This is quite possibly the most exciting news, since, well, Miley Cyrus’ performance at the VMA’s last night.

EVA Air joined the Star Alliance in June which was pretty exciting news, since they have a spectacular business class product on much of their longhaul fleet and tons of award availability as well.

EVA_Air_Royal_Laurel

But arguably the most exciting thing about EVA Air are their “Hello Kitty” flights, which presently only operate on select intra-Asia routes operated by A330s. I mean, everything about these flights is Hello Kitty, down to the toilet paper (no joke). Here’s a short CNN segment about the service:

YouTube Preview Image

It looks like EVA Air will be bringing us some Kitty love in the US, because as of September 18 they’ll be launching Hello Kitty service on one of their 777-300ERs flying to Los Angeles. Via Taiwan News:

EVA Airways, Taiwan’s second-largest carrier, said Monday that its new plane decorated with the popular Japanese cartoon character Hello Kitty will debut Sept. 18 serving travelers bound for Los Angeles. Unlike the previous five Hello Kitty places, which were all Airbus A330s, the launch marks the first Boeing 777-300ER plane featuring the cartoon cat.

Now, it’s not entirely clear to me how frequent the service will be. A single 777-300ER can’t fly roundtrip between Los Angeles and Taipei daily, so I’m not sure whether the service will be every other day or whether they plan on having more than one Hello Kitty 777-300ER. I hope they publish the schedule soon, because I’d certainly plan my next flight to Asia around the service.

I realize this is a pipe dream, but could you imagine if they had a Hello Kitty branded Rimowa amenity kit? I don’t know what I’d do with myself…

(Tip of the hat to Kevin)

1. August 26th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Simon said,

Freaking awesome! I took the one from ICN-TPE and the service was excellent. Not to mention I felt giggly the whole flight.

2. August 26th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Ari said,

Is it bad that I’m even remotely thinking about taking a flight on the new HK773? What is my world coming to? Do they have Hello Kitty Dom though?? ;)

3. August 26th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Joey said,

Do you think they’ll give out Hello Kitty pajamas?!?!?!? :)

4. August 26th, 2013 at 1:29 pm

LincolnPark said,

OMG, OMG, OMG … Ever since you started talking about this, catching a ride on the Hello Kitty jet has become my next great aspirational award redemption goal! Can’t wait to see your trip report on THIS :-D!

5. August 26th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Mike said,

I cant believe grown men are going crazy over this for themselves. Lol

6. August 26th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Ozaer N. said,

Ben..they have come up with amazing advancements in the world of mental health these days at hospitals….I’d be happy to schedule a meet and greet :) …..hehehe j/k

7. August 26th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Dax said,

This story is rather confusing without some sort of explanation as to what exactly is so appealing about this to a grown childless man. At first I thought it was tongue in cheek but you’ve mentioned it enough times that I’m starting to think you’re actually excited about this. I’m not saying it’s wrong or that it makes you a bad person. I’m just asking what makes something like this so appealing.

8. August 26th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Kevincm said,

And lo. The mouthless cat claims another victim.

Yes, I’d be in for the fun factor… but a TPAC flight with the Kitty… That’s a touch long…

9. August 26th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

@ Dax — If the CNN segment doesn’t get you excited then I doubt I’ll be able to convince you. :D

10. August 26th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

W Brian Duncan (AKA IPBrian) said,

OH NO! My wife might poo herself!

11. August 26th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

nfamous said,

Awesome! Something to look forward to on my drive home from work, or having a burger at In-N-Out.

12. August 26th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Kyle B said,

I just got off the phone excited that I recived a new job and read this. OVER THE MOON

13. August 26th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Andrew B said,

Too bad they don’t offer continuing service to JFK on the Kitty Loves Apples plane. They could market it as “Kitty Loves the Big Apple.”

14. August 26th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Bits 'n Pieces for August 26, 2013 - View from the Wing - View from the Wing said,

[…] Alliance member EVA Airways is bringing a Hello Kitty 777-300ER to its Taipei – Los Angeles route. With 3 daily Los Angeles roundtrips, we do not yet know which flight will get this aircraft. But […]

15. August 26th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Jorge said,

I am dying to go now!

I want to fly on the Hello Kitty plane and get my Hello Kittie goodies. I would love to get a Rimowa with a Hello Kitty motive, that would be a killer if available ( hear me out, EVA air ! ).

And to my delight , land in Taipei and enjoy my favorite yet-to-visit lounge, “Tron Lounge”.

But Lucky, are you sure you are not going to be arrested by the mob after you called the airport a dump? ;-O

16. August 26th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Sean said,

Please continue to provide us updates regarding this Hello Kitty schedule. My wife would just die if I booked her a flight to or from Taiwan on a Hello Kitty plane.

17. August 26th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Nick said,

Do ya’all have asian wives?

18. August 26th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Steven L. said,

I wonder how they’l differentiate Business Class in a Hello Kitty 773.

19. August 26th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Stuart Falk said,

Can someone tell me, re U. S. Airways, if one buys miles (during their current promotion) using the U.S. Airways credit card, will it accrue at 2 points per dollar spent or is it processed by a third party?

20. August 26th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Ivan Y said,

That flight better have first-class and HK pajamas! I’m a guy, not a HK fanboy but still find possibility of FC passangers dressed in HK PJs pretty hilarious! :)

21. August 26th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Kis said,

thrice weekly I saw somewhere

22. August 26th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Ivan Y said,

Oops, should be “passengers”. Too distrated by CNN’s HK video to spell-check.

23. August 26th, 2013 at 6:58 pm

@ Stuart Falk — It’s processed by points.com, so wouldn’t count as an airline purchase.

24. August 26th, 2013 at 10:01 pm

choi said,

how do you know and find out which of the intra-asia a330 is the hello kitty flight ?

25. August 26th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

@ choi — All the Hello Kitty flights are listed on this page:

26. August 26th, 2013 at 10:48 pm

d said,

If they have Hello Kitty pajamas, I’m in!

27. August 26th, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Sandy said,

Thanks lucky! This is awesome!

28. August 27th, 2013 at 3:01 pm

EVA Air publishes Hello Kitty schedule for new Los Angeles service - One Mile at a Time - One Mile at a Time said,

[…] I shared what was hands down the industry news of the week — EVA Air will launch “Hello Kitty” service to the US as of September 18. […]

29. September 9th, 2013 at 10:32 am

Jack Chen said,

Schedule is only shown on EVA Air website in Chinese: “…Starting September 20th, Hello Kitty Jet will fly from Taipei to Los Angeles on BR16 every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Also, it will fly from Los Angeles to Taipei on BR15 every Monday, Thursday and Saturday…” (Original in Chinese: 20日起固定飛航每週三、五、日BR16台北-洛杉磯,及每週一、四、六的BR15洛杉磯-台北航線)

30. November 4th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Autumn trip to South Korea - Japan - Taiwan - Thailand with OZ,UA,TG(F) & LH,BR,SK(C) - Page 2 - FlyerTalk Forums said,

[…] for the Hello Kitty character. That was until I read about their dedicated Hello Kitty flights here. So, after checking E.V.A. Air's dedicated website for Hello Kitty flights, I realize that flight […]