I often rave about SPG Starpoints, as I find the points to be incredibly valuable for hotel stays, and really appreciate how versatile Starwood points are in general.

One of the great lesser-known benefits of the Starwood Preferred Guest program is actually the ability to transfer points to another member of your household. I’m frequently asked questions about the transferability of SPG Starpoints, including:

• Can you transfer SPG points between accounts?
  • Can you transfer SPG points from your account to a mileage account in someone else’s name?

Many people aren’t aware that Starpoints can actually be transferred between accounts, assuming the accounts are registered at the same addresses. To be clear, there’s no requirement to have the same last name or be related, but you must have the same address on file with Starwood, and they must have matched for 30 days.

How to transfer SPG Starpoints

There are two ways to make a transfer:

If you choose to fill out the online form you’ll first have to log-in into your account. Then you’ll be prompted to enter the number of points you want to transfer, and the SPG number and last name on file for the account you want to transfer points to.

Starwood-Points-Transfer

Terms of transferring Starpoints

In order to be eligible for a household transfer the accounts must have been registered at the same address for 30 days. This is an important distinction, as even if you want to transfer SPG points to your spouse you have to have had the same addresses listed for 30 days.

The transfer can take up to five business days, though in practice is usually complete within a few days — it’s never instant, though.

While technically accounts only have to be registered at the same address for 30 days to be eligible, I wouldn’t recommend abusing this. In other words if you change addresses every 31 days you can expect they’ll request verification of your address.

Why is transferring Starpoints between accounts a valuable option?

There are lots of benefits to being able to transfer Starpoints between accounts:

• Top off an account so you have enough for an award. Perhaps this is the single most obvious benefit. If you want to redeem for a free night award that will cost 20,000 Starpoints and have two accounts with 10,000 Starpoints each, transferring the points would give you enough for that redemption.
  • Taking advantage of elite status. Say my dad and I want to take a trip together and redeem Starpoints for the stay. I’m a Starwood Platinum member while he isn’t. If he transferred the points to my account we would get Starwood Platinum benefits for the stay, and can even use a Suite Night Award to confirm an upgrade in advance.
  • To make airline transfers. One of the best uses of Starpoints is converting them into airline miles. They can be transferred at a 1:1 ratio, and for every 20,000 Starpoints you transfer you get a 5,000 point bonus, meaning you’re really earning 1.25 miles per dollar spent. See below for an additional section on this specifically.

How to use this to fully take advantage of airline transfers

For me the single best use of the household family transfer option is for maximizing airline transfers. Almost everyone in my family has Starpoints thanks to the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Card from American Express.

So the first major benefit I get out of household transfers is that if one of my parents need to convert points into miles, they’ll transfer them to one of my airline accounts where I have elite status, so that they can avoid change and ticketing fees.

Furthermore, being able to transfer points between SPG accounts is great for being able to transfer to airline programs in “round” numbers. Starpoints convert into airline miles at a 1:1 ratio, and you get a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred.

Say for example my mom has 15,000 Starpoints while my dad has 25,000 Starpoints. If my mom converted those 15,000 Starpoints into airline miles she’d get just 15,000 airline miles. If my dad converted those 25,000 Starpoints into airline miles he’d get 30,000 miles (considering the 5,000 point bonus). That’s a total of 45,000 miles.

If instead they transferred 40,000 Starpoints over at once that would get them 50,000 miles, since they’d be transferring in increments of 20,000, so there’s potentially a huge value in being able to pool the SPG points.

Similarly, if you only have one SPG account, and want to top off multiple airline accounts to redeem miles for a family vacation, you can transfer SPG points to each person, and then transfer directly to their airline account. Again, it’s worth keeping in mind that any account you want to transfer to has to be open and registered at the same address for that 30 day minimum, so if you anticipate needing to transfer points to your household members it’s probably a good idea to open the account in advance.

What other questions can I answer about transferring SPG points?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I earn a referral bonus for anyone approved through the above links. All are for the best available offers. Thanks for your support!)

1. January 30th, 2014 at 11:46 am

Brent said,

Your account can be audited. They typically ask for a photo copy of both account holders DL’s.

2. January 30th, 2014 at 12:27 pm

flo said,

Is this a way to avoid expiry of points?

3. January 30th, 2014 at 12:28 pm

@ flo — Yep, indeed! Great point.

4. January 30th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Andy said,

@Lucky,
    Thanks a lot. Great advice!

May I directly transfer my spg points into my wife’s US Airways account? Does SPG compare the name verus airline account’s name?
    Thanks,
    Andy

5. January 30th, 2014 at 1:03 pm

@ Andy — No, you can’t. You’d first have to transfer to your SPG account and then to your US Airways account, as the names have to match.

6. January 30th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Andy said,

@Lucky,
    my wife does not have a starwood account. Does Starwood offer some referral program so that I can earn bonus points when my future reservation is booked via my wife’s account? Marriott has, I know, 2,000 pts per stay for both parties, up to 10,000 pts.

7. January 30th, 2014 at 1:07 pm

@ Andy — Unfortunately there’s no such bonus at the moment that I know of.

8. January 30th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Ivan Y said,

I think for our two accounts transfers took 5-7 calendar days, so I’d recommend doing it in advance (just like SPG->airline transfers which aren’t instant either).

9. January 30th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Dimitri said,

I transferred 5k points to my wife’s US acct, and it did post, even though SPG said it will bounce back.

10. January 30th, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Andy said,

@Dimitri,
    Was your wife’s account openned 30 days before you transferred spg pts?

11. January 30th, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Juan Pedro said,

I think that it is worth mentioning that the transfer to United Mileage Plus has a 2 to 1 ratio.

12. January 30th, 2014 at 4:32 pm

Juan Pedro said,

Frequent Flyer Program > United Mileage Plus

Exchange Ratio (Starpoints : Miles)> 2:1

13. January 30th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Andy said,

@Lucky,
    I just opened my wife’s SPG account today (1/30/14). Do I have to wait until 3/2/14 to request transfer spg points from my acocunt into her account, or can I start requesting the transfer on 2/24/14, 7 days before 3/2/2014? Thanks,
    Andy

14. January 30th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

@ Andy — You do have to wait 30 days unfortunately.

15. January 30th, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Tom said,

Lucky, you mentioned the account names have to match when going from SPG to an airline account. I have a suffix in my name (Jr) and not all my frequent flyer accounts have the suffix (just depends on if the airline had the suffix option when I registered – not all did many years ago). Would this present a problem for SPG transfers to my airline accounts and if so is there anything I could do to prevent it?

16. January 30th, 2014 at 10:20 pm

@ Tom — I have no firsthand experience with that specifically, but I would imagine that would be fine.

17. January 31st, 2014 at 8:03 am

Dimitri said,

@Andy I guess I was not clear enough: I transferred my SPG points straight to my wife’s US Air acct and it went through.
    @Tom nothing to worry about