Just a few days ago I decided to book a US Airways 90,000 mile business class award to North Asia on a whim. When you’re traveling in the peak of summer award space is often best last minute, and since I have a fairly flexible schedule I figured it would be a good opportunity to visit some new places in Europe and also try EVA’s new business class since they just joined Star Alliance, given that they just joined the Star Alliance.

Beyond that, US Airways 90,000 mile business class awards to North Asia are such an outrageously good value that I try to take advantage of them whenever I can, since it’s an award that’s just waiting to be devalued. I wrote a post back in January sharing how to go about booking one of these awards, which I hope was helpful to some of you.

I did a similar 90,000 mile business class award to Asia in January, and was able to fly Brussels, Austrian, Turkish, and LOT all on a single trip.

Anyway, along those lines, one of the questions I’m most frequently asked on the blog and via email is whether a given routing is valid on a US Airways award. My answer is almost always one of the following:

• Yes, that should be valid
  • Yes, that should be valid, though you may have to call a few times
  • No, that’s probably not valid, but if you call often enough you may be able to book it

And the truth is that even though I’ve booked hundreds of US Airways awards, I don’t really know what the rules are either. That’s because US Airways doesn’t actually publish routing rules on awards, and their computer doesn’t have to validate routings, so what’s legal is entirely dependent on the agent you get. The only “strict” rules, in theory, are as follows:

• You’re allowed no more than five segments (four transfers) in each direction of travel
  • You’re allowed a single stopover OR open jaw on an award ticket between regions
  • If you have a stopover, it has to be at a Star Alliance hub or US Airways transatlantic gateway city

But even those aren’t strict rules, because there’s nothing in their computer system that prevents any of the other rules from being broken.

I wrote a bit more about the psychology behind routing rules on US Airways awards in this post, so hopefully that provides a bit more background on that.

So last Wednesday afternoon I found a routing I wanted to book, for an itinerary that would depart the following day, so I didn’t have much time to book it. Ideally I was hoping to make Taipei my final destination (which is in North Asia), and have a stopover in Europe. Initially my plan was to just have my stopover be in Vienna, and then use British Airways Avios for intra-Europe travel on Niki, which wouldn’t be too expensive. But then I mapped out all my travel and realized I’d really if possible like to fly into Nice and out of Zurich on the award, making it an open jaw. This reduced the number of intra-Europe flights I’d have to book separately.

There’s no doubt that put the itinerary into a bit of a grey area. Nice isn’t technically a transatlantic gateway city though Zurich is. Along the same lines, with most airlines the open jaw has to be at your turnaround point. My final destination is Taipei, and that’s to say that my open jaw would have to be between Taipei and another city, or between my origin city and another city. It typically can’t be mid-journey. But US Airways doesn’t explicitly publish that, and there are many agents that interpret the rules as meaning that you can have an open jaw in Europe while enroute to Asia.

So I called up US Airways and tried to put my desired itinerary on hold. The agent was extremely friendly and competent, gladly let me “feed” him all the flights, and when we were done he put me on hold to verify the routing was legal. After a 10 minute hold he came back and told me that I couldn’t have an open jaw between Nice and Zurich. He explained that this would be both an open jaw and a stopover, but said that if I was flying into Nice and then less than 24 hours later flying out of Zurich it would be allowed. That’s kind of funny, because even his interpretation of the rules wouldn’t make sense. So I didn’t argue one bit (after all, I didn’t want him to notate the record), thanked him for the explanation, and had him hold the itinerary flying both into and out of Zurich, which is a legal stopover at a Star Alliance hub.

So I called back and asked the agent whether it would be possible to switch one of the outbound segments to fly into Nice and out of Zurich. She said that would be absolutely fine, and then when we went to ticket she explained the itinerary would cost 100,000 miles. The funny thing is that a business class award ticket to North Asia costs 90,000 miles while a business class award ticket to Europe costs 100,000 miles, so her interpretation was that I’d be charged the rate for the most expensive region I’m transiting. I thanked her for the information, had her save the segment flying into Nice and out of Zurich, and said I needed to purchase the remaining 10,000 miles and would then call back.

I decided to try my luck one more time, and the agent was also fine with the open jaw into Nice and out of Zurich, though also quoted me a total of 100,000 miles.

At this point I gave the itinerary some thought to decide whether I wanted to change my itinerary to go straight to Asia for 90,000 miles, whether I wanted to cancel the hold and start from scratch, or whether I wanted to purchase an extra 10,000 miles in this particular account so they’d let me book the itinerary as is, given that it was departing the following day. I decided I’d call back and if the agent wanted to charge me 100,000 miles I’d buy the miles while we were on the phone.

I got a lovely agent that just had no clue where any of the cities I was traveling to were, and read back the itinerary including my flight on “Asiana” (Austrian’s code is “OS”) from Vienna to London, and on Brussels (EVA’s code is “BR”) from Taipei to Los Angeles. We joked and I couldn’t help but comment “my gosh, these airlines are so weird and they fly such random routes. Who would’ve thought Brussels flies between Taipei and Los Angeles?” She commented “I know, it’s so confusing, isn’t it?”

