A few months ago I stood in line with hundreds of other would-be-travelers to get certificates for 20,000 free Spirit miles in celebration of their new Houston routes.  Including my parents, my family scored 100,000 free miles that day just for waiting in a pretty short line.  It was great!  Spirit is a very no-frills airline, but I didn’t care.  Free travel is free travel, and I was happy to try Spirit out for myself.  My parents had already tried it out here and had no real complaints.

I knew that Spirit miles expire after three months of no account activity, but I wasn’t quite sure how they manage that expiration.  I had logged into my account and didn’t see any evidence that they were about to expire even though I knew their time was probably short-lived since I got the miles back in October.  Sure enough, I got an alert from Award Wallet last week that they will expire on January 31st.  That meant I had to book a flight using them by that deadline.  The flight didn’t have to happen by then, but I had to commit to my travel plans.  After looking at all the trips we are lucky enough to have on the books for the rest of the year, it was clear that adding another one just was not in the cards.  Husband is maxed on vacations, our parents are maxed with keeping C while we go on some trips, and we are just maxed out in general on being away from home.  It is a great problem to have, but the reality was clearly that we were not going to be able to use the free miles.

I played around a little and saw that you can use the miles to book a flight for someone else.  Perfect!  While I am lucky enough to have an over-filled travel schedule, I know not all of my friends and family members are in the same situation.  I posted on my personal Facebook account that I had a few free Spirit flights if anyone wanted them.  I honestly didn’t know if I would get a response or not – sure enough within seconds/minutes I had a few different friends who were interested and within about 20 minutes one couple had lined up family members to keep their two young kids while they traveled, and they had found award availability to Vegas using my free miles.  They haven’t had a kid-free vacation in a long time, and I am so excited for them!  Much, much better than having the miles expire unused.

I know some of y’all also got free Spirit miles, so in case you aren’t going to be able to use them either, consider sharing them with someone else.  To use them for someone else all you really need to do is delete your Spirit number on this page and then enter the other person’s info.  Also make sure to warn the recipients about some of Spirit’s fees and how to avoid most of them (feel free to send them to my parent’s trip review linked above that covers most of that info).

I know some people will likely comment that they wouldn’t even want their enemies to fly Spirit, much less their friends.  That’s all well and good, but how insanely fortunate are many of us in the miles and points world that we are able to share trips like this with friends and family members.  At the end of the day it is just an airplane that gets you from Point A to Point B, and as long as it is safe, that is all that matters.  I seriously don’t think that my friends are going to care that Spirit charges them for a drink.  They are going to be thrilled to have a few kid-free days in Vegas where they can have some real drinks.

Never turn down some free travel – just be ready to share it with friends if you aren’t able to use it.  Have you ever been able to share some travel you weren’t going to be able to use with friends or family members?

14 Responses to “Using My Spirit Miles…For Someone Else”

1. Travel Bug says:

Where did your friends decide to go? It would be nice to hear about their experience. I’m convinced that most of the anti-Spirit hype is overdone. A lot of the negative reviews I’ve read on yelp sound like infrequent travelers complaining about luggage fees. Your parents’ trip report was really useful given the lack of trustworthy info about Spirit (in my opinion).

I have some spirit miles that I’m planning on using for a day trip to Florida. The only way I figured out to keep them from expiring is charging something to the BoA Spirit credit card regularly. I have my monthly netflix fee going to the card each month.

2. Grant says:

That’s good travel Karma. Always try to help someone if you can.

3. SC Parent says:

Great use of points!

4. Larry says:

Spirit is definitely a Love Hate relationship. Like Travel Bug, I have used my Spirit Credit Card for my coffee trips in the morning, mainly for the activity to make sure my miles don’t expire. BTW, I think B of A increased spending rewards to 2 miles per dollar spent. Not bad, when considering it’s only 2,500 miles for off-peak travel from Atlantic City (ACY) to Myrtle Beach or Fort Lauderdale. So, for a little over $1000 in spend, I can get an off peak trip. I used it recently to fly from ACY to Tampa to see the Eagles/Buccaneers football game. Flights were expensive that weekend and the Spirit flight home was oversold (no, I didn’t take the bump). All for 2,500 miles per seat. Yes, it has to be off-peak, and yes, you need the Spirit Credit Card, and yes, many of their employees were apparently trained by Ryan Air, but it’s nice to have a No-Frills option. They are coming to Philadelphia, and actually am looking to spend more on my Spirit CC, just so I have more options than the normal AA, Delta, USAir, United. Also, my wife’s AMEX Platinum card is tied in to $200/year in Spirit reimbursements to cover baggage fees, and drinks. It works well together.

