Hello from Prague! It’s my first time in the Czech Republic, and even though it’s winter and rainy, I love it. I was disappointed initially, since I feel like the internet kinda lied to me about the Czech Republic — apparently people here wear clothes as well… who knew (I’m kidding/I’ll explain the joke to you later, mom)?

Prague

After a pretty awesome stay at the Sheraton Edinburgh, which was probably the nicest Sheraton I’ve ever stayed at, I’m now at the Sheraton Prague, which is possibly the most… unique Sheraton I’ve ever stayed at.

So I really want to love the place since the employees are super friendly and I was proactively given a suite upgrade without even having to ask (which is rare). But it’s just one heck of a quirky hotel.

For one, the club lounge is located right next to the entrance and overlooking the street, which is the first time I’ve seen that. Nothing wrong with that, really…

Sheraton-Prague-3

The lounge then has a display of empty Veuve bottles, which is interesting since they don’t serve anything resembling Veuve in the lounge.

Sheraton-Prague-4

For a minute I figured maybe it was available for sale, since they are advertising, 1-3 course lunch menus in the lounge.

Sheraton-Prague-5

In terms of the evening spread, it makes US club lounge spreads look impressive. There was one hot option served in a jar. I’m still trying to figure out what exactly it was…

Sheraton-Prague-8

The hotel is at least incredibly consistent, if nothing else. Without exception all room service trays somehow end up in the hallway right by the elevators. And this is true across all floors.

Sheraton-Prague-1

Sheraton-Prague-7

Speaking of the elevator, unless you’re getting on at the lobby level you can only take it down. It would be a lot easier if I wasn’t traveling with friends that were staying on floors above me. So when you get in the elevator to go up a level you first have to go down and then up.

Sheraton-Prague-6

And to be clear, when I said lobby level, it’s important to note that the elevator isn’t actually in the lobby. Instead you have to pass through the back of the hotel’s restaurant to access the guest elevator.

Sheraton-Prague-2

The hotel hallways really feel like dorms, a feeling that was only strengthened when my friends checked into their room and smelled pot in the hallway. When they called down the front desk offered to look into it, and then they called back a few minutes later to apologize and say they spoke to the people staying next door and they promised they wouldn’t smoke pot in the room again.

So I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad hotel, just a very unique one…

PS: Here’s some trivia from an OCD person. How many times over a 24 hour period did something in this picture grab my eye and make me want to cry? The answer is ~42.

Sheraton-Prague-9

Like I said, at least the employees are friendly. Stay tuned for a full trip report shortly!

1. January 5th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Mike - Iflyalot said,

I hope the GM reads your full on trip report when you write it as the hotel simply looks very messy the way you discribe it and not up to Sheraton standard

2. January 5th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Tony said,

Your friends called the front desk because they smelled pot? Really?

3. January 5th, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Dima said,

That thing in the jar is a tongue if I’m not mistaken.

4. January 5th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Hong Kong Airline News said,

I think that if this is unique then Taichung Sheraton is downright eerie.

5. January 5th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

@ Tony — Yes, the hallway REEKED of pot. It wasn’t just a slight odor or anything.

6. January 5th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Hong Kong Airline News said,

@ lucky – That’s very unpleasant.

I don’t mean to be picky, but it’s reeked not wreaked.

7. January 5th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Carl said,

We stayed there last year… as there are no other SPG or Hyatt options. I’d agree it doesn’t really feel like a Sheraton at all, and probably should be branded as a W instead. The lounge offerings were rather skimpy for an international hotel. There also wasn’t enough seating at breakfast, and the staff weren’t very prompt at clearing when someone left.

The rooms themselves were fine, and we started using the stairs, which felt like an pre-elevator apartment building, which is probably what the building was before being converted to a hotel.

We didn’t find the location to very convenient, and the immediate neighborhood is just kind of depressing. It didn’t feel dangerous, just not very pleasant.

Of course since Praha is pretty compact it was only about a ten minute walk to the start of the tourist areas.

I will say that Praha has gotten much more tourist oriented than the last time I was there (maybe 15 years ago) and it has lost some charm as a result. It’s almost on a par with Venice as being a tourist factory.

8. January 5th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

@ Hong Kong Airline News — Whoops, I blame jetlag. Thanks!

9. January 5th, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Cecilie said,

I’m sorry to inform you, that I believe the hot meal option in the lounge is in fact cattle tongue.

