” e-mail sent by United. It shows the Conf.#, ticket #’s, itinerary, $ cost and miles(8) debited. If you received one, check it out. — Rich

172. July 15th, 2012 at 4:03 pm

@ JN — YOU’RE OUR HERO! Keep us updated!

173. July 15th, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

@Rich Yeah that one shows 4 for me too. When viewing my reservation from the United website it originally said 97,5 but now says 4.

174. July 15th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

WDH said,

So, we booked 2 flights in an account with a hefty balance. All receipts show 4 miles per itinerary, but they had just deducted 70,000 miles per itinerary. I don’t think they can do that? The other account that didn’t have a big balance still shows with a 70K reduction. Lucky, any advice? Receipts are clear they are 4 miles each plus taxes.

175. July 15th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Susan said,

Interesting. My seats were all chosen and confirmed but now United says seats cannot be assigned in advance when I went to check the seating. So I think they are running through these reservations in some sort of way.
    The reservation is still showing as ticketed. The seats are shown on the receipt and are still showing in the Lufthansa booking reference.

176. July 15th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

@ WDH — They obviously can’t do that, and at the very least you’d get a refund. I’d suggest waiting at least another 24 hours to see how they decide to settle this. Obviously they can’t deduct more miles than the receipt shows (though that doesn’t seem to stop them).

177. July 15th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Pulvdiggity said,

Lucky, I appreciate all your work and posts. But I think most lawyers would not agree with your reading of the DOT regulations. Administrative law is extremely complex and few regulations are as black and white as you suggest. Not only is there a problem assuming a mileage ticket fits under any of the defined terms in the regs (which it doesn’t), there are long held doctrines of “unclean hands” and mutual mistake which my guess is DOT would apply here. Unclean hands: “I know they’re making a major pricing mistake, but if they try and fix it, I will say “hahah DOT Reg.” Mutual Mistake: You know that there’s a clear mistake, and you try and take advantage of it; when the other party figures out the mistake, they try to undo the transaction; the transaction can be undone. People debate this all the time on FT and the like, but the legal principle isn’t particularly debatable. Your blog and others arguably would be proof that this is a mistake (though the mere pricing of 4 cents per mile is so obvious a mistake unto itself). Moreover, if someone booked a ticket that had $400 above the line and $4 in the total line, its not an unfair/deceptive trade practice to charge them $400 — which they said was the price at time of booking.

178. July 15th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

TravelerMSY said,

They’re certainly going to cancel. The tariff for their mileage tickets is their published award booking charts, not what the website says on the second screen. Don’t think this would hold up in a court of law.

179. July 15th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Fosij said,

@ jn YAY!

@lucky do u have 4 chase ur to spare? I managed to get a ow reserved, but I don’t have ua miles. Can u help please?

180. July 15th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

weirdlyndon said,

While I can see United as possibly canceling itineraries that include partner flights, they may allow those that are UA metal only. Either way, JN is already on a plane and was able to utilize this glitch to his advantage instantly. I’m sure major meeting will be called tomorrow in Chicago to discuss how to handle this, and folks from management, revenue management, finance, interline, and public relations all in attendance.

181. July 15th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

@ Fosij — The deal has been pulled, so not sure what you’d want to do at this point?

182. July 15th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

janyyc said,

@JN that’s awesome!!

183. July 15th, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Fosij said,

@lucky I held my ticket. Its still alive.

184. July 15th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Fosij said,

I just need miles to complete my purchase.

185. July 15th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

ffi said,

@JN, you are our hero for sure.
    This may be the only one who gets it honored.
    btw, when / how are you coming back?
    Tell us after you return.
    Will be sad if they catch you in FRA or in HKG.

186. July 15th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Blaine said,

Ben – any guesstimate on how many people got in on this?

187. July 15th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

nathan fruchter said,

i booked HKG-NRT-SFO-JFK OW in F for 4 mines & 54 bucks ! got e-ticket alrady & even seats in the F class cabin. my total mileage balance is 751 miles, no miles been deducted so far. My e-ticket shows Award Used: 4/XF72 go figure.

i note now that my HLG-NRT sector is in Y w Air Japan (BOOKED IN CLASS X) BUT MY NRT-SFO-JFK are both in FX class.

188. July 15th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Bob said,

The DOT Reg is really the wild card here. While “unclean hands”, mistake, etc. would normally apply in this and situations like the KE fare ($125 for first class RGN-USA is obviously a mistake and this is from someone who got in on it), the DOT has decided that it is not a defense when it comes to a mistake fare paid for with money. I was relatively shocked to read the guidance that DOT issued with the reg. The idea that award miles and/or taxes also would fall under the regulation is not that far-fetched. It will be interesting to see how the DOT interprets it and it will not be as clear-cut as some of the commenters above claim.

189. July 15th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

HoKo said,

@Lucky Any idea if JN has a twitter feed (or something similar that we can follow)

190. July 15th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hear Ye! » Minutes count… said,

[...] literally 4, not 4k, or 70k, which is the normal going rate). Apparently it’s been already honored at least once (comment [...]

