News and Notes from around the interweb:
- Starwood and Delta introduced “Crossover Rewards” back in February. It was originally rumored that Starwood Platinums would receive space available upgrades on Delta but that benefit wasn’t included in the rollout.
It’s now official: Beginning September 12 Starwood Platinums registered with Crossover Rewards will be in the queue for space available upgrades at the gate, behind all eligible airline elite members (even behind Alaska’s elites). So don’t count on ever getting one, and don’t make your flying decisions based on this. But it’ll be a nice surprise for some if it happens.
- Back in January Delta announced that unless your account is based outside the US or you put $25,000 in spending on a co-branded Delta credit card, you’ll have to spend a minimum amount on Delta tickets in order to earn elite status beginning next year. As part of this change, Delta’s website now displays qualifying spend.
- While Qatar Airways won’t join oneworld until October 30th, you’ll apparently be able to start earning American AAdvantage miles when flying them and redeem American miles for Qatar awards beginning September 23.
- Air Canada is offering up to 15,000 bonus miles for logging a whole bunch of flights by November 30th: 12 segments earns 3000 bonus miles and 25 segments earns 15,000 miles. Registration is required.
- You can join the 30,000+ people who see these deals and analysis every day — sign up to receive posts by email (just one e-mail per day) or subscribe to the RSS feed. It’s free. Don’t miss out!