Yesterday I outlined my 8 credit card applications last Friday.
Here are the results.
No applications auto-approved, all went to some form of pending.
Bank of America:
- Alaska Airlines® Visa Signature® and Virgin Atlantic American Express®. Both went to pending, I was busy Friday afternoon and called reconsideration too late, so called Monday. By then Virgin was denied and Alaska pending. Agent immediately approved Virgin, no mention that I previously had the same card. Alaska she wanted more information and rather than issue a new card, offered to upgrade one of the three no fee cards I have with them from prior downgrades, including the old Schwab card. Both approved.
- Barclaycard ArrivalTM World Mastercard® and Lufthansa Miles & More MasterCard®. Both went from pending to denied over the weekend. In line with many recent reports, Barclays has gotten very tight and reconsideration would not budge. They were most concerned about overall number of recent accounts and want me to have a longer track record with existing Barclays accounts. Similar happened with my wife a month earlier for the Arrival even though she has only ever had one Barclays card, the US Airways, and that for a year. So I think it may be best early on to go for one big Barclays score like the 4 I got last December and then let them cool for a year or more.
- Fairmont Visa Signature® Credit Card went to pending, I discussed with an agent who got it approved by moving credit from an existing card. At least I thought so. A few days later I saw no update in my account and called back in. The agent said the computer thought it was the same card as the old Priority Club, now IHG Rewards, and it then took a supervisor to work it out.
- United MileagePlus® Explorer Business Card, I put in a courtesy call and was told they are so busy that I should expect to wait two weeks.
- The Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® went from application to offer for online chat to seek approval, which I did. The agent offered either a small line of credit or if I needed larger, to move some existing. I took the small line. I was told to wait 24 hours for final review “because of the extent of your relationship with Citi,” and the next day received an approval email.
- For the Discover it® Card I received an email asking me to call to verify my info, which I did that evening and was quickly approved.
Key lesson learned for me is to not bother with Barclays for at least another 6 months.
As always, your miles may vary.