This FlyerTalk thread points to a post in the Marriott Rewards Insiders forum, which contains this post by an official Marriott representative:

Lifetime ‘criteria’ has never been formally published, so any criteria currently in discussion is officially Urban Legend.  And yes – I stated that the criteria for a minimum number of years will be going away, and the only two elements that will be needed to achieve Lifetime status will be nights and points.

After much begging she followed up with this post:

Greetings, All!  OK – I’m about to spill ONE new component of the Lifetime criteria change.  Just one.  There will be other changes as well, but I will not comment on them.  And please note that there is nowhere (e.g., website) to go for further information.  As a matter fact, this will not be released until January, so it’s a total scoop for our Insider pals!  Before the beans are spilled, let me help Gem off her pin cushion — no, we would never take back something a member has already earned.

OK – who’s got the drum roll? The current criteria of a minimum number of years at a specific level will be going away.  Said another way, nights and points will be the required milestones.  Nope – I won’t tell you how many…you’ll have to wait.

Marriott’s current lifetime status requirements are as follows:

Lifetime Silver:

• 600 nights at Marriott properties
  • 1,200,000 Marriott Rewards points earned
  • 12 years as a member and at least one year as a Silver member

Lifetime Gold:

• 800 nights at Marriott properties
  • 1,600,000 Marriott Rewards points earned
  • 12 years as a member and at least one year as a Gold member

Lifetime Platinum:

• 1,000 nights at Marriott properties
  • 2,000,000 Marriott Rewards points earned
  • 12 years as a member and at least one year as a Platinum member

So it seems that the requirements to be a member for 12 years and having status for at least one of them will go away next year. However, I’d bet the number of required nights and/or points earned will increase. I always think it’s cruel to change the requirements for lifetime status in any negative way without years of advance notice, since it’s such a long term goal people have that they’re greatly invested in. For example, if you’ve been a Platinum member for 11 years, have stayed 1,000 nights at Marriott properties, and have earned 3,000,000 points you’re just waiting for that 12 year mark. Is it fair if they say tomorrow that you’ll now need 1,500 nights and 4,000,000 points, for example?

I’ll post as soon as I hear more!

1. November 21st, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Ana said,

Lol I might get lifetime when I’m 80 as right now I’m only getting to about 10+ plus per year. Maybe if I get a job that makes me travel a lot and choose the hotel chain I likeI can make it earlier haha

2. November 21st, 2012 at 1:56 pm

greek2me said,

And to think I am only 581 nights short of lifetime silver now. Maybe I should do a ton of mattress runs before January?

3. November 21st, 2012 at 2:13 pm

GenevaFlyer said,

Couple of comments:

- “The current criteria of a minimum number of years at a specific level will be going away” – current requirement is 1 year at a specific level, so only a slight change.

- The second quote doesn’t actually mention the 12 year membership rule … I do interpret the text as meaning that this requirement will be gone too, but it’s not necessarily crystal clear

- Speculation on the number of points/nights required is just speculation. It’s only very recently that Marriott brought down the points requirement for lifetime membership, so assuming it will go up again is moot until they publish something in January

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

4. November 21st, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Miguel said,

@greek2m2: just book an entire hotel for the rest of the year and you should be ok! :D

5. November 21st, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Elliot said,

I have been silver for years! since i have owned a marriott Timeshare since 1999 and i believe i have acculated over 1.2M points as i still have almost 700K so i may just recieve that lfeime status, can you even if you dont stay in Marriotts that often?

6. November 21st, 2012 at 5:53 pm

@ Elliot — It sounds like you’d need a lot more nights to qualify for lifetime status (though you have plenty of points).

7. November 21st, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Nick said,

the issue is that rollover nights count double, so high night stayers can qualify quite easily, someone staying 200 nights a year would get 325 nights towards lifetime.

8. November 21st, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Joediver said,

I’ve been Lifetime Platinum for about 5 years now. I just wish there would be more benefits that go along with the status

9. November 28th, 2012 at 8:27 pm

CPRich said,

“So it seems that the requirements to be a member for 12 years and having status for at least one of them will go away next year.”

Only the 12 year requirement is being discontinued, IMHO. In fact, in a follow up, the topic of needed to have earned status at a level at least once is covered.

” an example of what we would not do: If a member has attained Silver status and met the points/nights requirements, we would not give them Gold or Platinum”

10. December 19th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

KMEF said,

How do I find out how many lifetime points I have?