It’s well documented that fashion isn’t my strength… to put it lightly. So that’s why I found what happened this morning to be especially bizarre.

I was having breakfast in the club lounge at the InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong, and was going to the buffet to get some food. Suddenly I’m stopped by a guy sitting near the buffet – “excuse me,” he said.

I figured it was a blog reader. There are certain places I almost always run into a reader – the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in Frankfurt, the Thai First Class Lounge in Bangkok, and often even random hotel club lounges. But that wasn’t the case this time.

The guy says “I’m a fashion designer and I really like your sweater. Can I have it?” Huh?

I looked at him perplexed, and he continued with “I’ll buy it from you, just tell me what you want.” I wasn’t sure what to say, though responded with “I’m sorry but I’m not really looking to sell it.”

He then whipped out his camera and said “can I get a picture at least?” I agreed, so he took a picture of my sweater. He then said “the lighting wasn’t very good, can we go over to the window so I can take another picture?” I agreed, still running through my head all the possible angles on what he could be doing.

He then said “how about I buy it from you? How about 300 HKD?” That’s less than I paid for the sweater, and I explained again that I really wasn’t looking to sell it. I mentioned I bought it at Nordstrom, and he said “oh, I design stuff for them.” I then asked him if he just wanted to know the brand/type of sweater, but he responded with “I won’t be home for a few weeks so that won’t be of any use to me. I need the sweater now.” I asked him to let me think about it (think about devising a plan to get the hell outta there, that is), and continued with my breakfast.

As I finished my breakfast and got ready to leave I found that he had switched tables, and was now sitting immediately behind me. “How about 1,000 HKD?” I said “this is the only sweater I have with me on this trip.” He responded with “well you’re in Asia, it’s warm.” I said “yes, but I’m flying back to the US.” He continued with “well I have lots of sweaters in my room, you can pick one out and take it with you.” I sure as hell wasn’t about to go to his room.

I paused, and then he suggested that I at least go to the lobby with him so he could make a color photo copy of my sweater. How the hell do you make a photo copy of a sweater?!

Anyway, it seemed like there was no way out, so I agreed to 1,000 HKD in exchange for my sweater.

Below is a picture, so you guys let me know if he was being a total creep and had some weird fetish I don’t even want to think about, or if he was just a really, really pushy designer?

I guess in the end I made some money on an old sweater, so it’s not all bad, right? Could this be a new way to fund my trips? Buy the latest fashions and turn them for a profit in club lounges? ;)

1. November 13th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Matthew said,

This is why I stay at the Peninsula in HK!

2. November 13th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Jon P said,

Wow, this is so random. Glad you made some money at least!

3. November 13th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

marZ said,

Total creeper. He’s going to be cuddling up with that thing and remembering your smell for years to come!

4. November 13th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Todd said,

I guess you could have asked him for a business card, but in general, that was kinda creepy.

5. November 13th, 2012 at 1:23 pm

JettyBoy said,

Maybe he was after your DNA.

6. November 13th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Dan said,

Looks like it’s a Vince sweater?

7. November 13th, 2012 at 4:49 pm

BBD said,

He had a “tacky sweater” party to attend that evening.

8. November 13th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

AnnieLovesParis said,

I’m inclined to agree with Marz but it is a fairly fashionable sweater, with the front kangaroo thing going on, so maybe it was legit. Why does he have so many sweaters in his room? I wish a designer would weigh in to see if this is typical behavior.

9. November 13th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

30HK said,

May be that’s Frank :-P

10. November 13th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

JohnBom said,

Did you make sure the currency wasn’t counterfeit?

11. November 13th, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Ann said,

I suppose I’ll be seeing knockoff sweaters like that all over the next time I’m in a Chinatown…

12. November 13th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

JetAway said,

I think this was all about going to his room to “pick out a new sweater.”

13. November 13th, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Theo said,

Lucky,

Do you happen to have a reader get-together in HK?

I am a loyal reader of your blog and happen to be in HK today and tomorrow.

Best,

14. November 13th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Brian said,

I agree with Jetaway- I think he was hoping to get you back to his room and help you take off your sweater. This is so bizarre, you couldn’t make it up. Stranger danger- don’t accept rides or take candy from strangers.

15. November 13th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Zaza Zu said,

From a gay perspective: He’s hitting on you and hoping that he could allure you to his room and seduce you.

16. November 13th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Phil S said,

Fetish indeed! My stars!

Change of topic – have you seen Delta’s new website that they surprised us with over the weekend?

