I know not everyone will agree (I’ve even asked you guys whether I hype it too much), but I love Lufthansa first class. I mean, between the limited edition blue ducks available in the first class lounges and Rimowa amenity kits available aboard, what more could you really want?

Lufthansa-Ducks

It seems Lufthansa asked just that question, because for the month of December they’ll be serving Krug in first class!

Now what more could you want? Actually, since Lufthansa seems to be delivering on everything else I’d love, how about an onboard shower so I can have a glass of Krug while playing with my rubber ducks?!

(Tip of the hat to SMK77)

1. November 22nd, 2013 at 6:34 am

ABC said,

What more?
    A classy airline (Ryanair) was promising beds and bjs on their long haul flights. Shockingly, long haul routes don’t work with their established low fare model. This product will remain a fantasy.

2. November 22nd, 2013 at 6:50 am

Gene said,

Yeah! After a day at the Mainz Weihnachtsmarkt drinking glühwein, I can’t think of a better way to spend Christmas day with FCQ than flying LH F FRA-SFO with goose and Krug. I can’t wait. Merry Christmas!

3. November 22nd, 2013 at 6:59 am

Jared said,

@ABC- I certainly hope you meant beds and PJs, not bjs. Then again you never know with Ryanair.

@Lucky- Are you really all that excited about Krug champagne? Not to sound harsh, but are you really all that into champagne in general? Outside of free champagne on a plane or at a hotel, do you actually buy your own champagne to drink? I find it kinda silly to get so excited over something just because it is expensive it isn’t something you actually have an interest in.

4. November 22nd, 2013 at 7:04 am

Peter said,

Do I sense an all-LH December trip report coming with decreasing sobriety as the journey progresses?

@Jared–Good catch! That would sell some tickets. ;-)

5. November 22nd, 2013 at 7:07 am

Kai said,

Why not make it a regular thing? CX and SQ serve them…

6. November 22nd, 2013 at 7:20 am

Lisa said,

@Jared – It’s Ryanair, so I assumed that was the actual offer. ;)

7. November 22nd, 2013 at 7:33 am

Joe said,

@lucky What are your thoughts on Lufthansa business class? Since first isnt always bookable, how is their business product?

8. November 22nd, 2013 at 8:15 am

German Expat said,

Ryanair was actually BJ’s :-)

The funny part was that the german translator struggled how to translate it (there is no straight translation).

9. November 22nd, 2013 at 8:19 am

Lantean said,

why only in December? hopefully they’ll bring it back next summer when we fly MUC-YYZ.

@Joe
    Lufthansa biz is quite mediocre… even tho on the upper deck of 747-8 it was slightly better

10. November 22nd, 2013 at 9:30 am

Henry said,

How about they open up some more bookable award space outside of 2 weeks

11. November 22nd, 2013 at 10:49 am

Bart Lapers said,

I love the 1999 Pommery Champagne Cuvée Louise Brut they are serving this month!

12. November 22nd, 2013 at 12:30 pm

wwk5d said,

@Joe

He did a recent TR on their business class, you can look for it in the Trips Report section.

Lucky, this has to go in your list of Top 5 First World Posts…

13. November 22nd, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Go said,

those blue rubber duckies are nice :) too bad i dont have other editions. How many editions do you have?

14. November 22nd, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Greg said,

I personally prefer the Dom that Emirates serves in First over Krug.

What I wish for is a standard product. Their old first is not as good as their new first. As well, I like WiFi (which LH has had pretty reliably on my trips) and PJ bottoms on the day flights as I only get the bottoms on the night flights.

The real shame with LH is their business class product. The new business is good, the old is one of the worst out there, yet they still try to charge the same for both AND I personally find it very challenging trying to book routes where I know I get the newer business class….(sorry off topic).

15. November 22nd, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Lindsay said,

By the way, the first class terminal was out of blue rubber ducks as of Wednesday, this week. They somehow found two for a couple we were visiting with in the lounge. The display of the rubber duck editions in the first class terminal was interesting.

16. November 22nd, 2013 at 4:27 pm

mangoMan said,

@Jared – I second your question to Lucky.

Personally I find Krug to be overrated. I prefer the Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle BA serves in F (or a few other champagnes, actually) to Krug. But that’s just me and everyone has their own opinion.

17. November 22nd, 2013 at 9:29 pm

@ Jared — I’m by no means a champagne expert, but have a strong preference for Krug over Dom (at least the 2003 vintage).

18. November 22nd, 2013 at 9:31 pm

@ Joe — I’ve only flown Lufthansa’s old business class, and you can find my review of that here:

All-in-all not a great product, in my opinion.

19. November 23rd, 2013 at 11:29 am

Franklyn said,

Oh I hope I get LH First when going to Germany end of December!!

20. November 23rd, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Nancy M said,

when i got to fly SQ in F long haul a few years ago (i actually WON a contest where the prize was an F ticket RTW on *A!) – the flight attendant offered me a glass of Dom on boarding at SFO – i asked where was the Krug? and then admitted i probably could not tell the difference – he charmingly replied ‘oh madam – i’m sure you will discern the difference – they are each quite distinctive!’ – he was right – Krug is a bit too dry (maybe too sophisticated?) for me and from then on when offered the choice i opted for the Dom

21. November 25th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Ivan Y said,

Hmm… what does LH normally serve in F? When I flew LX F this month, it was Laurent-Perrier Grand Siecle which wasn’t too bad but I liked whatever I had in SQ F better (Dom, I think).

22. November 26th, 2013 at 4:58 am

@ Ivan Y — They seem to alternate champagne with some frequency. Here’s the one they served for the past few months:

23. December 11th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Rockstopper said,

Currently sitting at the FRA FCL. Just got off the ORD-FRA 747-800 flight in F… no Krug on board. :(

They had just the Pommery Cuvee Louise, 1999 (which is tasty too) and the flight attendant gave me a blank look when I asked if LH was serving Krug in F this month.

First World Problems eh?

24. December 11th, 2013 at 7:23 pm

@ Rockstopper — That’s disappointing! Was it on the menu, though?

25. December 12th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Rockstopper said,

Didn’t read wine menu on the ORD-FRA flight.

On my next MUC-HKG F flight, the wine menu did list both the 1999 Cuvee Luise and Krug. Unfortunately, when I asked for Krug on that flight, turned out they only stocked the flight with the Cuvee Luise as well.

0 for 2.

Maybe LH ran out of the Krug early this month due to popular demand?

26. December 18th, 2013 at 11:06 am

Sean said,

Hi Ben,

I’m flying LH F today (LAX-FRA), with an onward connection to SIN.

Just curious if you have any tips for maximizing the onboard experience? Are there any special food/drink items that I should order onboard, or in the FCT? I’m reading your past reports now… :)

Thanks!

Sean

27. December 18th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

@ Sean — Awesome, enjoy the trip! Nothing to really “maximize,” as the experience maximizes itself pretty well. Just be sure you grab some Christmas ducks from the First Class Terminal in Frankfurt. :D

28. December 18th, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Sean said,

Thanks, Ben.

I’m toasting you with a Krug as I type… ;)

If anyone needs a FCT invite on the 19th, I’ll be there for several hours. Guess we would have to be on the same flight, though.