For several years now American has had unofficial links offering 50,000 mile sign-up bonuses on their co-branded Citi AAdvantage cards. The applications weren’t intended to be live for so long and as a result didn’t have landing pages, though it’s my understanding that Citi couldn’t actually figure out how to pull the pages, which is why they stayed around for so long.

As I noted in my best credit card offers for June post last week, and as Mommy Points noted yesterday, the 50,000 mile offers on all Citi AAdvantage cards are now dead. It was a slow death, as the higher sign-up bonus on the Visa version of the card stuck around for a while, but the last link was finally pulled last week. Anyway, while it’s possible we’ll see a public 50,000 mile sign-up bonus again, I certainly wouldn’t count on it, at least anytime soon.

As of now the best sign-up links for the three Citi AAdvantage cards are as follows:

All three cards offer a sign-up bonus of 40,000 AAdvatage miles after spending $3,000 on the card within three months. While there’s a $95 annual fee on the cards, they’re waived for the first year. That’s still a very good sign-up bonus, and on par with the sign-up bonus on the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

And the personal cards both come with features that actually make the card worth keeping long term, in my opinion, including:

• • Get the first eligible bag checked free for you and up to 4 travel companions.
  • • Enjoy Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges and use the extra time to prepare for your flight.1
  • • Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount each year of cardmembership in which you spend $30,000 or more in purchases and renew your cardmembership.2
  • • Earn AAdvantage® miles for using AAdvantage® miles. Earn 10% of your redeemed
    AAdvantage® miles back — up to 10,000 AAdvantage® miles each calendar year.5
  • • Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases3 and 1
    AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases.6
  • • Receive a 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card.7

If you’re not an elite member the first checked bag free and priority boarding are certainly worth something. Though this is one of those airline cards that’s worth keeping even if you’re an elite member, given the 10% rebate when using AAdvantage miles. When you redeem AAdvantage miles you’ll automatically be credited back 10% of them, up to 10,000 miles per year. I redeem well over 100,000 AAdvantage miles per year, so always get the maximum amount of 10,000 miles refunded. To me that more than justifies the annual fee of $95. It’s worth noting that this is only available on the personal cards, and it’s not “stackable” (meaning even if you have both the MasterCard and Visa you can still only earn the 10,000 rebate). The refund will automatically be credited to your account, and you don’t even have to pay with your Citi card to qualify for it.

For what it’s worth you can typically only be approved for a single Citi AAdvantage card in a day, and while you can often earn the bonus on a card more than once, you typically have to wait at least 18 months between applications (based on the date of approval and not the date you cancel the card). That being said, many report having to wait longer or having luck earning the bonus again sooner, so it really seems to be a case of “your mileage may vary.”

So while it’s sad the 50,000 mile sign-up offer is gone, 40,000 miles is nothing to scoff at either.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I earn a referral bonus for anyone approved through the above link for the AAdvantage Mastercard or Chase Sapphire Preferred, though the links for the AAdvantage Visa and AAdvantage Business MasterCard aren’t my affiliate links)

1. June 8th, 2013 at 9:41 am

Geoff said,

Just received 50,000 yesterday. Used a link with no landing page. They still appear to be working on just $2500 spend.

2. June 8th, 2013 at 10:44 am

afterbang said,

It took about a month, but I finally got the 10% mile rebate for an award I booked. Thanks for mentioning it isn’t stackable, as I was wondering. However I have the personal Amex and business Visa (both opened same day in 2010), neither of which is on your list.. if they don’t give retention bonuses this year, I should have no problem getting bonuses for for a personal and/or biz, based on time and different products, correct? Also, you mention only one AA card in a day, I take it 1 personal and 1 biz in 1 day no longer works? If so, how long between apps is safe?

3. June 8th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

@ Geoff — Do you have a link to that offer?

4. June 8th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

ABC said,

@Geoff, what’s the link?

5. June 8th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

@ afterbang — Correct, my understanding is that you won’t want to get a business and personal card the same day. You should be eligible for a new card, though, if you haven’t had one of the personal cards in the past 18 months.

6. June 8th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Jorge said,

Pssst. Take some time off, disconnect, and enjoy your vacation with your Mom.

I took my Mom once to Hawaii, first class trip for her and she says it was our best trip and time together, and it will be in her heart forever.

Dont worry, we will patiently await your blog posts, but for now, enjoy your vacations.

You are a very sweet good son !!!

7. June 8th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Denis said,

I’m with Jorge on this one

8. June 8th, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Glenn said,

So, what’s the best advice for churning Citi AA Cards now?

Is it wait 18+ months between approval and new application of:

- Any Citi AA Card?
    - The last time you had this specific Citi AA Card?

Also I think the advice on the CitiBusiness AA Card is different, but can’t recall what the rules for new applications are.

9. June 8th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

@ Jorge @ Denis — Appreciate the concern, though can assure you we’re spending plenty of time together. I don’t sleep a lot when I travel while my mom has been sleeping a bit more, so that leaves plenty of internet time.

After working around HK yesterday morning for six hours she needed a nap while I didn’t, so I was able to blog a bit.

Having a great time, though!

10. June 8th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Richard said,

The 10% mileage redemption rebate has been hit or miss for me. Sometimes it happens automatically, sometimes after 3 months I have to complain before the miles post.

11. June 8th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Miles said,

I have some Citi AA MCs that provided nice bonuses 24+ months ago. Is it necessary to cancel them before applying again?

12. June 8th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

@ Miles — I do believe you have to cancel before applying again, though I could be mistaken. I’ve never tried having more than one given that I don’t see a benefit in having two of the cards.

13. June 8th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

@ Glenn — Common wisdom is to apply for no more than one card in a day and no more than two cards every 65 days or so. My strategy is just to get one card, and then pick up the next card in my next round of applications, 65+ days later.

14. June 8th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Michael said,

Lucky,

Can’t wait to hit HK and read your review…

Q: Can I get a secondary card for my father (age 70) and son (age 20) so that they can enjoy all the benefits of the card. If so, how much are additional cards and do they indeed receive the same bennies as the initial card holder?

15. June 8th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

@ Michael — Additional cards are free, but it’s worth noting the 10% mileage rebate, priority boarding, and free checked bag only apply when reservation is linked to AAdvantage number of primary cardholder.