191. July 15th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

rahul said,

Booked 9 F tickets total. 3 sets of 3 for my family and I. If this is honored I will use 2 sets of them. So far seats have stuck, but miles have not been deducted (booked at 10:00 AM PST on 7/15). We’ll see what happens.

Thanks Gary and Lucky

192. July 15th, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Joel said,

Please keep us posted with those who got on a flight today!

193. July 15th, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Ben said,

Rahul- any interest in selling me the other set? On award flights you can switch names. I am willing to pay you now- gambling that they wont be cancelled. Even if it gets cancelled, you keep my money, in return you give me a good deal on a set of flights- what you say?

194. July 15th, 2012 at 11:39 pm

@ Ben — Since when can you switch names on award flights? News to me!

195. July 16th, 2012 at 12:01 am

Tao said,

@Ben you crack me up, good one, try harder next time :)

196. July 16th, 2012 at 8:32 am

Pablo said,

I booked a BOS-HKG round trip in March 2013, it was confirmed and ticketed…However, I made the stupidest mistake in the world…I calculated the return day wrong and it turned out the return trip was one day after my ideal day to come back to the states…So I called UA Hongkong and asked them to change the flights for me in order to push the date forward for a day. My heart was literally on string when I was calling them. And the agent seemed to be unaware of the wrong price 4 miles that I used to booked the standard BOS-HKG first class trip which requires 32W normally…And then she successfully change the return trip day for me. However, It took forever for she to ticket it. Finally she said there was something wrong with the system and she cannot ticket it but can confirm it for me at that time. And she said she will call me tomorrow and try to ticket it tomorrow…What should I do? Will they ticket my trip???

197. July 16th, 2012 at 9:23 am

Pablo said,

UPDATE:I called the UA America and they realize that I used 4 miles to book the trip. And they said I am in the calling list and there will be someone to discuss it with me……

198. July 16th, 2012 at 9:25 am

Kyle Dunst said,

So much for not calling United….

199. July 16th, 2012 at 9:30 am

Haley said,

@Pablo ohhhhhhhhhh……. thanks for the update. it seems like bad news’ waiting for me

200. July 16th, 2012 at 9:44 am

D.Z. said,

Why the hell would you call now for a MARCH 2013 booking?? Did you not read **ANYTHING** Lucky and others wrote??

201. July 16th, 2012 at 10:39 am

J.R said,

they made clean up(disappear) the reservation hasn’t been ticketed. it was holding status. Anyone have same happens?

202. July 16th, 2012 at 10:42 am

@ J.R — If you weren’t ticketed last night and just had the ticket on hold I’m not surprised to hear they canceled or repriced it.

203. July 16th, 2012 at 10:48 am

J.R said,

CC has been charged but ticket is not issued.

the reservation supposed to hold until mid night today as 24H.

204. July 16th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Tom said,

@Kyle D

Don’t worry.. there is always one in the group that feels exempt from the rules. UA knew it had a drama yesterday anyways…otherwise they wouldn’t have shut off HKG reward bookings

205. July 16th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

@Tom – Yeah thats true.

206. July 16th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Lyndon said,

@J.R. – no, your credit card just has a temporary authorization on it. It’s not “charged” until actually ticketed and it shows up in on your account as charges that have gone through.

207. July 16th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

KD said,

Looks like according to their twitter that United is too busy cheering on the Archery team at ORD to worry about this :)

208. July 16th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Ren said,

So, do we have more confidence that this is a “go”? I have confirmed and ticketed for at least 24 hours now for my departure next week, and not a peep from United.

209. July 16th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Kyle Dunst said,

@Ren – Same for me. If nothing develops, Im going to be a little worried getting on my flight with the fear of them canceling my return trip.

210. July 16th, 2012 at 2:21 pm

T said,

So the tickets are showing confirmed in my United account and my credit card charge was processed ($40.50 x 2). Can I assume that my tickets are good?

211. July 16th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Ren said,

@KD – I’m not worried, I’m more confident now that this is a go.

212. July 16th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

@Ren – What day are you going? Im leaving (maybe) the 25th

213. July 16th, 2012 at 4:51 pm

JN friend said,

JN is on the way from FRA-SIN in LH F. No issues.

214. July 16th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Antonio said,

JN, how many miles deducted from your account so far?

215. July 16th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Ken said,

Its over. Response from United on Flytalk.

216. July 16th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Chris said,

All this unrealistic angst over a computer glitch award no one in their right mind would expect to be honored. Sort of funny how easily United put all this embarrassing drama to an end with one little post. Anyone who cries foul over this will only be embarrassing themselves even more than they’ve already done.

217. July 16th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

CDKing said,

I wish i got in time to book. I book these not because I expect them to be honored but for what compensation i may get for the inconvenience.

218. July 17th, 2012 at 9:05 am

Drew said,

“but for what compensation i may get for the inconvenience.”

The inconvenience? Seriously? Wow….

219. July 18th, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Tao said,

any word from JN? on the way back from HKG yet?