Back in March JetBlue announced that they’d be adding premium seating to their transcontinental flights between New York JFK and Los Angeles/San Francisco on their new delivery A321s. I figured they meant more “extra legroom” seats or some mildly improved seats, but then in June they announced they would be adding suites with door to the service.

The way they described it was as follows:

“The cabin proposed for the Jet Blue Airlines A321 (U.S. operator) is a two class layout, with 16 business class seats and 143 economy class seats (159 passengers),” says Airbus.

“The Business Class includes 4 single seats that are ‘mini-suites’ types. These mini-suites consist in a seat with surrounding furniture’s, intending to provide privacy to the occupants. Typically, the complete closure of the single mini-suites is possible by means of a sliding element, moving parallel to the aircraft longitudinal axis.”

And on the eve of the Global Business Travel Association conference in San Diego JetBlue has released a video that may just be a mock up of their new A321 cabin:

Here are a few screenshots:

JetBlue_Premium_Product1

JetBlue_Premium_Product2

JetBlue_Premium_Product3

My first reaction is “damn, is this JetBlue?” My second reaction is “damn, are they really doing angled flat seats when American, Delta, and United, have all announced plans to go fully flat in the market?”

The above video also finally explains how the suites with doors work. So it basically looks like rows one, three, and five will have the “standard” business class seats, while rows two and four will have doors. I’m rather curious how they plan to market and sell them differently, given that it’s not a separate cabin. Will they just charge an additional fee to assign those seats like “Even More Space” seats in coach, or will they literally sell a cabin within a cabin?

What do you guys think of the product?

Update: Apparently the seats will be fully flat, but JetBlue is just really, really bad at making videos and getting the single most important detail right.

1. August 4th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Bruce said,

I commented over on FrequentlyFlying but I’l say it here also – If this is it (Not 100$ sure yet) I am impressed. I definitely didn’t expect this. The only two things on my mind are what you stated-Angled lie flat? Seriously? First world problem but tough market as it is. Second-mixing F & C? Interesting. We’ll see what happens.

2. August 4th, 2013 at 11:02 am

AdamH said,

Those don’t look angled flat. It looks like the Turkish biz seats where it alternates two seats one seat each row for the footwell space and that the single seats will have a door because why not as opposed to being a nicer cabin.

3. August 4th, 2013 at 11:03 am

@ AdamH — Hmm, in the third picture don’t you see the angle of the seat compared to the wall of the plane? Looks like it goes as an angle to me.

And indeed, does seem like they’re going with the same design that Austrian, Brussels, etc., have.

4. August 4th, 2013 at 11:11 am

Rene Leon said,

Do you feel this is in preparation for American to swallow them up?

5. August 4th, 2013 at 11:15 am

@ Rene Leon — Hah, I think American has a more pressing merger they’re working on at the moment.

6. August 4th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Rayn said,

$$$ for “Even More Privacy” First/Business Class Suite

Marketing problem solved.

7. August 4th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Kris said,

@Rene AA/B6 never get approved by DOJ.
    And my first thought when I saw it was also “angled lie flat?”

8. August 4th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Andrew said,

Gary is jumping to the same conclusions on his blog–let’s hold off on assuming the seats are angled flat until we get something beyond a computer generated image.

9. August 4th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

chasgoose said,

Don’t even fully flat seats have a slight angle to compensate for the slight pitch when the plane is cruising? I think that’s all this was. Otherwise those would be by far the best angled lie-flat seats I have ever seen.

I think its just hard to tell because they show the recline in the single seat where you can’t see most of it.

10. August 4th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

@ chasgoose — Yeah, I think you’re right. There is a slight angle to even fully flat seats (to account for the nose up angle of the plane), though in addition to that I don’t think they did a good job with the video.

11. August 4th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Wandering Aramean said,

It is NOT an angled-flat seat. It is fully lie-flat.

The new seats are based on the Thomson Aero Vantage Suite. It is a slightly modified version of the seat used by SN, LX and others. And, as I mentioned before, it is actually fully flat, not angled.

More details available here: http://blog.apex.aero/cabin-interior/jetblue-takes-approach-premium-travel-private-option-airbus-a321s/.

12. August 5th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Steven L. said,

Those window seats look a smidge hard to get into.