There’s some pretty exciting news for JetBlue flyers that frequently travel out of JFK. Today, Friday, July 19, the first lounge will open at JFK terminal five, which will be operated by Airspace Lounge.

It will be open daily from 5AM till 11PM, and can be accessed the following ways:

• American Express Platinum card members and two guests or immediate family can access the lounge
  • Aer Lingus premium passengers can access the lounge
  • Access can be purchased for $25-35 depending on how “peak” the period is

The lounge has complimentary soft drinks, light snacks, coffee, wifi, printing, showers, etc., and then alcohol and more substantial food can be purchased in the lounge. Regardless of which method you use to enter, you’ll be given a $10 credit with your entry to purchase their premium products.

Anyway, I consider this to be exciting news. I really enjoy the JetBlue flying experience, though one reason I’ve avoided flying them out of NYC is because of the lack of practical lounge access. Given how frequent delays are out of NYC airports, having lounge access can be invaluable.

Airspace_Lounge

I look forward to checking the lounge out myself in the near future.

1. July 19th, 2013 at 4:53 am

starflyergold said,

Most food and drinks will be free for EI pax (denoted by the shamrock on the menu)

2. July 19th, 2013 at 6:38 am

Andrew C said,

I look forward to this. The one at BWI is very nice, never crowded, and has really tasty food.

3. July 19th, 2013 at 6:54 am

tom said,

EI pax get food & booze for free, no $10 limit

4. July 19th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Wandering Aramean said,

Not all items are comp’d for EI pax, only some. And it opens at 4:30, not 5am.

I’ve got some real photos from inside the Airspace JFK Lounge – I was there yesterday – online now as well.

5. July 19th, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Pegasus said,

Do you have to fly JetBlue to use the lounge with the Amex Plat card?

6. July 19th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

@ Pegasus — You don’t, though since it’s airside you do need to have access to the terminal.

7. July 20th, 2013 at 6:06 am

Heather @ pass the dressing said,

Just passed it. But like an idiot didn’t have my Amex with me because I didn’t realize it existed.

8. July 30th, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Bev said,

I’m not flying any airline in that terminal, but in and out from other terminals, with a long wait between. Can I get into T5 and to this lounge with tickets fromDelta and Emirates, not Jet Blue or EI or any other T5 airline?

9. July 30th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

@ Bev — I don’t believe you’ll be able to access the air side unless you have a boarding pass for a flight departing from that terminal, unfortunately.

10. July 30th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Bev Noia said,

Thanks for the info–what a disappointment! I’ve got about 15 hours to hang out …sure wish I could access that new loung there for some of them!

Anybody else have other ideas how to get into that terminal??

11. July 30th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

@ Bev Noia — If you really wanted to use the lounge you could purchase a refundable ticket on an airline that leaves from the terminal and then refund the ticket after you’ve cleared security.

12. July 30th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Bev Noia said,

Purchase a refundable ticket—that’s a thought….I may just look into it. What a shame they make it so hard to get to that lounge when it’s the only one of its type at JFK! Wish they’d made it land-side, not after security!

13. July 30th, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Bev Noia said,

I checked Jet Blue–there’s a fee for cancellation. About the only airline I know with no cancellation fee is Southwest, and they go to LGA, not JFK…..does anyone know an airline that goes out of T5 and has no penalty, no fee, for cancellation, and gives a full refund?

14. July 30th, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Bev Noia said,

15. July 30th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

@ Bev Noia — JetBlue does have refundable fares, you just have to book them instead of the lowest available fare. When you get to the results page the cheapest fare appears on the left and the refundable fare appears on the right.

16. July 30th, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Bev Noia said,

Thanks! I just didn’t explore far enough! I did google the question and read that there’s a change fee of $75–but maybe that’s not for all fares. I’ll look more closely.

17. August 4th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Mo said,

What about JetBlue Amex holders? Would they still be allowed in? Not sure if that card falls under “platinum” status

18. August 4th, 2013 at 10:21 am

@ Mo — No, they wouldn’t be unfortunately.