Delta gives their most valued members the ability to select a “Choice Benefit” at the end of each year. The selections range from bonus points, retail gift certificates, airline certificates, upgrades, and the ability to gift another member status.
Delta Diamond members have the ability to gift Gold status while Platinum members have the ability to gift Silver status. You can see the full list of benefits here, but the key benefits of Silver status in my mind are the following:
- Unlimited complimentary upgrades (clear 1 day prior to departure)
- Unlimited access to preferred seats
- Discounted economy comfort seats on domestic and international flights
- Earn 25% mileage bonus on flights
- Waived baggage fees
- Priority check-in and boarding
- SPG Crossover rewards
So Silver status can be rewarding as a base level status, but not nearly as nice as Gold, Platinum, Diamond or Delta 360.
How To Gift Delta Silver Status
So how do you gift Delta silver status? Simple. Follow these steps:
1. Earn Delta Platinum Status
The Delta Reserve card comes with MQMs after meeting initial spending requirements and then bonus MQMs can be earned and gifted after meeting further spending requirements.
Once you earn Delta Platinum status, proceed to the next step.
2. Navigate To Delta’s Choice Benefit Website
You can see your eligible Choice Benefit selection options by going to the Delta website here. A list of options will be displayed.
3. Make Your Selection
Make your Delta choice benefit selection, enter your companion’s information and click continue.
4. Confirm Your Selection
After you are sure and have made your selection, you will be prompted to confirm your selection to be double sure this is what you would like to chose.
Gifting Gold or Silver Medallion Status to a Companion:
- When will the status be effective?
Gifted Medallion status will be effective within 2 weeks and membership credentials should arrive within 3 weeks.
- How long will the gifted status be good for?
For selections made for 2013 Choice Benefits, companion status is good through February 28, 2014; for selections made for 2014 Choice Benefits, companion status is good through February 28, 2015; for selections made for 2015 Choice Benefits, companion status is good through January 31, 2016.
The ability to gift Silver or even Gold status is a neat benefit of the Delta program. It’s a nice feeling when you get the chance to gift status to a friend, or a reader of your blog.
Keep an eye out for a gift from Santa Claus in the coming days…Ho Ho Ho!
- How I Earned 60,000 Delta MQMs Without Flying
- Last Minute MQMs With Delta–End Of Year Earning Options
- Delta Selling Medallion Qualifying Miles
- How To Link Travel Programs To American Express Membership Rewards Program
- How To Transfer American Express Membership Rewards To Travel Programs
- Earning Delta Platinum Elite Status The Easy Way
- Full Flat Business Elite Seat 1D On Delta’s 767 Domestic Route
- Delta’s Domestic Flat Bed Business Elite Seat 8C From Atlanta to New York
- Another Domestic Delta Lie-Flat Route For 767
- How To Display Delta’s Lowest Award Results
- Lots Of Delta Low Award Availability To Tokyo For New Years
- Delta 777 Flat-Bed Business Class Review – Atlanta To Los Angeles
- Delta 767 Flat-Bed Business Elite – Another Day Another Domestic Flight With International Business Class
- Good Advice When Canceling A Delta Award Ticket As Platinum Member
- Delta DC9-50 First Class Happy Hour & Upgrade Lottery
- Denver – Delta 757 Domestic First Class 1A
- Jacksonville – “Not All Champagne Wishes” Delta Flight in Coach
- Los Angeles – Delta 777 Flight in Business Elite from Atlanta
- Los Angeles – Delta A330 Flight in Business Elite to Atlanta
- Los Angeles – Delta’s “Other Transcon” Service – 777 Business Elite From Los Angeles
- New York – Delta 757 Business Elite Seat
- New York – Delta 767 Old Business Elite Seat
- New York – Delta 767 Old Business Elite Review
- New York – Delta First Class from Newark to Atlanta
- Brussels – Delta new lie-flat Business Class
- Brussels – Delta 767 with new lie-flat Business Class review
- Delta – How to get a free extra one-way on an award ticket
- Delta – Illustration on how to get a free extra one-way award ticket
- Delta – How to book one-way award tickets on Delta operated flights
- Delta – How to get free checked bags for friends of Elite members on split reservations
- Delta – Dedicated routes with lie-flat seats in Business Class
- Delta – Add your birthday into your account for a present
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to French Polynesia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class tickets to Seychelles
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Australia
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Shanghai
- Delta – A demonstration on how to use your Delta SkyMiles for business class to Tokyo
- Delta – Booking Delta’s one-way 90k business class award to Asia
- Delta – Book your flight to greatly increase your upgrade changes and ride in style
- Delta – How to get access to the Delta Sky Club even if you are not on a Delta ticket
- Delta – How to keep up with the latest celebrity gossip on Delta Airlines for free with gogo wifi
- Delta – Track your bags throughout your journey with mobile bag tracking
- Delta – Earning miles on the TGV train in Europe; don’t make this mistake
- Delta – How to check the upgrade lists before you fly to ensure you are on the free upgrade list
- Delta – How To Gift Delta Medallion Qualifying Miles
- Delta – Your Upgrade Is Now Confirmed – And How To Check Your Upgrade Priority Level
- Delta – How To Get Low Level Delta Award On Cross Country Flights (The Hard Way)
- Delta – Earn Delta status without flying