News and notes from around the interweb:
- United will no longer accept unaccompanied minors on connecting flights. Staffing connections is hard and they’ve only had a few decades of practice to get it right. #Ages5-11Unfriendly
- Garuda Indonesia will join Skyteam March 5. I look forward to redeeming Korean Air Skypass miles (transferred in from Chase Ultimate Rewards) for their first class suites! They fly their new product Jakarta – Sydney. Virgin Australia flies Bali – Sydney. Seems like I could put together a pretty good “Australia via Asia” business class award with Delta miles, too.
- US Airways will still partner with several Star Alliance airlines after they exit the alliance March 30th. Odds on it will still be possible to redeem US Airways miles for travel on Aegean, Air China, Air New Zealand, Avianca, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, TAM, TAP and Turkish Airways — but my bet is that it will not be possible to combine more than one of these partners (or these partners and oneworld partners) on a single award.
- IHG’s “Big Win” promotion had an ‘oops’ – one of the requirements for points was ‘stay smart’ .. branding related to Holiday Inn Express. The promo requirements listed Holiday Inn stays, however (IHG gets confused by all of their brands, too!). Apparently they are ‘fixing’ the error by changing the requirements that people have to earn points. Some people will still have Holiday Inn stays (and a new name for the requirement), others are going to have to stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels. There’s no notification of members that I’m aware of. Seems like they ought to honor the promotion as advertised, actually.
- 300 free La Quinta points for joining their military program.