One of the nice features of the British Airways Executive Club program is that they allow the creation of household accounts. Household accounts allow up to six people living at the same address to pool their Avios and apply them towards a single redemption. The “catch” is that when you create a household account you can only redeem Avios for people registered to your account.

Anyway, British Airways has just added a huge new benefit to household accounts by introducing a “my friends and family” plan. If you have a household account you can now also create a list of up to five nominees that aren’t in your household account that you can still redeem Avios for.

Here’s the description:

The Head of Household can create and manage the Family and Friends list for all Members, so that collectively you can spend your Household Avios on more people who are important to you. They don’t have to live at the same address as you either. You can also make cash and reward flight bookings for them more quickly because their personal details will be filled in for you.

• Share your Avios with more people than those in just your Household Account.
  • Your family or friends don’t need to be members of the Executive Club to benefit.
  • There are no residential or geographical restrictions on who can benefit.

British-Airways-Household-Account

And then here are some of the major terms:

You can have five people on your Family & Friends list

A person cannot be removed from your Family & Friends list until they have been on it for six months

Only the head of the Household Account can add or remove people from the Friends & Family list.  De facto, it is one Family & Friends list per household account, rather than per person.

You need the full name, date of birth and an email address to add someone to your Family & Friends list

This is a huge improvement. I’ve never had a household account due to the inability to redeem AVIOS for someone outside the account, though with this change I might just create one.

(Tip of the hat to Gary)

1. December 12th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Matthew said,

Today I found my Household account was dissolved. Anyone else?

2. December 12th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Jeff said,

I have the household account for my wife and I and have never used it. I have a an adult child and brother who live out of state and together they have 80,000 or so points that they will not use. If I put them in this new friends account, can I simply move points, or pool them together, for free, for one ticket for myself and my wife? How does this work?

3. December 12th, 2013 at 10:11 pm

@ Jeff — If you pool those two accounts with your household account then you can use them all towards a single ticket. However, if you just add them as “family and friends” then you can’t pool all the accounts towards a single ticket.

4. December 13th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Steve said,

Lucky, thanks for alerting me to this. I still don’t fully understand though. If I want to give my parents some BA miles, but I don’t live with them, is this not officially allowed? E.g., I have to live in the same house as them to combine/transfer miles?

5. December 14th, 2013 at 8:07 am

Pizza In Motion – Things I Find Interesting On Saturday, December 14th, 2013 said,

[…] recent changes regarding household accounts is the future of mileage redemption.  Lucky details the changes recently announced by BA.  I think this is a big plus for extended families to be able to pool orphan miles to get […]

6. December 14th, 2013 at 3:36 pm

@ Steve — If you don’t join a household account then you can redeem Avios for anyone, but you can’t transfer or pool them. If you do have a household account then you can pool them towards an award in anyone’s name, but up until yesterday couldn’t redeem them for anyone not in the household.

7. December 18th, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Tom said,

Is there a restriction on transferring avios from BA household accounts into an Iberia account to save on the fuel surcharges? I’ve read about this previously but then heard that household accounts couldn’t do this.

8. December 18th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

@ Tom — That’s correct, if you’re in a household account you can’t transfer Avios to Iberia.