Back in March I wrote about Priority Club rebranding their loyalty program as IHG Rewards Club. I couldn’t care less about the rebranding as such, though I was happy to see it came with some new benefits as well. The most significant new benefit is complimentary internet, which kicks in today for Priority Club elite members, and should kick in at some point in 2014 for all members.

IHG_Rewards_Club

As a reminder, the new benefits of IHG Rewards Club are as follows:

• Complimentary internet for Gold and Platinum members effective immediately, and for all members starting at some point in 2014 (while that sounds nice in theory, I can only imagine what internet speeds will be like next year).
  • Rewards nights now count towards elite status.
  • If you stay more than 50 nights per year, your elite qualifying nights over 50 will be rolled over to the following year. That sounds nice in theory, though if you’re in the US you keep Platinum status for as long as you have Priority Club’s co-branded credit card, so there really isn’t any point in putting effort into earning status with Priority Club.
  • You can get a fast track to Gold status by staying 10 nights across three brands, or a fast track to Platinum status by staying 40 nights across four brands (three in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Oceania). Those are rather high thresholds to be considered “fast tracks,” in my opinion.

You can find a more detailed explanation of all the benefits here. Anyway, there’s no doubt all these changes are positive, though it’s certainly not going to get me to switch any of my hotel stays. One wish I still have is that they’d honor elite benefits on award stays in addition to counting them towards elite status.

1. July 1st, 2013 at 3:34 pm

ArizonaGuy said,

Anyone know if Venetian / Palazzo are good with free internet?

2. July 1st, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Travel Is Free said,

I’ll take positive changes. ;-)

You say “three in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Oceania” but that makes it sound like you have to visit every region with a stay, instead of it being a requirement for residents in in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Oceania. FYI.

3. July 1st, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Aeroman380 said,

I stayed at IC Times Sqaure last week and they gave me free internet on my own devices, as many as I have, though not on the computer in the room. Maybe it’s been going on for a while now.

4. July 1st, 2013 at 6:09 pm

DWT said,

Well, Venetian and Palazzo have the mandatory resort fees, so internet is “included” for all guests.

5. July 2nd, 2013 at 1:36 am

Al said,

Elite statuses with IHG come with hardly any benefits and are not really worth pursuing. The same goes for Wyndham, Choice, Best Western.

6. July 2nd, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Robert Hanson said,

@AL Probably usually true about IHG. But I did get upgraded from a basic $330 a night room to a $550 a night suite last summer at a Crowne Plaza in Belgium. On an award stay, and without even asking. The first thing the check in agent said, after “welcome”, was “you have been upgraded”. Sweet “D

And of course, you are Lifetime Plat as long as you keep the IHG card, which gets you a free night at virtually any IHG property worldwide for the measly annual fee of $49. The certificate is good for an entire year after being issued. Best deal I know of, bar none.