I’m a big fan of Austrian Airlines, and find they have one of the most solid business class products for travel to Europe. Their hard product is quite nice, though their service and food/drinks are spectacular. In particular I love their dedicated coffee menu, which is the most extensive in the sky. I’ve flown them twice on longhaul flights between Vienna and Tokyo.

Southern Travel Girl flew Austrian business class from New York to Vienna a while ago, and for whatever reason they didn’t cater coffee.

Anyway, she has a pretty amazing update on her blog as of yesterday. Basically Austrian sent her a nice box containing everything she needs to make her own Viennese coffee, with a handwritten note from Austrian’s Vice President of Product Management and Marketing.

Per Susan’s blog, here’s the picture of what they sent her:

Austrian-Coffee

Included was a link to this video video they made just for her:

YouTube Preview Image

Well done, Austrian — just awesome!

1. November 1st, 2013 at 5:28 am

coalharbour said,

Well done, Austrian!

2. November 1st, 2013 at 5:35 am

A. S. said,

I think you’re being too naive. Clearly if she didn’t have a blog they wouldn’t have done that. Do you think they send this kit to everyone who complains that they didn’t cater coffee? It’s just their way of getting free advertising and it worked — the Internet is buzzing about how Austrian sends coffee kits to everyone at home.

Look, good for her — she certainly didn’t ask for it and karma-wise, she probably did something very nice to deserve this, but let’s call a spade a spade in terms of Austrians intentions.

3. November 1st, 2013 at 5:49 am

Christian Hepworth said,

Call my a cynic, but this has clearly only happened because she has a relatively high profile blog and Austrian know they’ll get a bunch of free publicity. Fair enough, they’re a business and they’ve taken the opportunity, I won’t begrudge them that. But to see it as anything other than that is a little naive from someone with so much experience in the industry.

4. November 1st, 2013 at 6:26 am

Dax said,

A. S. on November 1, 2013 at 5:35 am said: “I think you’re being too naive. Clearly if she didn’t have a blog they wouldn’t have done that. Do you think they send this kit to everyone who complains that they didn’t cater coffee?”

On Cathay Pacific I recently asked for Ben’s famous powdered tea beverage which I referred to as “Hong Kong Milk Tea” only to receive a cup of regular tea with a coffee creamers and sugar packet. There was no explanation for why it didn’t look or taste anything like the supposedly heavenly beverage Ben has described over and over again. Are you trying to tell me I won’t be receiving an elaborate tea service as compensation? :-P

“It’s just their way of getting free advertising and it worked — the Internet is buzzing about how Austrian sends coffee kits to everyone at home.”

If and when the time comes that an average person were to contradict this spoon fed soft news story I’m sure Ben will be there to tell us that it’s perfectly reasonable for Austrian to cut back on their conciliatory coffee service deliveries immediately after the bloggers got theirs. :-(

-Dax

5. November 1st, 2013 at 7:08 am

Kevin said,

Despite the fact she’s got a high profile blog, and maybe Austrian were looking for some free viral advertising, I still think it was a nice gesture. Classy move Austrian!

6. November 1st, 2013 at 8:06 am

Jerry said,

I agree with above, it only happened because she’s on the internet
    vs. lucky’s EU compensation for the LH delayed flight where I hope LH simply compensated you as an regular passenger and not because you’re Ben

Nice gesture though, and probably should have a “disclosure” attached :P

7. November 1st, 2013 at 10:10 am

Viennese Coffee by Austrian Airlines | Urbanfoodguy said,

[…] morning I saw an email from one of my favorite travel bloggers Lucky at One Mile at a Time.  He’s flown on Austrian a few times and it was his reviews that really got me psyched about […]

8. November 1st, 2013 at 11:09 am

Justin said,

@Dax For some reason CX attendants aren’t very good IME at knowing that you mean “Hong Kong Style” milk tea. My 2 most recent CX flights I had to send what you got back and get the real thing…

9. November 1st, 2013 at 12:50 pm

stvr said,

pays to blog!

10. November 1st, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Susan said,

Thanks for the mention, Ben. I was definitely surprised and not expecting such a great gesture on the part of Austrian Airlines!

Granted, it may simply be part of their marketing strategy, but I have no problem with that. Free advertising? So what. I believe the gesture speaks for itself. If it gets more than one more person to try the Austrian product, then I think that’s great.

I know I am definitely going to fly with them again.

11. November 1st, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Dax said,

There you have it folks.

Susan herself is happy to be of service as an unquestioning conduit for cheap advertising.

Any questions?

12. December 17th, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Ivan Y said,

Hmm… I am not sure why some people feel the need to think that Susan did something wrong by simply reporting what happened? Sure, Austrian probably doesn’t send a coffee kit to everyone who complains about missing Coffee Menu but good for them for trying to make amends.

At least, they are trying as opposed to other airlines that ignore any complaints/issues even if they are brought up by prominent bloggers.