On Thursday I wrote about IHG Rewards Club bringing back their “Big Win” promotion in 2014, for stays made January 1 through April 30, 2014. This was the promotion they ran for the first time last year, and a rather unique one since it offered members targeted bonuses for completing certain “tasks.” In theory I suppose offering targeted promotions is the future of loyalty programs, assuming it doesn’t come at the expense of alienating frequent customers (which is often what happens with targeted promotions, since loyalty programs feel they don’t need to reward already frequent customers as much when offering targeted promotions — and there’s definitely some truth to that).

Anyway, while IHG Rewards Club had revealed the basics of the promotion on Thursday, the website didn’t go live till this morning. If you go to this page and enter your IHG Rewards Club number and password you can see your “Big Win” offers for this year.

IHG-Big-Win-1

My “Big Win” promotion is for a total of 107,700 IHG Rewards Club points, which are earned as follows:

• Stay more and earn — stay a total of 7 nights and earn 9,200 points
  • Explore our brands — stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 17,600 points
  • Start the day off right — book 1 stay through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points
  • Survey the win — complete a simple survey and earn 100 points
  • IHG mobile app booking — Book 3 separate stays through our IHG app and earn 5,600 points
  • Stay smart — stay at two Holiday Inn hotels and earn 8,000 points
  • Authentic experiences — stay at three InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and earn 11,200 points
  • Win big — complete seven of your offers and earn 54,000 points

So this has the potential to be a really lucrative promotion. If I stayed a total of seven nights — two at Holiday Inns, three at InterContinentals, and at least one at another brand, I’d qualify for the maximum bonus. 107,700 bonus points for seven nights is a total of over 15,000 bonus points per night, which is extremely generous.

IHG-Big-Win-2

I’m still not sure if I’ll go for it or not. I kind of have my hands full with Hyatt and Starwood. I was an InterContinental Royal Ambassador member for years, though one of my biggest frustrations with redeeming points in the program is that you don’t technically get elite benefits on reward nights, which isn’t especially “rewarding” if you ask me. Regardless, it’s likely to be the most generous promotion of the quarter, and can definitely be worth “mattress running” for.

What does your “Big Win” promotion look like?

1. December 14th, 2013 at 8:34 am

Larry D said,

I got “The big Loser” prize. My wife and I each only got the opportunity to “win” 31,000 points. We seldom use Intercontinental properties, so I’m wondering if that’s why. Lucky, have you stayed at a lot of Holiday Inns / intercontinentals?

2. December 14th, 2013 at 8:45 am

mo said,

I am really frustrated to see members who dont stay as often as i do receive a better offer than me,please dont tell me its based on my previous activities,i already spend 65 nights this year my royal status been renewed,accumulated more than 300000points and my new offer is totalling 65000 while my last one which i achieved was 72000,this is really alienating top member and i am not interested in the new offer at all.

3. December 14th, 2013 at 9:00 am

Shannon said,

My offer is 54,000. Not even worth it to do mattress run. Will pass!

4. December 14th, 2013 at 9:28 am

Amanda s said,

Mine is 94k. I got the 2013 goal for 80k just with my normal travel with one inexpensive mattress run.

5. December 14th, 2013 at 9:58 am

Gary72 said,

I must hold the record…My offer is for the grand total of 10,000 points. Not worth the time or effort…

6. December 14th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Craig said,

Mine was for 72,300.
    Doubt I’d be able to hit it — I travel infrequently for business and most of my vacation travel is booked on existing points.

7. December 14th, 2013 at 10:38 am

Buddy M. said,

You have the potential to get quite a few more points than the offer states. On the previous “Big Win” promotion I was targeted for about 75K points but I also signed up for as many other IHG promos as I could find and I ended up getting around 105K points for about $250 in spend for 4 nights at their hotels. Pretty good return for my time and money.

