Yesterday while clearing security at Seattle Airport before my Lufthansa flight, I had a bit of an interesting run in with the TSA.

The priority security line wasn’t very long, though it seemed to take forever for the few people in front of me to get their stuff on the belt. As I slid my belongings onto the belt, the TSA agent singled me out and said “hey bro, you got all your liquids out?” Not sure if I looked like an especially inexperienced traveler or what, but I said “yep.”

He then continued with “what about powders? Have any powders, because they look the same in the x-ray as liquids?”

Now I was very tempted to respond “nope, no powders other than my kilo bag of cocaine,” but my better judgment got the best of me, and I just said “nope, no powders.”

He then continued “what about, like, protein powder?” I’m as built as Sheldon Cooper, what do you think?

1. November 9th, 2012 at 10:39 am

John said,

LOL

2. November 9th, 2012 at 10:46 am

stef said,

I think that Sheldon may actually have the better build … bazinga!

3. November 9th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Matt said,

Did you have a new haircut?

If so, the correct response is “Not now chief, I’m in the f*****’ zone.”

4. November 9th, 2012 at 10:56 am

Frequent Flyer University said,

What about hair gel? You need that for the Pauly D Blow Out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDma1E9GoM

5. November 9th, 2012 at 10:59 am

Craig said,

Careful with the roids Ben. Alex wouldn’t like the side effects

6. November 9th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Todd said,

This is TSA behavior profiling at work – the program is called SPOT “Screening Passengers by Observation Techniques”.

They engage random people in seemingly random conversation in an attempt to build a quick profile to determine your risk factor. Simple and can be very effective is done correctly.

7. November 9th, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Scottrick said,

At least he was friendly. Most SEA screeners are friendly, if a bit strange. You get used to the strange around here.

8. November 9th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Lively said,

Todd: Walmart greeters have more common sense than TSA when it comes to security.

9. November 9th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

BothofUs2 said,

I think the next questions were going to be ‘do you like movies about gladiators?’ and ‘have you ever been in a Turkish prison?’

10. November 9th, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Dax said,

Todd said, “Simple and can be very effective is done correctly.”

Source?

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything the slightest bit “simple” and/or “effective” when it comes to the TSA. What’s the difference between the TSA and the private security they replaced? A lot more rules, a lot less privacy, and a much bigger chip on their shoulder. That’s about it so far as I can tell.

11. November 9th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Chris S. said,

Aww, man. I used to like this blog before I realized you were a Big Bang Theory fan.

12. November 9th, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Alexandra said,

The last time I went through security in Seattle the BP/ID checker had never seen a passport and had to get a supervisor to tell her it was allowed as an ID.

13. November 9th, 2012 at 11:38 pm

caligal said,

I often travel with my 2 attractive daughters and it’s always interesting and at times funny to see how the security folks are tranfixed and distracted when they catch a glimpse of the girls. Alternatively, scary when an agent who was to be watching items move across the screen, never looked at the screen, instead stared at my daughter as many items passed on by.

14. November 10th, 2012 at 12:01 am

Jamison said,

@caligal and you’re proud of that as a mother?

15. November 10th, 2012 at 5:16 am

Jason said,

Cool story, bro!

16. November 10th, 2012 at 10:27 am

beltway said,

Henceforth to be known as Ben “Die Lage” Schlappig.

17. November 10th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Bryan said,

maybe you had too much chapstick and hair gel that they thought you were from jersey shore

18. November 11th, 2012 at 10:41 am

caligal said,

@jamison. oh you’re right my post sounds pathetic, rewind…clearly, never know what you’re going to get when entering security and engaging with various humans….at times very scary what they do and say! Concur with Dax.

19. November 18th, 2012 at 3:01 pm

John said,

Ben needs a bazinga t-shirt for Christmas.