17. November 13th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Ace said,

I’d have pulled out my iPhone and started playing that Weezer song “If you want to destroy my sweater…” and then walked out!

18. November 13th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Pablo said,

Wow…I agree with @JetAway, he perhaps wants you more than your sweater….

19. November 13th, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Pablo said,

Wait…It’s he an asian guy? From Hongkong?

20. November 13th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Despina said,

I have to agree with @marZ. Very odd. No offense Ben, but that sweater isn’t worth $129.

Hope you are having a great trip though.

21. November 13th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Cheryl said,

22. November 13th, 2012 at 5:07 pm

WhatWdJamesDo said,

Nice sweater!

23. November 13th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Andrew said,

If you made a profit, it was worth your time!

24. November 13th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Toby said,

I quite like that sweater actually! What brand is it?

25. November 13th, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Jorge said,

Sounds like he is enjoying that sweater and your smell. LOL !

26. November 13th, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Tom said,

I am leaning towards him wanting you in his room…

27. November 13th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

ClearedCustoms said,

It would have been a better story if you had gone to his room.

28. November 13th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

B said,

Perhaps buy your sweater for 1000HKD.. and “copy” it and mass produce to sell each piece for 500HKD each…or.. just agree with @Jetaway’s theory

29. November 13th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Thomas said,

lots of counterfeit money in Asia, I’d take it to the bank to make sure.

30. November 13th, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Jason said,

Creep alert, Level 9.
    Good thing you didn’t follow him to his room.

31. November 13th, 2012 at 5:27 pm

RakSiam said,

You have the most bizarre things happen to you.

Did you confirm that the money was real?

32. November 13th, 2012 at 5:30 pm

caligal said,

nice paring, sharp sweater with peekaboo blue tshirt

33. November 13th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

JoC said,

Is the money counterfeit?

Did you scratch certain part of the dollar bill?

34. November 13th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Kevin said,

Great sweater, bro… Great sweater….

35. November 13th, 2012 at 5:56 pm

cyby said,

Ok. That was way creepier than I first imagined it to be. I’d be very suspicious of anyone doing that *anywhere*, not just in a large city. Nonetheless, I hope you profited from this transaction.

Doubt the bill is fake. Counterfeits aren’t horribly prevalent in HK.

But I do quite like the sweater….

36. November 13th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Dan said,

LOL… I just forwarded your post to my personal shopper at Nordstrom with the message, “I want this sweater!” :-)

37. November 13th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

koolr said,

Well, HKG is the place they make most of the fake designers items (you can find those online). He probably is in that business and had sharp eyes and spotted your sweater as something they would like to make fake ones. It was probably cheaper for him to buy from you than finding, and then ordering from USA.

38. November 13th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

gardengirl said,

Are you still at the same hotel? Any chance you see him again? Then go up to him and say something like “Hi. I’ve just got to ask about that sweater thing this morning. Can you fill me in with the details? Since it’s already in production through Nordstrom and you could probably see details online, what was so urgent about buying it?”

I agree, odd moments like this leave you flustered and confused.

If you don’t ever see him again take this as a lesson to think next time when caught off guard in a strange situation. If possible take control of your response by asking for time to think (which you did) and then if you want to know more, be kindly blunt and ask for more details. Put the burden back on the person approaching you. i.e., “I’m sure you’ll agree, what you’re asking is rather odd. Can you tell me more why it’s so important to buy this sweater at this time?” If the person approaching you can’t or won’t give you more info then the case is closed.

39. November 13th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Gobluetwo said,

Oh man, what was the name of your blog-stalker again? I bet a counterfeit 1000HKD it was him!

40. November 13th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Tao said,

I bet this dude’s gonna “run into” you again sometime very soon. LOL

41. November 13th, 2012 at 6:15 pm

@ JohnBom — I haven’t, guess I should check. Somehow I have a hard time believing someone in a reasonably nice hotel club lounge is trying to buy clothes with counterfeit money. Seems more likely to just be someone really, really creepy.

@ Theo — Sadly I was just there for a quick overnight. I’m already back home now. Hope to meet you somewhere else along the way sometime!

@ Phil S — I have briefly. Lipstick?

42. November 13th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

@ Pablo — Nope, white guy from Canada.

@ Toby — Let me check. Oh, wait. ;)

@ gardengirl — Already back home, but agree with you.

43. November 13th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Mike said,

One of the best blog posts…hilatious

44. November 13th, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Xavier said,

He is totally hitting on you! lol

45. November 13th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Kevin P said,

He definitely wanted to diddle you. Not surprising in Asia.

