Finally! The US’s largest domestic carrier now joins TSA Pre-check effective today. It is unclear how soon passengers will have access to use the lines in each airport. I received my invite to join the program from Southwest today though I am already a TSA Pre member. You can view full information on Southwest’s site here.
Per Southwest’s site, Southwest Airlines has partnered with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to participate in TSA PreCheck, a pre-screening initiative that allows a select group of passengers the ability to move through security checkpoints with greater efficiency and ease when traveling.
Who Is Eligible?
Southwest Passengers that are eligible for TSA PreCheck include:
- U.S. Citizens who are members of a Customs and Border Patrol Trusted Traveler program, including Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS
- Canadian Citizens who are members of NEXUS
- U.S Citizens who are Rapid Rewards® Members that the TSA deems eligible and opt-in to participate in the program
- U.S. Citizens who have applied and been approved for the TSA PreCheck™ Application Program*
- In addition, accompanying passengers 12 and younger are allowed through TSA PreCheck lanes when traveling with eligible passengers (parent or guardian).
How Does It Work?
When a Rapid Rewards Member receives notification that he/she is eligible to opt-in to the program and chooses to participate or a passenger includes a Known Traveler Number within a reservation, Southwest Airlines will share certain information with the TSA Secure Flight System.
Note: Only reservations booked after opting-in are eligible for TSA PreCheck.
Us Southwest flyers were deprived for a long time from using the TSA Pre line. This is a very welcome change for us.