At this point I said “I just get so confused by all these cities. Do you happen to know if Taipei is in North Asia or South Asia? I’m trying to figure out how many miles I’ll need for this trip.” She said “you know, that’s just such a great question, let me see.” She put me on hold for a moment and came back and said “it looks like it’s in North Asia, so the itinerary would be 90,000 miles in business class.” I responded with “oh, okay, that’s great.” After a moment she said “hmm, but there are already three fare quotes in this itinerary and they’re all different. Let me just check with my supervisor to see how many miles this itinerary would be. I don’t want to lose my job.”

After a five minute hold she came back and said “your final destination is North Asia so this will cost 90,000 miles in business class. It doesn’t matter where you’re connecting. My supervisor agreed with me.”

The point of this post…

This post isn’t intended to be a “look at what I got away with” post. Because I’m not actually convinced I got away with anything I wasn’t supposed to be able to get away with. My interpretation of the rules is that you’re charged based on your final destination and not based on which region you transit. Most US Airways agents have the same interpretation. Others think you’re charged based on the most expensive zone you transit. As far as the open jaw goes, all four agents read back the itinerary, and only one of the four had any issue with the open jaw.

My point is this — the rules with US Airways aren’t black and white. I’ve booked hundreds of US Airways awards and still don’t actually know what the “rules” are. And neither do the agents, so what you can book is entirely dependent on the agent you get. When a US Airways agents has a different interpretation of the “rules” than you do, there’s no point in arguing with them. You’ll never win. But you have the ability to hang up and call again working in your favor.

1. June 30th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Explore said,

Enjoy the system while you can. I assume the merged airline will use American’s systems and stricter rules.

Wish I too had a more flexible schedule and 3 months of vacation (or retirement) to take advantage of this stuff.

2. June 30th, 2013 at 10:22 am

Buddy Myers said,

About USAirways rules, do you think they would allow from HNL-MLE and then return MLE-PHX or would it have to be PHX-MLE both ways. The mileage requirements are both the same on USAirways partner’s chart. If not, how about a stopover in HNL on the outbound. I see flight availability on United’s website for the dates I would want.

3. June 30th, 2013 at 11:13 am

Jeremy said,

Would it be 100,000 miles to get to Vietnam then? Looking to arrive in HAN and depart SGN. I would think I could do ORD-DTW-FRA-CDG-BKK-HAN on the way there since it has four transfer points.

4. June 30th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

@ Buddy Myers — An open jaw out of Honolulu and returning to Phoenix should be fine.

5. June 30th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

@ Jeremy — Vietnam is South Asia, so out of North America costs 120,000 miles in business class. There’s a fun little trick to lower the cost of that, discussed here:

6. June 30th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Nybanker said,

Great post. They are clueless.

7. June 30th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Peter said,

Now that we got that settled, when is the next trip report starting? ;-)

8. June 30th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

abcx said,

This is a complete BS post and you know it. It is about what you can get away with on US and not what is allowed. Take liberties (we all do), but don’t try to justify it. For one, the rules say stopovers are only allowed on the most direct route of travel. Depending on which coast you were flying from, you were either 2k or 3k miles over the direct TPAC or polar routes. In other words, not a direct route.

All tickets typically have HIP checks – award or not. US is just too dumb to code them in, and their agents are unassuming, friendly types. Good luck trying this shit with UA/CO. Or if US’ agents get outsourced to by-the-book types.

It’s just sleazy to behave in what you know is an improper manner (save me the rationalization that oh, the supervisor said it’s ok) and then push everyone else to do the same. And then you’ll act surprised when the rules get tightened up…

9. June 30th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

@ Peter — Hah, internet has been so slow that I haven’t been able to upload pictures.

10. June 30th, 2013 at 2:48 pm

@ abcx — Stopovers are only allowed on the most direct routing? So if flying between San Francisco and Frankfurt (which has nonstop service) does that mean you can’t route via London and have a stopover there? It isn’t the most direct routing…

11. June 30th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

arthur said,

Whats up with @abcx?

12. June 30th, 2013 at 4:37 pm

arthur said,

I’ve had FANTASTIC trips thanks to @Lucky. The information has been amazing.

13. June 30th, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Jorge said,

Ben, how can you come back to LAX (Taipei–>LAX)? Wouldnt that make this ticket an around the world ticket? I thought you had to go back in the direction you came from ( ASIA–> Europe –>US)?

Feedback please.

14. June 30th, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Ismael said,

Lucky, what’s the best way to collect US miles. I got the credit card, the other 15000 bonus after couple of months, bought miles with 100% bonus. How else can we get these miles? Planning a 90k business trip in about a month, but would love to book another one before the merger. Thanks in advance.

15. June 30th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

JRL said,

@ abcx — Don’t forget to remind the teacher to assign homework. I’d love to watch you file your taxes you zero.

