The Alaska Airlines Visa seems to be offering an increased sign-up bonus right now of up to 50,000 miles. You earn 25,000 miles upon approval and an additional 25,000 miles after making at least $1,000 in purchases within the first 90 days of the account open date. The annual fee on the card is $75, which isn’t waived the first year.

Alaska-Airlines-Visa

This offer does technically seem to be targeted, though in practice with Bank of America if you’re approved you typically get the bonus, so I’d feel pretty safe applying even if you weren’t targeted (though that’s not a guarantee). The T&Cs do state this as well:

*Bonus Mile Offer: This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer and is valid for a limited time by invitation only. This offer is not valid for customers that have applied for this product in the last 12 months.

That’s interesting, because historically the Alaska Airlines Visa Card is extremely churnable, and you can apply and be approved every few months. So I don’t know if the above restriction will actually be enforced, or whether that’s just boilerplate language. I probably won’t apply, since I picked up another one of these cards with a 30,000 mile sign-up bonus just last month.

Personally I love the Alaska Airlines Visa and keep multiple of them. Just for having the card you get a $118 companion ticket, and when using it the companion is still eligible for mileage accrual and upgrades. That companion certificate more than justifies the $75 annual fee for me year after year.

Alaska Mileage Plan miles are incredibly valuable for travel on Cathay Pacific and Emirates, as they allow one-way awards on both carriers, and even allow stopovers on one-ways. So this is an offer I’d definitely recommend taking advantage of if you can.

(Tip of the hat to Gary)

1. December 11th, 2013 at 6:30 am

Sil said,

I just opened my Personal Biz Alaska Air card 4 1/2 months ago. I just sent an email to cancel the card today. First off, will my alaska air miles be clawed back even though I already received the miles in my Alaska Air Mileage account? I just opened a new Alaska Biz card a month ago so going to keep it. is the fine print for “not valid for customers applying for this card in last 12 months” ONLY for the Personal card?

2. December 11th, 2013 at 6:39 am

Ben said,

How many of these can you get a year? What are the rules on churnability?

3. December 11th, 2013 at 6:51 am

Lantean said,

i just applied for it 3 weeks ago… how are they with matching offers?
    thank you.

4. December 11th, 2013 at 7:21 am

Ed said,

Lucky, I just applied last month also, I was approved overnight for this new card. You should go for it also

5. December 11th, 2013 at 7:38 am

Jason said,

Howmany Alaska miles is it one way USA to Asia on emirates a380 suites?.

6. December 11th, 2013 at 8:28 am

mangoceviche said,

oh darn it. i just applied for and received my 3rd card last month.

7. December 11th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Douglas said,

I have 1 I got three months ago and was going to apply for another this week. Would I be better off just getting the 25k one that is churnable instead of taking a chance on this one?

8. December 11th, 2013 at 9:53 am

@ Sil — I don’t think they take back the miles. And yes, that restriction is only for the personal card as far as I know.

9. December 11th, 2013 at 9:53 am

@ Ben — There are no set limits, but I know plenty of people that get one every three months or so, as a data point.

10. December 11th, 2013 at 9:54 am

@ Lantean — Generally not good, unfortunately.

11. December 11th, 2013 at 9:55 am

@ Ed — Congrats, good to know. Thanks for the heads up. Assume you didn’t call to confirm the sign-up bonus?

12. December 11th, 2013 at 9:55 am

@ Jason — It’s 100,000 miles one-way in first class.

13. December 11th, 2013 at 9:55 am

@ Douglas — I’d suggest waiting for some more data points and seeing if others that applied recently also managed to get approved for this offer.

14. December 11th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Glenn said,

I applied on the 30,000 offer 3 weeks ago and amazingly got approved instantly today on the 50,000 offer. This is now my 3rd BOA card.

15. December 11th, 2013 at 10:19 am

Coffee said,

I applied under the 50k offer. Approved instantly. Can anyone confirm the sign-up bonus?

16. December 11th, 2013 at 11:29 am

turgutbey said,

@lucky, what’s the advice if you already have an alaska card. Should I use the same Mileage Plan acct number or do I need to create a seperate acct and merge them later?

17. December 11th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

UAPhil said,

I live in CA, and was just approved with a significant credit limit. Keeping my fingers crossed….

18. December 11th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

@ turgutbey — Based on the reports above it doesn’t seem necessary to change the Mileage Plan number. Lots of reports of success using the correct number above.

19. December 11th, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Ed said,

I did not call to confirm the 50k bonus. Sounds like a good idea for tomorrow. I submitted my application with no mileage number just to be safe. Alaska will merge the accounts as needed. I I have done that before also

20. December 12th, 2013 at 7:31 am

Alaska Airlines BoA Credit Card 50k Bonus | WorldWanderlusting.com said,

[…] One Mile at a Time, many people have been able to score this deal for 50k even with this disclaimer right on the […]

21. December 13th, 2013 at 7:44 am

麦麦 said,

Got approved for this card this morning. Called last night to confirm the bonus even with a NY address, which they did confirm. Asked again this morning to which the agent said whatever the bonus was on the promotion should apply.

22. December 13th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

AR said,

Got approved for the 40,000 offer a few weeks ago where you get $25,000 bonus miles then have to spend 2k/month to get the rest. I just applied for this one and got turned down. The BofA reps do not seem to even understand the current promotion I’m in.

23. December 16th, 2013 at 7:51 am

Ed said,

Confirmed a 50k bonus on my card with B of A last week. Today the first 25k posted to my account. I haven’t even received the card yet. This is my 2nd card in 2 months. Whew, that was quick

24. December 16th, 2013 at 11:00 am

@ Ed — Awesome, thanks for the data point!

25. December 18th, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Andy said,

As of this morning, the link appears to be dead.