The Alaska Airlines Signature Visa Card seems to be running a 40,000 mile sign-up bonus, which at least in theory is targetted at elite Mileage Plan members. The card offers 25,000 bonus miles upon approval, and an additional 15,000 bonus miles after spending $10,000 within six months of the account opening date.

Alaska-Airlines-Visa-Card-101

Now before we talk about the value of the offer, there are a few things to keep in mind about this card:

• You can earn the sign-up bonus on this card multiple times, and there’s not even a need to close an existing card before opening a new one. Don’t even ask how many of these I have.
  • I love that the first 25,000 miles post upon account approval. In each case I’ve received the bonus miles before even receiving the card in the mail.
  • Even though offers on this card are often “targeted,” I’ve never seen them actually follow through on that.
  • The card comes with a $118+ companion certificate, which I value immensely. I’m an Alaska flyer and their companion certificates are great since the companion is still eligible for upgrades, mileage accrual, etc. The only restriction is that you can’t outright book a first class fare using a companion certificate (they ended the ability to do this back in 2012).

To put this offer into context of other recent offers on this card:

• In June 2013 they offered a 30,000 mile sign-up bonus upon account approval.
  • In December 2013 they offered a 50,000 mile sign-up bonus, with 25,000 miles upon account approval and another 25,000 miles after spending $1,000 within 90 days. Interestingly the terms of this offer specifically excluded those that had the card in the past 12 months, though in practice that wasn’t enforced.

So this isn’t the best offer we’ve seen on the card, but at the same time I’d say that Alaska miles are one of the most valuable mileage currencies out there right now, given that you can efficiently redeem on Cathay Pacific and Emirates for one-way awards, and they even allow stopovers on one-way awards. Furthermore, taking advantage of this offer most likely doesn’t preclude you from taking advantage of any future offers on the card.

But still, there are lots of other places to direct big spend, like the 100,000 mile Citi Executive AAdvantage Card sign-up bonus. So unless you’re a huge credit card spender this probably isn’t worth it.

(Tip of the hat to The Points Guy)

1. January 31st, 2014 at 7:59 am

David said,

How much time do you let pass before re-applying for this card?

2. January 31st, 2014 at 8:18 am

Lindsay said,

When you apply for a new card, do you put your existing mileage account number on the application? Or do you leave it blank, get assigned a new mileage account number, and then merge the accounts?
    Thanks!

3. January 31st, 2014 at 8:45 am

@ David — I’d ideally wait at least a couple of months, though I also know people that have applied closer together.

4. January 31st, 2014 at 8:46 am

@ Lindsay — Nope, you just put the same Mileage Plan number on the reservation.

5. January 31st, 2014 at 8:59 am

Lauren said,

Surprised you haven’t thought of this! haha

6. January 31st, 2014 at 9:37 am

Joe said,

@Lucky it appears that the last 15,000 bonus is only available to Alaska Air Elite Members. T & C mention you have to be MVP, MVP Gold or MVP 75k to receive bonus miles.

This may or may not be true in practice, but its something to be aware of.

7. January 31st, 2014 at 11:34 am

Robert Hanson said,

Since the first 25K is automatic upon approval, another way to look at this offer is: 15K miles for $10K in spend.

So even if “you’re a huge credit card spender” this still isn’t worth it. :(

Of course getting the card itself is well worth it. Just don’t bother with the additional spend. Lots of better places to put that spend IMO.

8. January 31st, 2014 at 11:39 am

Steven said,

Another 30k no spend offer.

9. January 31st, 2014 at 11:41 am

DaninSTL said,

Nice post. I didn’t know I could churn these that much.
    To me I wouldn’t put that much spend on this card unless I flew Alaska as my normal carrier which it isn’t for me. I value my current card but the companion pass is weak to me since I can’t’ use it outside of coach seating. I also don’t have status with Alaska so not as much value to me sadly.

10. January 31st, 2014 at 11:55 am

HoKo said,

Any idea of BofA’s willingness to bump the bonus for people that applied recently using crappier offers?

11. January 31st, 2014 at 11:55 am

Question: Best way to earn 100k Alaska Miles by Fall? - FlyerTalk Forums said,

[…] for the credit card, AS is offering a bonus of 15k miles with $10k in spend in first 6 months. http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati…minimum-spend/ __________________ 2013 YTD BIS: AS 51,243 | AS+Others 353,105 My Flight […]

12. January 31st, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Steven said,

Pardon, here’s the link:

13. January 31st, 2014 at 12:21 pm

@ Steven — Thanks for the heads up, thought that deal was dead!