Travel Bug, they are heading to Vegas. From Houston the availability on Spirit to Vegas is decent, so availability sort of picked the destination for them. ;) My dad also has the Spirit credit card and it is the best way to keep Spirit miles from expiring. It is also an insane deal to get some flights for just 2,500 points each way with that card! Spirit does have its downsides for sure (especially in the case of irregular operations), but you often can’t beat the price in dollars or points.
    Grant, agreed.
    SC Parent, fingers crossed they have a great time! Maybe if they hit it big in Vegas they can cover my flights next time. Ha ha!
    Larry, agree it isn’t bad at all. It is actually an amazing deal that doesn’t get the coverage it deserves. I actually plan to write more about it soon (and may be laughed out of the blog-o-sphere as a result), but pairing it with the Amex Plat was a great strategy.

6. jamie says:

lol! … you might be laughed out of the blog-o-sphere for writing about Spirit Airlines. :-)

7. Tom says:

Glad to hear I wasn’t the only one who had trouble using those free miles! :)

I scoured their calendar for weeks trying to find a suitable flight. I found mostly flights (from IAH) ‘cost’ too much in miles (I only had the 20k), or if they were close in bookings, the ‘fees’ can add up to nearly the same as a paid ticket. :( I initially got excited for one trip, until I realized that with the fees, my 20k miles was saving me a whopping $14 over a paid ticket. Wah wah waaa..

I got frustrated and let it go for a while, then checked back early this month.. miraculously I found flights to Chicago for exactly 20k and a princely $20 in fees (assuming I don’t go for any extras). :) So, early next month I’ll be doing a Chicago weekend.

The only other option I had was to get their credit card (groan) as a way to extend the miles expiration date.. And as you mention that also drastically reduces the mile cost (10k flights go down to 2.5k!). The thing is, if you were a single, ‘efficient’ flyer (i.e. Spirit doesn’t bother you), and just want to FLY, their credit card is actually not a bad deal. If I was back in my college days, I would have loved such a card. You could fly off somewhere nearly every month, with minimal spend.

8. Seek says:

Is spirit like other airlines that’ll have a marketplace where you can extend point lives by buying something through their portal (by getting 10 miles from a small purchase)? I did that a while back on us air to extend with no flights planned.

Jamie, ;)
    Tom, glad you found a use for yours! I agree the Spirit CC is a rocking deal if you fall into the crew that can travel efficiently. ;)
    Seek, they do have a few other ways to earn miles, but they don’t have a shopping portal. Here are a few ways they do have: http://customersupport.spirit.com/entries/21361942-how-can-i-earn-miles-in-the-free-spirit-frequent-flier-program

10. Joey says:

That’s really awesome!!! Definitely amazing travel karma will go your way. If by October I still have unused United global premier complimentary upgrades, I normally give them away to friends who will be travelling far away in Nov/Dec.

11. Rodney Buck says:

what if you don’t have enough miles to book a flight? I flew Spirit this past November for the first time and I have a little over 800 miles and have no plans to fly spirit anytime soon. Is there some way someone could make use of them even though it’ not enough for a ticket?

12. Jeff says:

SO SUPER HELPFUL! My friends and I all thank you!

13. Vick says:

If you have 800 miles, you can order magazine and be done with it.

14. Art says:

The hidden problem with Spirit credit card is the $59 annual fee, which came as a surprise a year later. They got me that time, but we cancelled 11 months later. Now need to use our miles. I certainly will be checking out this post, as the Spirit homepage is elusive on miles for someone else.