46. November 13th, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Jialing said,

Hey Lucky, so in my line of work as the wife of a clothing manufacturer/designer, this actually isn’t too bizarre! My husband has stalked people at stores if he likes what they’re wearing to get a better look, and he constantly asks people where they bought an item or what brand it is. He has actually taken a shirt from a few people (thankfully not strangers, just his friends) in exchange for a new shirt from his company. He literally came home one time with a dirty shirt off a friend’s back from a trade show. It’s just that you never know where you might find inspiration, and if you love it you really can’t let you go! That designer could make 10X, 50X or more of what he paid for your sweater if the buyers at a place like Nordstrom like it. Obviously he can’t make the exact same sweater, he would have to tweak it. Conclusion- you should have asked for more $$ and at least 2 sweaters from his selection, I bet they were just samples.

47. November 13th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Zz said,

I am surprized you settled for money rather than just asking him if he had some points to transfer to you.

48. November 13th, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Santastico said,

That looks like the GAP sweater I got on sale for $9.99. :) I will sell it for HKK1,000.

49. November 13th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Al said,

It was me, thank you for selling it to me.

50. November 13th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Al said,

kidding of course, but i love the smell!

51. November 13th, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Pablo said,

Wow…We have the real person in story here? @Al

52. November 13th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

webazoid said,

$130 for a sweater? that’s a better deal than ink and vanilla.

53. November 13th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

cleenr said,

Hi Lucky – long time reader, 1st time commenter. :)

I’m actually a fashion designer myself for a big company, and this sounds totally legit to me (Albeit he did sound a bit pushy). He was probably is Asia visiting factories and trend shopping the market. It’s always best to have the actual inspiration sample to take to a factory so they can try and copy/achieve whatever it is he liked- pictures are hard to work off of sometimes! …and YES you can photocopy garments. It can bring out a more detailed image. I can’t tell you how much of my day is spent fighting with a xerox printer….

With all that said- he sounds like the real deal, and not some creepy scam artist.

I think you made the best choice by taking the money, but agree with Jialing above that you should have asked for even more, and taken some of his sweaters too!! :)

54. November 13th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

beachfan said,

My three cents:

1) I saw In the old days, my comment would have been “I bet there is no film in that camera”. Too many true stories with that as the end note.

2) There is always a way out. Practice saying “No thank-you. Please leave me alone” to your family. If you can say it to your mother, you’ll be able to say it to creeps easily.

3) You left money on the table. Your underwear would have went for 10,000 HKD.

55. November 13th, 2012 at 8:04 pm

JP2 said,

Totally creepy. I guess you should be glad he doesn’t design underwear for a living or something.

56. November 13th, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Benny said,

Was curious to know what this sweater looked like so glad you shared a photo!

What’s next? Someone buying the jeans you’re wearing?

57. November 13th, 2012 at 8:28 pm

puck said,

Should have asked for a business card. If he was legit, he would have one.

58. November 13th, 2012 at 8:36 pm

snic said,

Why are “creep” and “fashion designer” necessarily mutually exclusive? It could have been a creepy fashion designer who wanted to seduce Ben AND copy his sweater to sell back to Nordstrom! Two birds with one stone!

59. November 13th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Joshua Pickles said,

@snic

Please leave “bird killing” out of this!

@lucky

I would of held out for more money

60. November 13th, 2012 at 8:44 pm

PatMike said,

Saw the sweater at the Chicago Seminars. Good choice to take the 1000 HKD…

61. November 13th, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Frequent Miler said,

Ah, that explains the new eBay store “Worn by Lucky”….

62. November 13th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

puck said,

Same sweater/t-shirt combo in photo with Scott from milevalue.com

63. November 13th, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Michael T said,

I would have said, I’ll trade it for your pants.

64. November 13th, 2012 at 10:10 pm

hobo13 said,

@Puck — that is HILARIOUS. Though it could be a little creepy that YOU remember what Ben was wearing.

OTOH, I might give 1000 HK to never see that goofy red t-shirt again…..

65. November 13th, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Phing Phing said,

It’s an interesting post. I think you’re lucky to make money out of the sales. Just spend the money and stop imagine what the buyer is going to do with that sweater ;)

66. November 13th, 2012 at 11:14 pm

John said,

Well my style sucks, but I dig the sweater.

I’ll give you 1500hkd.

67. November 13th, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Duncan said,

ROFL Frank!