8. December 14th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hobo13 said,

For the current big win, I got 107k for an easy 5 nights. Y cities were NYC and my hometown. I got it all done for about 400 including some nights I actually needed.

And to reward me for gaming? I get another easy win. 107k, 5 nights, two HI and 2 HIX. Looks really easy.

Maybe it’s time to tell Hyatt where to shove it….

9. December 14th, 2013 at 10:47 am

Dima said,

@lucky
    Have you decided whether you will live in hotels now? In this case you can live mattress running, just for different hotel chains :)

10. December 14th, 2013 at 10:52 am

steve said,

does “two Holiday Inn hotels” include HI Express or HI & Suites?

11. December 14th, 2013 at 11:13 am

Cal P said,

82,300 and NO Intercontinental stays (yeah).

One question is the Holiday Inn stays. In The T&C it says Holiday Inn Express rather than Holdiday Inn. I called to clarify and they said they hadn’t seen detail yet and would call back.

I do have to do 10 nights, but that’s not a problem.

12. December 14th, 2013 at 11:38 am

Nick said,

My offer is:

Stay a total of 8 nights and earn 9,600 points. I’m not sure if I will complete this one.

Stay at 3 different IHG brands and earn 11,200 points. Easy, I will probably do this one.

Book 1 stays through the Best Flexible Rate with Breakfast and earn 2,000 points. Easy, I will do this one.

Stay 2 Saturday nights and earn 8,000 points. Very possible.

Book and pay for 1 stay with your IHG® Rewards Club credit card and receive 1,500 points. Easy, I will do this one.

Stay at 4 Holiday Inn hotels and earn 6,400 points. Not sure on this one.

Stay at 3 Holiday Inn Express® hotels and earn 5,600 points. Not sure on this one.

Complete 7 of your offers and earn 44,000 points. Don’t think it is going to happen. But I should score maybe between 14700 – 22700.

I think this is just an “OK” promo, similar to the one going on now.

13. December 14th, 2013 at 11:53 am

Bill said,

My offer is for a whopping 10,500 points! Sigh. I did have an offer of 105,000 points in the last Big Win and did hit that, so maybe that’s causing me to have a smaller offer now.

14. December 14th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

derek said,

My offer is for 137,500 points which can be accomplished in a minimum of 14 stays.

15. December 14th, 2013 at 1:07 pm

The Global Traveller said,

One of my targets is broken.

“views.dashboard.offer.r.title” could mean anything

16. December 14th, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Zvi said,

Last year’s offer was a nice 127K, which I’ve completed.
    This year, I got an average 80K, which I am not sure I’d complete.

17. December 14th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

@ Dima — I do plan on doing that, though only starting mid-April. Maybe that’s where I should start my hotel living, then. :)

18. December 14th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

@ steve — Typically they’re considered different brands for these types of promotions, though I can’t find the exact T&Cs for it at the moment unfortunately.

19. December 14th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

yyzatcqq said,

My total would be 69,500.

I wonder if my stay at the IC Tahiti and IC Moorea will count since they are booked through a tour company…

On a side note… Lucky, do you know if they’d honour RA benefits? I’m trying to decide if it is worth getting a cert before our trip. The one night at IC Tahiti won’t be worth it, but 3 nights at IC Moorea in an overwater bungalow might be worth it (I’m an AMB now).

20. December 14th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Michael M said,

I got 31,000 requiring at least 5 nights, three of which have to be Saturdays.

21. December 14th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Nick said,

198,000 points. 99,000 for completing the promo. I booked the Intercontinental Phnom Penh in July at the points break price and no other stays.

