I’m presently shuttling back and forth (and back and forth and back and forth and back and forth) between the US and Brazil on American and Delta, as part of a year-end mileage run. Yeah, I know. I had plenty of time to reflect on how this might not be the world’s greatest idea during my nearly 2.5 hour taxi ride from the airport to my hotel in Sao Paulo…

I was sweating the first upgrade from New York to Sao Paulo, as the sold-out business class meant I was still waitlisted for an upgrade. Fortunately the upgrade came through at the gate, so we’ll have to save the economy class trip report for next time. ;)

The flight was operated by one of American’s brand spanking new 777-300ERs, and it was an interesting flight to say the least, though I’ll share my thoughts on that shortly.

American-Business-Class

But first I have to share one of the more embarrassing moments I’ve had on a plane.

I fell asleep about three hours into the nine-hour flight after having drunk a lot of water, so woke up maybe halfway through the flight needing to go to the lavatory. The cabin was pretty dark, and a few minutes after returning to my seat I fell right asleep.

I was woken up a short time later by a guy tapping on my shoulder, saying “you’re in my seat.”

Seems I went back to sleep in 8G instead of 9G. Guess his visit to the lavatory was just longer than mine. Whoops.

In the interest of full disclosure, I wasn’t inebriated in the slightest. I did have a cup of celebratory pre-departure champagne, though that was the extent of my alcohol consumption.

I’ve certainly accidentally sat down in someone else’s seat during boarding, but this was my first time falling asleep in someone else’s seat… anyone ever done the same? Sure hope not!

1. November 23rd, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Charlie said,

How long do you think he was standing there wondering what to do before he tapped you? :)

2. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Ben said,

Avid reader of your site, seen you speak in person–overall, huge fan.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but…any plans to ever settle down? Get a girlfriend? I love traveling alone, but I’ve always find flying in an elite cabin is more fun with a significant other ;) Just wondering what kind of toll this takes on your personal life (mileage runs, nonstop travel, etc).

Again, just curious, and mean no ill-will!

3. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Dave said,

He probably took a photo or maybe a video and will post it later on the web!

4. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:06 pm

dhammer53 said,

Coins, Insert witty comment here.

5. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Todd said,

And here I thought you were going to go somewhere related to drinking a lot of water and waking up with an embarrassing “attention” situation.

6. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:11 pm

M Simons said,

Odds are he was talking to someone in coach, could have been gone quite awhile. For embarassing, try pulling down your luggage looking for something, only to find out its not yours….yeah matching bags.

7. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Tim said,

No but it was done to the person sitting next to me on a AA flight to Hawaii years ago. It turned out to be a good thing for me thou!

8. November 23rd, 2013 at 1:57 pm

wxguy said,

Almost the same thing the other day. My fav seat on the UA 747 is 1A and always sit there. But the other day NRT-SFO I could only get 2A. Mid-trip lav run, and it was pitch black in the cabin. On the return I almost plopped back into 1A. Where someone was sound asleep. Very close!

9. November 23rd, 2013 at 5:11 pm

llfromto said,

It was dark and you were tired.
    If it was me, I would laugh it off and move on.

10. November 23rd, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Steven L. said,

It could have been worse. You could have sat down while he was still in the seat.

11. November 23rd, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Brian said,

I agree with some of the other posters. I think you generally have good reviews, etc. but really think you are off the deep end. What’s the point of status if all of your trips are just mileage runs?
    Also, Ben, I think it’s a boyfriend he would be looking for.

12. November 24th, 2013 at 7:08 am

anon said,

“Also, Ben, I think it’s a boyfriend he would be looking for.”

what a bizarre sentence.

13. November 25th, 2013 at 2:32 am

Nick said,

I agree with you, Anon; no need whatsoever for that comment. Additionally, when you assist people to spend their accrued miles as your job I would imagine holding status with a couple of different schemes might be beneficial. How you achieve that status may well even qualify as ‘work’. I think he’s bat-shit crazy too, but it makes great reading. Keep it up, Lucky.

14. November 25th, 2013 at 8:31 am

Andrew B said,

I wonder if he thought you were trying to sneak up from coach.

I don’t think it’s a boyfriend or girlfriend Lucky seeks, but rather a goldendoodle. ;-)

15. November 25th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

bluto said,

I’m in a car going from the hotel to GRU airport. I might top your 2.5 hour cab ride. I budgeted 4 hours to leave before my flight to YYZ and I might not make it. Travelers to São Paulo beware.