Last night after landing from London I was rather thrilled when I opened my email inbox and had this email from Hyatt waiting for me:

Hyatt-Free-Night-2

Then the text of the email reads as follows:

Ben, do you remember your first recorded stay at Andaz Wall Street in 2010?

You’ve come a long way since then. In fact, with your recent stay, you’ve visited 50 different Hyatt hotels as a Hyatt Gold Passport member. That’s no small feat.

As a thank you, we’re thrilled to offer you one free night at any of our Hyatt locations worldwide. This award, valid for one year, is now in your Hyatt Gold Passport account. Please enjoy our gift to you.

We congratulate you on this exciting milestone and hope that with every mile you go, you’ll continue to discover new Hyatt destinations around the world.

Safe travels,

Caroline
Milestones Curator

When I checked my Gold Passport account, the free night was already in there:

Hyatt-Free-Night-1

The full terms & conditions for the free night are as follows:

Unique hotels visited measured from January 1995 to present. Member must have one (1) eligible stay within the past five (5) years to receive Milestone award. Free Night promotional awards are valid for one (1) year from date of issuance at any Hyatt, Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, and Hyatt Residence Club location worldwide. All hotel reservations are subject to availability and must be made in advance. Free Night award is valid for standard room accommodations and is available when standard rooms are available at the Hyatt Daily Rate. Standard rooms are defined by each hotel. Award stay is subject to the reservation requirement of an individual hotel, such as length of stay. Award reservation is subject to the cancellation policy of an individual location. Member recognition is at the discretion of the Hyatt Gold Passport program. Hyatt reserves the right to alter or withdraw this program at any time without notice. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts encompasses hotels managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Hyatt Hotels Corporation. The trademarks Hyatt, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Place, HYATT house, Hyatt Residence Club resorts, Hyatt Gold Passport and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation. © 2013 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.

Hyatt Gold Passport, you run one classy operation! Now to be honest I’m kind of surprised I’ve only stayed at 50 unique properties, but when I thought more about it I realized just how many properties I’ve visited over and over, so those don’t help.

But what an awesome surprise — thanks Hyatt!

1. December 14th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Mark said,

Part of the surprise and delight BS program that Hyatt has. I am well over 50 nights and never received this. These targeted gifts/promos just flat out stink.

2. December 14th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Colleen said,

Hey @Mark – his award is for 50 unique hotels visited. Are your 50+ at different properties?

3. December 14th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Abidjan said,

Very cool. Wish Hilton would do this.

4. December 14th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

tri n said,

Hey @Mark – did you read the post?
    Hey @Mark – calm down

5. December 14th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

JetAway said,

I received a twenty-five unique properties “Congrats” e-mail but there was no prize in the box. Just the e-mail. Rather lame but whatever. Hyatt is still my favorite chain hotel.

6. December 14th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Carl P said,

An unexpected gift for something after the fact is always great (granted not just an email). Once we feel we’ve “earned” something the “owed” reward doesn’t mean as much.

@Mark – You’ll drive yourself crazy if you worry about where everybody else stands or what they’re getting.

7. December 14th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

BOShappyflyer said,

That’s pretty awesome. Congrats (???) on staying on so many different properties. :)

8. December 14th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Mark said,

yeah whateer, to the rest of us that don’t get the luxury of staying so frequently…how about getting back to the real purpose of the bog to let us know how WE can earn some points.

9. December 14th, 2013 at 8:37 pm

James K. said,

Mark:

“TIPS, TRICKS, AND TRAVEL WITH LUCKY”

I think this falls under traveling with him. Though, truly, I think the purpose of his “bog” is to mummify corpses for thousands of years

10. December 14th, 2013 at 8:38 pm

hobo13 said,

Wow, I beat Lucky to 50 by several months! I guess there are only so many Park Hyatts for him to stay at…. meanwhile, I can tell you where every HP in the country is located, LOL!

So, what was your most RECENT Hyatt property?

11. December 14th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Whiskarina said,

i want Caroline’s job … Cyber Stalker / Secret Hyatt Santa…

12. December 15th, 2013 at 12:07 am

justSaying said,

Roll Over and give her 50 unique kisses………what a life………..

13. December 15th, 2013 at 12:57 am

AlastairDeacon said,

Congratulations, Ben! What a lovely surprise; Santa has come early for you. Hope you enjoy the treat.

14. December 15th, 2013 at 4:48 am

MilesFromBlighty said,

Many people have received this already, however there are a lot of people – me included, well over this number who have received nothing from Hyatt. No United Miles, no access to the credit card, no free Diamond status for a wrong email offer and now no free night. I guess it says how much they want MY business.

15. December 15th, 2013 at 6:15 am

avi said,

the most surprising thing here for me is that Luckys first stay was in 2010 and that it was at the andaz wall street (unless I’m reading it wrong and it was your first time at the andaz wall street, not your first time with hyatt)

16. December 15th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Josh G said,

Lucky, did you really start Hyatt in 2010? Pretty sure you have been going with them longer than that.

17. December 15th, 2013 at 7:47 am

Rahul said,

Nice going Lucky! I recommend PH Sydney….

18. December 15th, 2013 at 8:24 am

JL said,

“Milestones Curator” is definitely a candidate for most ridiculous job title ever.

19. December 15th, 2013 at 10:45 am

Robert Hanson said,

@ MilesFromBlighty I’d think a SM, FAcebook, or Twitter to Caroline that somehow Hyatt inadvertently missed your milestone, and surely wants to rectify that, might be a good way to go. ;)

20. December 15th, 2013 at 10:47 am

@ Josh G — Yep, before that I was almost exclusively loyal to InterContinental!

21. December 15th, 2013 at 11:58 am

Luis said,

now the question is, which property to cash in that free night??

22. December 15th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

@ Luis — Hopefully one of the new category seven Park Hyatts!

23. December 15th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

HansGolden said,

Does anyone know if they count award nights toward the 50 unique?

24. December 15th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

@ HansGolden — Yep, they sure did for me (generously enough)!

25. December 15th, 2013 at 10:59 pm

IFlyFromPHX said,

Several months back I wrote an email to the milestone curator at Hyatt. I did so because I have stayed at 80 + unique Hyatt properties. (And counting – at a new one today). They said thank you for your interest (and loyalty) but we cannot offer you anything today…this is not a formal program or something to that effect.

Many people have posted on flyertalk of similar experiences with this program…and inconsistently rewarding people.