Earlier this year Chase introduced First Friday Favorites, whereby you earn 3x points on dining when paying with your Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card on the first Friday of every month.

You ordinarily earn two points per dollar spent on dining, so this is an additional point per dollar. Beyond that, you earn a 7% annual points dividend for all points earned, so in the end you’re really earning 3.21 points per dollar spent on dining. Tomorrow is the first Friday of December, so get your Chase Sapphire Preferred Cards out!

Chase-Sapphire-Preferred

While this obviously doesn’t make a huge difference for a normal meal, I think this is especially valuable this month. Tons of restaurants offer bonuses on the purchase of gift cards around the holidays, so it’s usually a time of year where I stack up on restaurant gift cards anyway. It’s not unusual to see restaurants offering a ~$20 “bonus card” when purchasing $100+ in gift cards. So if you’re going to take advantage of something like that, you might as well do so tomorrow and earn an extra point per dollar on your Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Here are just a few examples of restaurants offering bonus cards right now:

• Bonefish Grill is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card
  • Fleming’s is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card
  • Carrabba’s is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card
  • California Pizza Kitchen is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card
  • Chili’s is offering a $10 bonus card when purchasing a $50 gift card
  • Maggiano’s is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card
  • Olive Garden is offering a $10 bonus card when purchasing a $50 gift card
  • Outback is offering a $20 bonus card when purchasing a $100 gift card

Alternatively, keep in mind you can purchase many chain restaurant gift cards at office supply stores, where it can make sense to use your Ink Plus Card. You earn 5x Ultimate Rewards points per dollar spent there. For December, however, it may be worth purchasing a gift card directly from a restaurant if they have a promotion on the purchase of gift cards.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I earn a referral bonus for anyone approved through the above links. All are for the best available offers. Thanks for your support!)

1. December 5th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Alohadavekennedy said,

OBAKASAN NE! You left out Benihana with a $10 gift card per $50 gift card purchased. :)

2. December 5th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Ivan Y said,

Nice!

TO add to the list – La Madeleine’s offer is a $5 GC for every $25 GC.

P.S. I love Panera Bread but they only give a $10 eGC for $100+ (so max=1) and only if buying GC online.

3. December 5th, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Nick said,

I found the best one:
    Ruby Tuesday is giving $15 bonus coupon for buying $50 of gift cards. That is pretty good.

I would like to know if I buy $100 worth of Ruby’s tomorrow, using my SP, will they credit me 300 UR’s? Or must it be a dine-in?

4. December 5th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Nick said,

I take it back – there is a tie. Bucca di Beppo is also doing $15 on $50:

Also, a few other good ones – Mortons $20 on $100
    and Yardhouse $10 on $50

5. December 5th, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Kevin said,

Roys $20 for every $100.

6. December 5th, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Rob said,

“I earn a referral bonus for anyone approved through the above links. All are for the best available offers.”

That is incorrect. There is a better offer on Chase’s website….

7. December 6th, 2013 at 3:11 am

FlyFlyer said,

In a few locations around Detroit, Buca di Beppo is also a Rewards Network restaurant. In the past, I have stocked up there on GCs on First Friday, earning a nice sum of AA miles to boot.

8. December 6th, 2013 at 4:44 am

Jared said,

You’d think that good travel taste would translate to good taste in restaurants. Pretty much all those restaurants serve crap on a plate. No way I am going to force myself to eat boring, oversalted, unoriginal food just to get a few extra points.

9. December 6th, 2013 at 5:57 am

anon said,

Jared, keep in mind even in F, it is still airplane food !

10. December 6th, 2013 at 6:30 am

Nick said,

Don’t fret, Jared.
    Just order a salad!

11. December 6th, 2013 at 6:36 am

Jared said,

I’d much rather support a local business than these chains which push out plate after plate of garbage to the gluttinous masses. I’d rather not even bother to order a salad from them. It would probably be drenched in bottled dressing full of sugar and salt anyway.

12. December 6th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Lisa said,

A salad isn’t any better. The last time I was forced to go to Olive Garden (about a year ago), almost 1/4 of the lettuce was rotten in my salad.

13. December 6th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

EJ said,

IS restaurant.com can be counted?
    I used restarant.com with Sapphire card through chase UR mall today…I wonder, they give 3X bonus.

14. December 6th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

@ EJ — I don’t have any firsthand experience, though I would guess not since they’re an online service and not really a restaurant.