22. December 14th, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Nick said,

Lucky, there are flaws with the release of this promo having to do with the terms, pictures, and captions for the “Stay Smart” module and the “Change your View” module…
    The “Stay Smart” terms – I would imagine that the terms are incorrect, as they show a Holiday Inn (and not an HIE) in the picture. Terms state,
    “Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn Express® hotels hotels [there is even a typo here, repeating the word HOTELS 2X] worldwide. A stay is defined as…”
    Also on the “Change your View” section of the promo it is showing an HIE in the picture, however on the terms it specifically is stating “Holiday Inn” and not HIE,
    “Must be an IHG® Rewards Club member and must register member number in advance to participate in this promotion. Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn® hotels hotels [again the typo, repeating the word HOTELS 2X] worldwide. A stay is defined as…”
    So to sum it all up, either the pics were placed incorrectly for the two sections entitled, “Stay Smart” and “Change your View” or the terms were. But IHG has screwed up even further than that. I open up the section that says “Stay Smart” and the headline reads “Change your View”. Then I open up the section on “Change your View” and the headline reads, “Stay Smart.” All of the other modules open up with the correct headline. IHG really didn’t proof this before they released it…IMHO.
    I’m wondering is it like this for everyone or just for me?

23. December 15th, 2013 at 4:59 am

Vicky said,

Mine is total rubbish. 39k for 8 nights including staying at some US specific properties which is ridiculous when I am in Europe. Oh well, big nugget for IHG this quarter. Will take my 30+ nights in Q1 and focus on requalifying for Plat with SPG.

24. December 15th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Lisa said,

My last offer was crap and completely not possible with cities nowhere near where I would be before year end. This one is much better, with no specific cities. I got the 2 Holiday Inn stays, 2 Saturdays and 6 nights total. Pay with the card, book with the app. Up to 89,900 (couldn’t they have tossed in the 100 point survey to make it a nice 90k?). This one I may go for.

25. December 15th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

homerica7 said,

64,200 points after 6 nights. Less than my last Big Win offer, but this time it is doable. My last Big Win required stays in Japan or Australia, probably because I had an Intercontinental stay in Japan earlier that year. Not too exciting.

26. December 15th, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Charlie said,

150,100 for only 4 nights!!! This will be done very quickly. Can’t beat this offer!

27. December 15th, 2013 at 10:30 pm

AC said,

wondering if anyone is in same situation as me. i’m just a lowly club member without any recent stays. but i just got the IHG cc and should be upgrade to plat soon as soon as statement closes (dec/15). if i wait until after i become platinum member and register for big win do you think i’ll get a better offer? my previous offer for Q4 2013 was garbage only like 50k points total. thanks in advance

28. December 16th, 2013 at 10:07 am

Jessica said,

Mine is pretty similar to last time – again I can complete in 4 nights and again for 78,000 points:

- Stay total 4 nights for 12,000
    - Stay at 2 different Holiday Inn hotels for 12,000
    - Book two separate stays via the IHG app for 12,000 points
    - Book one stay at Best Flex Rate with Breakfast for 3,000 points
    - Complete all 4 tasks and get 39,000 points

Last time I only once had to pick to stay at a HIE instead of another hotel – the other two hotels were picked for me – so we’ll see if I have it work out again. I used most of the points I was awarded right away for 3 free nights this month so I’m liking the almost buy one night get one free this offer has given me!

29. December 16th, 2013 at 10:40 am

Chelle Roberts (BrownGirlsFly) said,

Mine was pretty paltry 31,000 points but I could do it all in 3 Sat night stays. I’ve used all the bonus codes out there but maybe in 2014 some new ones will hit and I can double or triple this number. Without the bonus points, I’m not sure it’s worth it. I had a 50,100 offer for the Fall Big Win.

30. February 8th, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Ade said,

I manage to do all five or six and got all the 110 000 point on offer,had 2 go to Paris for a night just 2 make all the points,but it is worth it…

31. February 25th, 2014 at 7:42 am

Pat said,

I’m about halfway through completing my big win for jan-april 2014 and get a statement which did not reflect points for booking through ihg website which I did, had to call customer service a couple of times to find a rep who could even understand the issue- without completing that segment of the offer, you cannot get the Big Win- they are correcting the problem with IT and crediting me that segment for which I already qualified.