Silvercar is an innovative new car rental service that has the potential to do to the car rental industry what Uber did to the taxi/car service industry.

What makes Silvercar unique is that they only have one type of car — an Audi A4 — which comes with a bunch of cool features, including:

• Free GPS
  • Free wifi
  • Free satellite radio
  • Free toll tracking
  • Reasonable fuel plan (if you choose not to fill up your car you pay the local pump price plus a $5 fill-up fee)

Furthermore, Silver eliminates the lines when picking up a car. When you download their app you can just go directly to the car and use the app to unlock the car.

Silvercar

So far Silvercar is available at the following airports:

• Austin, Texas (AUS)
  • Houston Hobby Airport, Texas (HOU)
  • Dallas Ft. Worth, Texas (DFW)
  • Dallas, Texas (DAL)
  • Los Angeles, California (LAX)
  • San Francisco, California (SFO)

Anyway, Silvercar prices are fairly reasonable, and start at $59 per day on weekends. However, through June 30, 2014, they’re offering new customers $50 off a rental. Simply enter promotion code AFF-FTD when making a booking. To add a promotion code simply push the “add promo code” button at the bottom right of the booking page.

Silvercar-Promotion

With this offer, the price of a rental can drop to just $9 per weekend day plus tax. Obviously this offer works out best for a one-day rental, since the $50 discount applies per rental and not per day, and it’s only available to new customers, so you can’t use it multiple times.

Has anyone used Silvercar yet? If so, what did you think?

(Tip of the hat to Running with Miles)

1. December 6th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

ed said,

Had a great time in LA. The car was capable and good looking very suitable for LA fast traffic.

2. December 6th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Paul said,

How much were you compensated to push this service? For “full disclosure” reasons.

3. December 6th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

@ Paul — Boy, bitchy crowd today! I was paid *nothing*. Have never spoken to anyone at the company and have no connection to them. $11 all-in for a weekend Audi A4 rental just seems like a good deal to me. Sorry if you don’t feel the same.

4. December 6th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

snic said,

Brilliant. And you can choose any car you like, as long as it’s a silver A4!

5. December 6th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Tom said,

Looks like $89 a day on weekdays. Seems like it is good for price insensitive business travelers, but probably not going to compete with the regular guys for low price.

6. December 6th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

TheBeerHunter said,

is Paul == Frank?

7. December 6th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

DJ said,

whatever fee if any paid to Lucky is well deserved. he provides info you screen and decide if its good for you. this dumped-down generation of people that expect to be spoon-fed everything w/o thinking is the reason for the state of this once great country.

8. December 6th, 2013 at 2:54 pm

B said,

I had my mom use them when she came to visit me in Dallas. Silvercar had a promotion with Virgin America if you flew on them you could get a free 2 day weekend rental. It is all automated but there is someone there to help if it is your first time, which helped since my mom is not very tech savvy. Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend them.

9. December 6th, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Gene said,

“I definitely hope to give them a try sometime soon. For fellow young renters it’s worth noting that they have a minimum age of 25 in order to rent with them, and it doesn’t look like there’s any underage fee you can pay to get around that.”

Won’t you need to wait like 2 years or so? If so, that wouldn’t qualify as “soon”!

10. December 6th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

brit44 said,

Interesting option. Do you think if renting with Chase Sapphire Preferred that liability would be covered or do I need to go the AMEX route?

11. December 6th, 2013 at 5:45 pm

John said,

Where do you find these bitchy readers??
    Must be having their period.
    Keep up the good work.

12. December 6th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Rami said,

From reading the website, I don’t quite understand if insurance is included; they imply it is but don’t say it.

13. December 6th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

@ Rami — Best I can tell it isn’t included. Here are the buy up options they have for insurance:

14. December 7th, 2013 at 1:57 am

Juan Sequeda said,

I used them for a weekend in austin and completely worth it. Definitely worth it!!

15. December 7th, 2013 at 7:47 am

Dax said,

“Silvercar is an innovative new car rental service that has the potential to do to the car rental industry what Uber did to the taxi/car service industry”

I’m not against the idea of Silvercar per se, and I’ll have to reserve judgement until they expand their network a bit, but what exactly do you think Uber did to the taxi service industry?

Absurd time and distance rates remain in full effect for taxis all over the country and much of the world. Dirty vehicles handled by arrogant, uneducated, and borderline incompetent drivers appear to remain the standard where I travel.

In the small number of cities where Uber exists the taxi companies still charge absurd rates for lousy service in dirty vehicles and so far as I can tell Uber has done absolutely nothing to change any of that.

In my view what Uber has managed to do is charge even more than already overpriced services for a slightly nicer experience. Fair enough, but what exactly is new or revolutionary about that?

16. December 7th, 2013 at 9:21 am

Rami said,

The problem is that most credit cards do not cover “luxury cars”; this is a very vague term because an entry level Audi, Lexus or BMW is hardly luxury but the “brand” is luxury to some. Some credit cards put a cap value on the price of the car which is also kind of vague. Entry level Audi 4 may be $ X but once you add GPS, etc…. it can be $X + 10-20K.
    The bottom line, if I rent this car I would definitely take the insurance and not rely on credit card unless you have Amex.
    I think it is still a great deal if you want a really nice car for a short period.

17. December 7th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Jamie said,

To me the price seems high, but for a short rental I’d be tempted (especially with the intro offer) simply for the ability to skip the lines.
    I have used über a few times, but only when there was a discount or offer. It’s so great to be able to just order a car straight from the app, especially when there are tons of other people waiting in a huge queue for a cab. It is expensive though. It should be cheaper given the automated nature of everything. But whatever.

18. December 7th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Dax said,

“The problem is that most credit cards do not cover ‘luxury cars’”

Excellent point.

I wonder why that never made it into the article.

No matter, I’m sure someone will beta test that aspect and let us know how screwed they were.

19. December 7th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Joe S said,

Saw this a week ago on Slickdeals, booked a 3 day rental in LA for Feb for $140 or so. It was about $50 more than the cheapest car rental at the cheapest place, so seemed totally worth the extra $50, especially cause I’m splitting it with my buddy.

20. December 8th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

sjs said,

Used them in LA. Hertz is stupidly expensive in LA, so price was comparable. FoundersCard discount helped. Very nice experience overall, a few kinks to be worked out, but solid A- overall.

21. December 8th, 2013 at 10:44 pm

caligal said,

Used Silvercar SF over the Thanksgiving holidays and it was a fantastic experience. They ran a 50% off promo at that time so it came out to be $25-$30/day. Super helpful personnel, odd location, everything is operated by cell phone and you simply scan your car of choice…of course i wanted the one with calif plates. The car was great fun and my teen son set me up with the sound system, blue tooth and all the extra gadgetry. (i did encounter a problem at lax as i didn’t bring a cc only debit card and they wouldn’t rent to me. they then dropped me off at hertz.)

22. December 9th, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Ivan Y said,

Hmmm… Why offer it at Hobby but not Bush (IAH). But still sounds like an interesting concept especially with discounts.

P.S. Recently came back from Prague. Everyone there orders taxis through SMS. Kind of interesting.

23. February 7th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Pizza In Motion – Business Travel As A Family Man Kinda Sucks, Ben Baldanza Is Good At Taking Your Money, And Joe Biden Hates Laguardia. Things I Find Interesting On Friday, February 7, 2014 said,

[…] A great chance to try driving an Audi very cheaply.  Solid Silvercar discount. […]