Introduction
Singapore Airlines First Class Singapore to Frankfurt
InterContinental Berchtesgaden & Surrounding Areas
Le Meridien Parkhotel Frankfurt
Lufthansa First Class Terminal Frankfurt
Lufthansa 747-8 First Class Frankfurt to Washington Dulles
Westin Washington Dulles Airport

Last summer I stayed at the InterContinental Berchtesgaden for the first time, and fell in love not only with the hotel, but also with the town of Berchtesgaden and the surrounding scenery and towns. I suggest checking out my previous review of the InterContinental Berchtesgaden and recap of Berchtesgaden, as it’s much more detailed than this one will be.

It’s always nice to return to one of your favorite places in the world and find that absolutely nothing changed. Check-in was quick and we were upgraded to the same type of Penthouse Suite as last time (our rate was roughly 200 Euros per night). We were staying for four nights.

Hotel exterior

The Penthouse Suite is a two level suite. On the first level is a desk, sitting area, balcony, and bathroom.

Looking towards the first floor

First floor

First floor

First floor

Bathroom on first floor

View from the balcony

On the second floor is the living room and bedroom, featuring floor to ceiling windows.

Living room

The welcome amenity was also in the living room, consisting of a bottle of wine and some snacks.

Welcome amenity

The bedroom also features floor to ceiling windows.

Bedroom

The master bathroom is huge, though oddly it features big windows as well, which face the interior of the hotel, so it really makes sense to lower the shades before going in there.

Bathroom

Bathroom

The unique thing about the second floor balcony is that it’s really a shared space for all the Penthouse Suites, as there’s no partition between the rooms. Instead you just have a huge open space with views of the surrounding areas.

Second floor balcony

That’s all I’ll say about the hotel, because I think I did it justice in my last review. Suffice to say the service is incredible, the rooms beautiful, and location amazing.

Berchtesgaden is one of my four favorite places on earth, and probably my favorite place to relax. You know those “fresh scent” air fresheners? Well, that’s what the entire area smells like.

The town of Berchtesgaden itself is beautiful, not only in terms of scenery, but it just has such a quaint “small town” feel. There’s a huge pedestrian zone with all kinds of restaurants, shops, etc., where we ate most days. My parents are both from small towns in Germany, so it quite feels like home to me.

Berchtesgaden

In addition to the town there are so many “active” things to do within 15-20 minutes. One of the most amazing things had to be a gondola ride on the “Jennberbahn,” which boasts amazing views of the entire Koenigssee region. I think the pictures below speak for themselves.

View from Jennerbahn

View from Jennerbahn

View from Jennerbahn

At the last stop you can hike up to the top of the mountain, which boasts even more amazing views.

View of Koenigssee region

View of Koenigssee region

Another awesome thing I hadn’t done last time was a tour of the Salt Mine, which is about 10 minutes from Berchtesgaden. Unfortunately photography isn’t allowed in the salt mine, though below is a picture of the “train” you ride to get to the center of it. While it’s a bit “Harry Potter” themed to the extent it feels like more of an amusement park ride than actual tour, it was pretty spectacular nonetheless. Lines were really long, though, given that we went on the day it was raining, along with everyone else in Berchtesgaden, it seemed.

Salt mine tour

Anyway, like last time, let me highly recommend a visit to Berchtesgaden if you have the chance. It’s only about 90 minutes by car (or a little longer by train) from Munich, and only about 30 minutes from Salzburg. No matter what you’re looking for (short of a big city feel), Berchtesgaden has it. Berchtesgaden is such a beautiful town, and there are so many other beautiful towns around it. Then you have hiking, kayaking, salt mine tours, etc. And it’s a good thing they have all those active things, since I was drinking Fanta and eating pretzels as if there was no tomorrow.

I’ll leave it at that, though if anyone has any questions about Berchtesgaden, by all means let me know!

1. September 8th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Jana Miller said,

ahhh…I was here in college with my then boyfriend (now husband). Such great times! Loved the salt mines. Just saying a tour like that would never fly with all the US Safety regulations. Such a great little town!!
    Jana

2. September 8th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

BaBaBinx said,

Ben, how far is this from Lenggries? I stayed at the Arabella Brauneck Hotel there in June. Though the hotel is spartan, that area is simply amazing and also one of the most beautiful places I’ve been. I also did a gondola ride very close to that hotel. As always, I love your trip reports!

3. September 8th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

jmd001 said,

Maybe not for everyone, but one of the most exhilarating experiences I had in the Berchtesgaden area was a “toboggan” ride (riding a wheeled “sled” down a mountain side on a rail or in a trough). You can drill down from http://www.duerrnberg.at/ to see the one I went on (actually across the border in Austria on the way to Hallein). I think there are others. All designed to operate in the “summer” (i.e., non-snow times) only.

The (optional) slides in the Salt Mine are also fun.

4. September 8th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

@ BaBaBinx — Haven’t been to Lenggries, though appears they’re about two hours apart by car.

5. September 8th, 2012 at 1:04 pm

CP@YOW said,

I was in Berchtesgaden last week. Travel to this area is not just about seeing the sights, but also about learning about the sights and the role of this region in history (WWII). I highly recommend the guided tour given by http://www.eagles-nest-tours.com, which takes you to the museum and Nazi bunkers at Obersalzberg and up to the mountaintop “Eagle’s Nest”, built for Hitler. The tour is 50 Euros, but well worth it for the context it gives to the sights. (Without the tour, just the mountain bus from Obersalzberg to the Eagle’s Nest is 15.50 Euros). You will learn the fascinating history of the area in which the Intercontinental (which is a very recently constructed building) is situated.

6. September 8th, 2012 at 2:41 pm

BFrankley said,

Looks beautiful. Want to visit. Would love to go walk in the footsteps of the heroes of Easy Company. Without them, no amount of natural beauty would compensate for the taint of evil that lived there. No mention, Ben?

7. September 8th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Jonathan said,

What a beautiful place. I will put it on my bucket list.

8. September 9th, 2012 at 10:32 am

theblakefish said,

I see that you flew SIN-FRA, but how did you get to MUC/B’gaden?

9. September 9th, 2012 at 11:42 am

@ theblakefish — I had a roundtrip between Frankfurt and Munich as part of the award. If you see the intro post I explain it there.

10. September 11th, 2012 at 3:35 am

Iya said,

I am planning a trip to South Bavaria next April, for about 4 nights. Is it worth staying at the Intercontinental all 4 nights given that I plan to see the Neuschwanstein and Linderhof also.

11. September 11th, 2012 at 9:20 am

@ Iya — While I think the InterContinental is a good base from which to explore the Koenigssee region and possibly the Salzburg area, Neuschwanstein is a long haul from the InterContinental, so you’re probably best off splitting your time a bit.

12. September 11th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Brian said,

I’m sold, I may have to make it there next year when I go to Oktoberfest.

13. September 12th, 2012 at 4:46 am

Iya said,

Thanks Lucky. Any hotels you would recommend? Also, stayed at Andaz 5th Ave last month…. Great hotel… thank you.