10. January 5th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Thomas said,

Stayed here last week over Christmas and did not see any trays laying around. We had two rooms one standard one and one duplex Suite which was very nice.

There is an elevator next to the club lounge as well. As for the club lounge the spread was very weak indeed but at least they serve free beer and wine which cannot be said to most US club Lounges. However in a city where a pint of beer can be had for less than 75Euro Cents hanging around in the club lounge is a bit of a waste of time anyway.

Be sure to get a Goulash Soup in Bread from a restaurant not in the main tourist area. Its really good!

11. January 5th, 2014 at 1:46 pm

Yves said,

The thing in the jar is calf tongue. I imagine it has no flavor, because if you just boil it in water, it ends up with the same color as the one in your picture.

12. January 5th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

CP@YOW said,

Sad to see the quality of the lounge go downhill. I was there 2 years ago and remember the food being decent — not an overly huge selection because it’s such a small lounge, but tasty.

13. January 5th, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Ben said,

Crooked tv bother you?

14. January 5th, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Nick said,

So no Bel Ami cast members wandering around the streets?

15. January 5th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Mark said,

I hate to say it, but…sometimes you just need to not stay in corporate chain hotels, even if you would be missing out on points…there are so many wonderful places to stay in Prague The Hotel Josef for example is right up your alley, modern high design very well run fabulous breakfast and often under a $100 a night and it’s part of design hotels (still no points tho). Otherwise the Mandarin and Four Season both have places, but are needless to say very expensive. Check out Sansho for dinner great seasonal local foods with a twist (often an Asian twist…so good) Enjoy!

16. January 5th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Dimitri said,

@Mark I agree with you 100%

17. January 5th, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Dave said,

We stayed at the Buddha Bar Hotel at the end of August. Very cool.

18. January 5th, 2014 at 5:56 pm

katinett said,

It’s tongue! You can eat it cold or warm with melted butter on top.

19. January 5th, 2014 at 5:59 pm

katinett said,

It does taste good. It just sounds bad.

20. January 5th, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Gil said,

Haha Nick you beat me to it.

21. January 5th, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Dan said,

@Lucky

When I was in Prague, I stayed at the Radisson Blu Alcorn, on a pair of two night stays courtesy of Club Carlson. The place was “fine.” By that, I mean a standard room is a standard room.

22. January 5th, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Jorge said,

@Mark +100

I stayed at the K+K hotel, a small chain of very nice hotels ( think it is an Austrian chain ). Usually I skip the American hotels in Eastern Europe. They have no charm, even though they are locally owned. Plus I never transfer UR/MR for hotel stays.

For those interested in Bel Ami (LOL !!) sorry but they are based in Bratislava, Slovakia, not Prague.

23. January 5th, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Andrew said,

This is very surprising indeed. My partner and I stayed here two years ago (summer 2011) and it was very nice. The lounge was stocked with lots of food and beverages. The staff went out of their way to assist. Never saw trays on the floors. The GM was German – very nice.
    Sad to see it has downgraded .

24. January 5th, 2014 at 11:07 pm

Stvr said,

Hilton Prague. Hilton Prague. HILTON PRAGUE!

Incredible Exec Lounge.

25. January 6th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Ivan Y said,

Out of the three European cities I visited on my last trip, Prague was the only one where I didn’t end up staying at a Starwood property despite spending most nights there and being SPG Platinum (stayed at Hotel Bristol in Vienna and Four Points in Zurich).

Ended up paying cash and staying at Hotel Maximilian (sister property to Hotel Josef mentioned in #15). Rooms aren’t huge but they have very nice breakfast, a business center, a spa and the location is amazing for exploring tourist areas (IMHO, it’s preferable to be on that side of the river). And you can even get a goldfish in your room! (Best to ask in advance).

If you fancy fine dining, Maximilian is also next door a Michelin-starred La Degustation Bohême Bourgeoise; the only other Michelin restaurant in Prague is Alcron at Radisson Blu Alcron.

Now, to give Sheraton its due, my relatives in Prague didn’t say anything negative about the area around the hotel or its location – just not as convenient as some other places.

26. January 6th, 2014 at 8:54 am

Ivan Y said,

P.S. Last tip for those looking at Prague hotels — generally you want to be in Praha 1 for all the touristy stuff.

P.P.S. Highly recommend visiting the light show at Křižík’s Fountain while you are in Prague.

27. January 6th, 2014 at 11:24 am