JRL

16. June 30th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Dennis said,

Fantastic article, love your explanation and detail. Keep up the great work and a big thank you for educating myself and my wife on our options!

17. June 30th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

AH said,

Lucky, is it 90K on business even from NYC – EUR – BOM – North ASIA – NYC?

18. June 30th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

nelton said,

reading these kind of post always brings me a laugh

19. July 1st, 2013 at 12:17 am

@ AH — Well if you have intentions to stop over in Mumbai that shouldn’t be allowed since it’s not a Star Alliance hub. But as is always the case with US Airways, “your mileage may vary.”

20. July 1st, 2013 at 12:19 am

@ Jorge — Nope, I’ve never had an issue routing in different directions. Should be allowed to go via the Atlantic in one direction and the Pacific in the other direction.

21. July 1st, 2013 at 12:21 am

@ Ismael — Generally best way is to take advantage of one of their buy/share miles promotion. The miles aren’t “free,” but still a very good value on a 90K mile award.

22. July 1st, 2013 at 12:36 am

dan said,

Hi Ben

Quick question, if I am trying to do an award trip from LA-Lisbon-Tokyo and they refer to the rate desk, will they show Lisbon as the destination since it is the farthest away in terms of distance and try to charge 100k miles?

23. July 1st, 2013 at 12:40 am

@ dan — In my experience Asia would still be the destination.

24. July 1st, 2013 at 8:34 am

Mark said,

This brings up a couple questions. We have been considering a trip to see friends in Liberia (ROB) and were hoping to see friends on Paris and northern England on the same trip (leaving from LAX). Am I reading it right that we would not be able to have a London stopover one way and Paris the other? On another note how about Malaysia via London?

25. July 1st, 2013 at 8:49 am

@ Mark — Correct, you’re allowed one stopover in addition to the destination, so that can be either on the outbound or return, though not both. You would indeed have a stopover in London enroute to Malaysia.

26. July 1st, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Robert Hanson said,

Following the advice in your Jan 10th post to use the ANA tool to search for award availability, I first found I had to register with ANA. Having done that, I got the following message:

“We cannot accept your request for booking Partner Flight Awards since there are not enough miles in your account” :(

27. July 1st, 2013 at 2:32 pm

@ Robert Hanson — I shared a workaround to that in the bottom of this post:

28. July 1st, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Robert Hanson said,

Thanks for the link. 6/10 was before my time here, which is quite sad in so many different ways. :(

29. July 1st, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Kevin Harris (@Harris_Kevin) said,

I recently booked a first class award with their miles from JFK – SYD through Europe AND Asia with 2 stopovers along the way! Success I believe

30. July 1st, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Cp12 said,

I don’t understand posts like this. If US made an exception for you, be thankful and keep it to yourself. Otherwise it will be abused and US will clamp down. Then when someone has a request for a legitimate exception it won’t happen.. I hope it rains ever day on your trip.

31. July 1st, 2013 at 11:21 pm

@ Cp12 — Except they didn’t really make an “exception,” that’s the point of this post.

32. August 13th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

My First US Airways Redemption | Chasing The Points said,

[...] into the US Airways agent. As has been documented by various bloggers, View From The Wing and One Mile At A Time, about hanging up and calling again, I was prepared. Side note on when not to hang up and call [...]

33. September 12th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

18 hours stop
    SIN- CPH. Singapore 777 flat bed
    CPH – VIE. Austrian
    22 hours stop
    VIE- IAD Austrian flat bed
    IAD- DFW. United F/C

I think i need to find new hobby/obsession! Perhaps starting a 'Points Anonymous' chapter in Dallas?

34. October 12th, 2013 at 8:24 am

Business Class US to Asia for $567 on US Airways & Star Alliance (worth $7000+) [expires 10/15/13] | the Reward Boss said,

[…] works.  According to Viewfromthewing’s post here and Onemileatatime’s posts here and here, using US Airways miles for a Business Class round trip flight from the US to North Asia (Hong […]

35. October 16th, 2013 at 11:31 am

Around the World in Biz for $1,340 - FlyerTalk Forums said,

[…] Help Thread [MERGED] Is your suggestion that FlyerTalk should be shut down as well? Also, bloggers have been talking about this for years. You don't really need to hyperventilate over another blog […]

36. December 11th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

FAN said,

Lucky,

I want to book an award from
    Bos-PVG;
    SHA-SZX(Stop over);
    HKG-BOS.

I believe PVG/SHA should be considered as co terminal, but not sure SZX/HKG (even though they are only 24 miles apart). Do you think US airways will allow me to get this ticket issued? TIA!

37. December 11th, 2013 at 7:26 pm

@ FAN — No, HKG/SZX aren’t considered co-terminal, though maybe you’ll find an agent that’s willing to think that, though. Wouldn’t rule it out.

38. January 9th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

My First US Airways Redemption – Chasing The Points said,

[…] into the US Airways agent. As has been documented by various bloggers, View From The Wing and One Mile At A Time, about hanging up and calling again, I was prepared. Side note on when not to hang up and call […]