After my post, last Wednesday, about the students who flew home ill from Chile last week, thought I would share some tips to stay well. Getting sick is part of the joys of travel, so be prepared! Feel free to add your suggestions.
- Get all appropriate vaccinations for the area you are travelling to
- Get your up to date flu vaccination
- Make sure you have appropriate travel insurance coverage
- Take a travel-size bottle of hand sanitizer
- Carry medication for headaches, toothaches (it can happen) and diarrhea
- Have mosquito repellant
- I drink a fresh squeezed juice before an international flight
- When flying, pack some healthy snacks eg a couple of apples, a packet of raisins etc (watch quanarneitne regulations)
- Stay hydrated when flying- . I ask for an orange juice and a water with no ice at every opportunity I get.
- Get up and walk around the plane every two to three hours
- Do those “silly” stretching exercises to avoid DVT. you might look strange but DVT is a terrible, terrible thing
- I bought a face mask during the SARS crisis, wore it once and never again!
- Order your drinks without ice as it can be made from dubious water sources
- Check the tap water is safe before rinsing your mouth or your toothbrush when you’re brushing your teeth
- Boiling water at a rolling boil for 90 seconds then let it cool slowly to remove parasites and contaminations.
- Commercially available iodine or chlorine tablets can kill bacteria and viruses in water
- Eat nutritious food especially on a longer trip. Balance fresh fruit, vegetables, carbs and proteins
- Watch fresh vegetables carefully. See if they look fresh and what they have been washed in
- I eat street food but I do glance to see how fresh the food is, what the customer base is like. I actually have got more ill from rtestuiarajnts than from street vendors
- I avoid buffets
- If you get a tummy bug, eat bananas and yoghurt. It helps!
- Give yourself permission to relax and not sightsee all the time
- If going to an area with terrible pollution consider a face mask. I have yet to wear one myself (see above re planes)
- Find Time to Work Out- go for a walk, have a swim, grab the gym