Designers do this all the time especially fashion. They target certain hotels during fashion week, first class lounge we have seen this. Gift/Homewares can turn around an item in days and be in opposition to your product in 7 days and oh it’s cheaper. Don’t see it as much due to idiot websites like Pintrest. I know of one SE Asia markey where they advertise “as seen on Etsy” etc..

Best post in a long time!!! and your readers think so as well.

Take care.

68. November 13th, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Gerard said,

This is turning into an interesting trip…. From ping pong to sweaters, what’s next :-).

69. November 13th, 2012 at 11:59 pm

puck said,

@hobo13 Actually did not remember what Ben or anyone else for that matter was wearing in Chicago. Comment #60 from @PatMike mentioned he wore the sweater in Chicago which reminded me milevalue had a post with pictures of himself with lots of bloggers from the Chicago seminar. When I checked it out, the sweater was a match.

70. November 14th, 2012 at 1:40 am

Andre said,

The guy was probably just a buyer and wanted to show his vendor the style he’s looking for.

Not really sure why everyone jumps to “fakes”. It’s a nice sweater, but it’s not the first time that style was made.

71. November 14th, 2012 at 1:47 am

asfasdfa said,

you could have gotten 2000 easy :(

72. November 14th, 2012 at 2:32 am

Aaron said,

Not to sound too disrespectful, but it’s not a very… unique sweater is it. I suspect he had ulterior motives – why do you seem to attract these people?!

73. November 14th, 2012 at 3:26 am

Knightrises said,

I actually had this happened to me a high end hotel in South America. When I was checking in, the guy said, “I like your jeans, can I buy them from you”? I said they were one of my favorite pairs, but decided to sell at $40 profit. He also upgraded me to a Junior Suite for the week I stayed there!

74. November 14th, 2012 at 5:57 am

beltway said,

Ben, what is it about you & Asia that makes these things happen? To wit: I remind my fellow readers of the Kuala Lumpur scammer story, http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2011/05/18/kuala-lumpur-day-one/

75. November 14th, 2012 at 7:51 am

spellinbee said,

Probably a fake 1000 bill!

76. November 14th, 2012 at 7:59 am

Brian said,

Is that the same sweater you were wearing at the SFO dinner? Gosh, it’s probably a good idea to mix your wardrobe up a bit.

77. November 14th, 2012 at 8:03 am

ML said,

Very interesting experience.. thanks for sharing. Random lucky deal for Lucky!!

78. November 14th, 2012 at 8:26 am

peachfront said,

It’s a pickup line but usually I was asked for my shoes, admittedly some of my shoes back in the day were pretty out there…I have to admit, that there are actually people in this thread who think the pushy horndog was a designer, makes me smile.

79. November 14th, 2012 at 8:51 am

Naif said,

you should have gone to his room to check out if he actually had the variety of sweaters he was talking about :P

80. November 14th, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Bryan said,

I bet that dude was totally hitting on you and wanted to get you into his room.

But cool sweater, I love how everyone is saying they’ve seen you with that sweater before.

81. November 14th, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Paul said,

Just watch CSI a few times and you’ll never leave anything behind! That sweater is going to be wrapped around a dead hooker and you are the MAIN SUSPECT!!!!

82. November 16th, 2012 at 3:41 am

AK said,

LOL at this and what showed up in the WSJ just a few days later — http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324556304578118891337284014.html

83. November 16th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Sunny said,

Perhaps he was on a Project Runway type show… there was an episode of PR where the designers needed to buy clothes off people in Central Park and turn them into a new design!

84. November 22nd, 2012 at 12:37 pm

levy Flight said,

Good job you weren’t wearing designer jeans

85. November 28th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Frequent Flyer University said,

Seems like a good deal for you

86. November 29th, 2012 at 1:10 am

Rpm said,

How did he share the photo with you? Did he send it to your email or worse gave you his sd card?

87. November 29th, 2012 at 7:19 am

@ Rpm — Hah, I actually snapped that picture before handing over the sweater.

88. August 9th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Adam S said,

@ Pablo – good lord it’s just a white guy! not a creepy Asian from HK.

@ lucky – I would not be surprised if lots of your readers were initially attracted to this blog by your Twitter picture… Take it as a compliment!

89. September 24th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Jim said,

I would have sold it no questions asked for $1k HKD. ;)

90. January 29th, 2014 at 8:13 am

Hong Kong Airline News said,

Just so you know, Hong Kong is no longer accepting $1000 bills.