Delta seems to be running a pretty amazing fare sale (I don’t think it’s a mistake, since we’ve seen similar fares to/from South America several times this year) between Sao Paulo and New York. Business class fares are just $900 roundtrip all-in.

The fare rules are as follows:

ExpertFlyer_Fares

Using ITA, there’s tons of availability for the fare starting in late September onwards.

ITA_Matrix

ITA_Matrix_Fares

Routing wise the best I could get was a double connection through Detroit and then Atlanta, as follows:

Delta_Fare

Delta does seem to fly their 767s with fully flat beds down to Sao Paulo. I’m rather tempted, as this would be a great trip to credit to Alaska and help me get to MVP Gold 75K.

But since I’d have to position to Sao Paulo, I feel like I’d have to do a few of them back to back to justify the positioning costs.

1. August 11th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Mike (The #hustle Blog) said,

Why is one of your ITA screenshots searching NYC-GRU? I thought this fare was only GRU-NYC

2. August 11th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

@ Mike — Whoops, typo on my part. Fixed, thanks!

3. August 11th, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Denis said,

Only GRU-NYC? No other American cities?

4. August 11th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

M Simons said,

good deal, united is like $2k for upgradable coach, or $1310 for just coach.

5. August 11th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

@ Denis — Best I can tell that’s the only available option.

6. August 11th, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Al said,

Brazil is not a friendly country to Americans – visa hassle, fingerprinting and all. Are there similar deals to Chile or Argentina?

7. August 11th, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Denis said,

BTW, did you try connecting through EZE?

8. August 11th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

@ Al — Keep in mind this fare is FROM Brazil and not TO Brazil. Agree it’s not great for Americans, though on the plus side I have a German passport, so believe I’m exempt from all that.

9. August 11th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

@ Denis — Haven’t tried, though not sure what the benefit would be since stopovers aren’t allowed?

10. August 11th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Denis said,

I think GRU-EZE-ATL-NYC would generate more miles than your routing.

11. August 11th, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Jorge said,

@Al Brazil is a friendly country. The things you mention, ourageous fees, fingerprints etc, were started by US immigration and the State department, not Brazil, Argentina or any other country.

They do this to Americans as a reciprocate policy. I have Swedish and American passports as well and don’t have to go thru all of this hassle.

12. August 11th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Santastico said,

I guess these fares are gone. Copied the exact same search you did and the cheapest fare I get is $2,044.

13. August 11th, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Carlos said,

@ Lucky – In which program do you recommend earning the miles from these flights? I bought four tickets that should be good for 60k miles (I’m going to transfer the miles from my family to my account). It seems Alaska would be a better choice than Delta, but as I’m not familiar with their programs, I could really use your advice.
    I’d like to redeem a one way ticket on first class to Asia or Oceania and buy or transfer the additional required miles from my credit card.

14. August 11th, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Levy Flight said,

Lucky – with a European passport you are indeed exempt. I tried this out myself a few weeks ago. Way easier to be none US for Brazil.

15. August 11th, 2013 at 10:33 pm

@ Carlos — If you want to do first class internationally than Alaska is definitely your best bet, given that you can’t book international first class with SkyTeam miles.

That being said, keep in mind if you transfer miles from a family member’s account that will come at a cost.

16. August 12th, 2013 at 7:46 am

Carlos said,

@ Lucky – Thanks for your reply, as usual very kind. Alaska has started today a promotion to buy miles with up to 40% bonus.

17. September 1st, 2013 at 7:23 pm

530 MPH Just Isn't Fast Enough - Milenomics said,

[…] I’d run the numbers to see how much a standard mileage run costs.  I’ll be using the $900 Delta mistake fare from GRU for my […]

18. November 24th, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Review: Delta BusinessElite Sao Paulo to Detroit - One Mile at a Time - One Mile at a Time said,

[…] presently shuttling back and forth between Brazil and the US on Delta (thanks to the mistake business class fare they had earlier in the year) to qualify for Alaska MVP Gold 75K […]