Hyatt is offering 10% discounts on the purchase of Hyatt gift cards via two methods at the moment:

• Through the end of the year Gold Passport members can receive a 10% discount on the purchase of up to $2,000 worth of gift cards by using promotion code GPGIFT
  • If you buy a Milepoint premium membership for $49.95 you get a coupon code for 10% off the purchase of Hyatt gift cards, up to $5,000 worth of Hyatt gift cards

That’s a pretty amazing value for any frequent Hyatt guest, though as I wrote about back in October, Hyatt also participates in the OPEN Savings® from American Express OPEN program. Through this program you earn a 5% discount at select US Hyatt properties when paying with a card eligible for the OPEN Savings program, which includes many small business American Express cards. That discount is limited up to $10,000 of spend per calendar year. The most lucrative eligible card is The Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, which offers one Starpoint per dollar spent in addition to the 5% cash back.

Anyway, there were some questions as to whether the 5% discount would actually post when purchasing gift cards online, given that technically this only applies for purchases directly with select Park Hyatt, Andaz, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Regency and Hyatt hotels within the U.S. Anyway, to make sure gift card purchases would be eligible (as had previously been reported), I decided to purchase a $2,000 Hyatt gift card with my Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card using the GPGIFT coupon code. Hyatt charges $6 for shipping, so the total came out to $1,806.

Hyatt-Gift-Card-Discount

The gift card purchase posted the following day, as expected.

AmEx-Open-Savings

And then three days later the 5% Open Savings discount posted.

AmEx-Open-Savings1

This brought down the total cost of my $2,000 gift card purchase to $1,715.70. That’s a 14.2% discount. I also value Starpoints at about 2.2 cents each (I earned one per dollar spent), adding further to the value of this promotion.

Anyway, for anyone that was skeptical as to whether the OPEN Savings program works on the above promotion, there ya have it!

(In the interest of full disclosure I earn a referral bonus for anyone approved through some of the above links — thanks for your support!)

1. December 6th, 2013 at 7:16 am

Lively said,

Great information!

2. December 6th, 2013 at 8:23 am

iwantmoremiles said,

I used my Business card and did not get the 5% credit from American Express. I called and they said buying gift cards was not elegible.

3. December 6th, 2013 at 8:46 am

LK said,

This is in the FAQ on the Hyatt website, so does anyone have experience, if you use the gift card does it count as a stay??

“Do I receive Hyatt Gold Passport points when I redeem Hyatt Certificates and Gift Cards?”
    No. The purchase or redemption of Hyatt Certificates and Gift Cards are NOT eligible for Hyatt Gold Passport point earnings or stay credits at this time.

4. December 6th, 2013 at 9:31 am

NiceSharky said,

To clarify the FAQ: Buying a gift card is simply an exchange of one financial instrument to another (like changing a $100 bill into $20s)…it shouldn’t and doesn’t count as a stay. But you can USE the gift card to pay for a stay and it should be treated the same as cash. Using the GC for dining or other services within a Hyatt doesn’t count as a stay. I’ve had no problem paying with GC (USA only) and also got my Hyatt OPEN discount on the Milepoint GC purchase I made. I plan to keep Diamond next year with lots of Cash & Points stays.

5. December 6th, 2013 at 9:51 am

@ iwantmoremiles — You used the Starwood American Express Business Card, or which card? When did you make your purchase?

6. December 6th, 2013 at 9:52 am

@ LK — That is an odd aspect of the T&Cs, though Hyatt has confirmed that gift cards are indeed eligible for points and stay accrual.

7. December 6th, 2013 at 10:04 am

iwantmoremiles said,

American Express Business (Gold). I brought the gift cards on November 20th.

8. December 6th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Corky said,

Can you go through ebates for 2 percent more?

9. December 6th, 2013 at 8:16 pm

@ Corky — Only on the hotel bookings you make, though you can ultimately pay for those bookings with your card.

10. December 7th, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Susan said,

Okay – a question here – I have the AMEX SPG Business card. Do I have to ‘sign up’ for OPEN? I don’t recall getting any cash back on travel expenses with it… what am I missing, Ben?

11. December 7th, 2013 at 10:20 pm

@ Susan — No need to register. Have you paid for domestic US Hyatt stays with the SPG Business AmEx and not been reimbursed?

12. December 10th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Al said,

not all properties eligible for the amex open network discount.

13. December 15th, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Biggles209 said,

I have the same experience as @iwantmoremiles. AmEx Business Gold – nothing posted, so I called. Gift cards are not eligible.