Austrian has announced that Chicago will be their next North American destination, as they’ll be launching 5x weekly service as of May 17, 2013.

The flights will operate the following schedule:

Austrian 65 Vienna to Chicago departing at 10:25AM and arriving at 1:40PM
Austrian 66 Chicago to Vienna departing at 4:00PM and arriving at 8:40AM (+1 day)

The flight will be operated by a 767 configured with their new business class, which should be a phenomenal product. Austrian has always been known for excellent catering, so I’d say with the new seat it may just be the best transatlantic business class product.

While the flights have been loaded into the GDS I don’t yet see them in Starnet, so I’m not sure what award availability will be like. That being said Austrian has excellent award availability for next summer on the whole, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that also be the case on this route once the space is loaded.

1. November 10th, 2012 at 5:44 pm

webazoid said,

looks like u’ve been spotted in berlin lucky. lol.

2. November 10th, 2012 at 7:21 pm

ace said,

That’s effing hysterical!

3. November 10th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

gregorygrady said,

Absolutely classic YouTube video webazoid. Funniest Hitler spoof I’ve ever seen……by far!!! Well done!!!

4. November 10th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

webazoid said,

credit goes to amolkold from FT

5. November 11th, 2012 at 12:09 am

Amit k said,

Lucky

If I wanted to get to Male on a united busness award from IAH could I do this: IAH to Chicago to Vienna to Male. I know tyrlolean airlines goes to male twice weekly but I can’t find any biz class sears from Vienna or Istanbul to make in biz next may-July. Any suggestions? Thanks so much

6. November 11th, 2012 at 1:18 am

@ webazoid — ROFL!

@ Amit k — I don’t think the Austrian service operates that time of year, though I’m seeing some Turkish space. Have you checked space with them?

7. November 11th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

JM said,

Lucky – I have an award flight on Austrian from DC next summer. I would like to change it to Chicago once award space gets published. Will I be charged a fee to change my routing if my origin and destination remain the same?

8. November 11th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

craz said,

those new OS seats look exactly like LXs (both carriers are owned by LH)

I found LXs seats to be very narrow and hard. I would think OSs wont be any different thusly they will be better then LHs but Id take a UA PMCO 777 any day over LX or OS. Seatwise and IFE wise.

But the new seats are a great deal better then what OS has had till now, and UA doesnt fly NS to VIE. So it would mean flying wherever UA ha sits 777 PMCO flying into and connecting to VIE

I may do OS for the Inbound but for the better seat = sleep Id rather take UA with the PMCO 777

9. November 11th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

@ JM — With which airline did you book? If you booked with United you wouldn’t be charged a fee, while if you booked with Aeroplan or US Airways you would be charged a fee.

10. November 18th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Jacob said,

I can confirm I will be on the new Austrian service to Chicago in September of next year. Just booked flights. Award availibility wasn’t bad. I found 4 seats in business class

11. December 19th, 2012 at 10:23 am

JM said,

Lucky – I booked with United, so will change if I can. However, I’m flying on a Thursday and it appears that Austrian has blocked award seats (or at least award seats to United) on Tuesdays and Thursdays for some reason (I’m looking at July 2013). Do you know why that might be?

12. December 19th, 2012 at 10:24 am

JM said,

Nevermind – I figured it out. They don’t fly that route on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

13. January 16th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Austrian said,

Looks like one of the newspaper’s I read was not joking when they said that Austrian Airlines is going to launch the Vienna-Chicago by 2013. If this is true than that means Austrian will launch flights to Newark and Los Angeles in 2013 as well. :)