Sandy was a nasty heck of a storm (first hurricane and then a storm) – and its after effects will be around for a long time.
I was almost stuck because of this storm, and only got out just in time before life in the Midwest got interesting (and it was troublesome enough – trust me).
However, its left the North Eastern Corridor in one hell of a state, and be it donations of time, money, items or miles, there are a load of ways you can help. Some of them can accrue miles (and if you do it through your affiliated airline credit card, you’ll earn miles anyway), but here is a small list courtesy of MommyPoints and Wandering Aramean – of airline and hotel related how to helps:
- JetBlue is matching customer donations up to the first $50,000 donated to the American Red Cross and also offering 6 points per dollar to their TrueBlue members. JetBlue is also making their presence felt on the ground in New York City, paying for meals from the Wafels & Dinges food trucks to be distributed to residents.
- Delta is donating $100,000 to the American Red Cross relief efforts. Additionally, SkyMiles members can also donate miles or money to the Red Cross; there does not appear to be any miles promotion associated with it at this time.
- United Airlines is matching up to $100,000 in donations to three charities: the American Red Cross, Feeding America and AmeriCares. As of this morning their members have already donated more than $300,000 to the charities so the match is maxed out. Additionally, members who give a minimum of $50 will receive 250 bonus miles.Donations of $100 or more will receive 500 miles. The company will issue up to 5 million miles as part of the effort.
- American Airlines is offering 250 AAdvantage miles to members who donate $50 and 500 miles to members who donate $100 or more.
- Hilton is offering 10 HHonors points for every $1 donated (through their GlobalGiving site) through the end of the year.
- Starwood Preferred Guest will match points donations made to the American Red Cross through November 30th. Donations start at 2,000 SPG points.
- Salvation Army accepts donations of United and Delta miles with a minimum of 1,000 miles.
- Additionally, when you make charity donations using your US Bank FlexPerks card, you earn 3x for your donation
I’m also going to put my foot in this to help because I can (as well as some of the other Boarding Area bloggers)
- Mommy Points
- Deals We Like
- Very Good Points
- View from the Wing
- Wandering Aramean
- and GhettoIFE.com of course!
Leave a comment about the storm - either how you were affected, if your travel plans were hit, or what you’re doing to help.
Drop your comment in the comments box below and I’ll donate $1 per comment. Deadline is 12:00 8th November 2012EST.
Together with the blogs, above, we’re aiming to donate up to US$1800, and we need your help by filling in the comments boxes please!
In addition, I’ve found a three extra “remove before flight” keyrings so there will be a draw for those for those who add a comment to the box below.
Thank you for your consideration and reading this post – Lets do some good together people and show that we care.
And a special note of thanks to MommyPoints who has organised this.